1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Exploding Bottles of Red Brick Laughing Skull

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gwdavis, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

I saw another post on the boards that involved red brick beers just a moment ago, and it reminded me of an incident I went through not too long ago involving some bottles of laughing skull. My dad had purchased a few six packs a couple months ago, and due to a lack of fridge space he gave them to me. I also didn't have the space quite yet when he gave them to me to refrigerate them, so they stayed in the six pack holder in my room for maybe two weeks. Now my best guess at this point is that these beers are probably in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 months from their bottling date.

Here's the odd part; one night I'm asleep in my room, and I hear a loud explosion coming from somewhere in the room. I wake up, and I hear another pop. After turning my lights on, I realized that these loud pops had come from two bottles of laughing skull. Beer was all over the place, and I was forced to clean my whole room at about 4am. My question is what would make these beers do such a thing? Can keeping them too long in their bottles without refrigeration make them explode?

2. they refermented, a danger when you bottle sweet beer with live yeast

3. gwdavis

Ok, I figured that it had something to do with the style of beer, but I had just never had that issue before. Thanks for the info!

4. Either they added too much priming sugar ( not likely since it took four months), or the beer was infected and continued to ferment in the bottle eating at the remaining unfermented sugars. Drink one and see if it tastes like it was supposed to, but open it in the sink because it is sure to be a gusher.

5. gwdavis

If I remember correctly, the beer tasted pretty normal compared to other Laughing Skulls I have had in the past.

6. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

that is the risk you run when you bottle ferment brews, especially on a micro-brewery level.

7. gwdavis

All the more reason for me to purchase and immediately consume :)