1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Exponential Hoppiness vs Younger?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HenryD, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HenryD

HenryD Disciple (60) New York Feb 4, 2013

A friend sent me a recent link about a place in Philly that will host a Pliny the Younger tasting. It made me wonder. Has anyone compared the younger to any of the say, Alpine beers? I'd have to drive 6.5 hours to Philly to "maybe" taste a Younger but I am lucky enough to get (and have) Alpine Duet, Nelson, Pure Hoppiness & Exponential Hoppiness. My feeling is driving 6.5 hours to taste the younger is not worth what i already have in my fridge! Not to mention the elder, blind pig, zombie dust and Heady i have in there! Has anyone done a blind tasting? I have heard the exponential is right up there if not as good as Younger. Is the fact Younger is not bottled make people belive it's "has" to be better? If it was bottled would it be as big a deal? Thoughts?

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Not worth driving 6.5 hours. Personally I like Elder better.

3. I have had both very close in time (not side by side) and preferred the Younger honestly. Seemed a bit brighter and refreshing to me.

I will say I think they both vary batch to batch as this last batch of Expo is really good and better then I previously remember.

4. They are really not that much alike at all. Expo, while fantastic will start to sit heavy in your stomach after 20oz. I prefer Bad Boy when it cones to Alpine's DIPAs.

Last week I drank 70oz of Younger and still wanted more but my wife wouldn't have it.

One is a bit more in your face, and the other is more delicate if that makes sense.

Good luck on your Journey and CHEERS!

5. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Anyone know where to buy Alpine beers online? Can't get them in Ohio but would like to try them

6. I don't know anywhere that sells them online, but they should easy to obtain from a good BA for other shelf beers.

7. To add, Younger to me is a more consentrated and refined PtE that somehow manages to be smoother, despite it's ABV.

I wouldn't drive that far if there was a oz limit placed per person, that's for sure.

Hope this helps some.

8. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The fact that it is a very limited release makes people believe it has to be better. It is far better than the Elder, though not nearly as good as Heady. Whether it is worth it to drive 6.5 hours to maybe try it isn't really contingent on the beers that are already in your fridge, seeing as how this will likely be the only way you'll ever get to try the Younger. It's contingent on whether tasting a massively hyped beer, which even to non-hype buyers like me is very good, is worth your time.

Seeing as how there is a lot to do in Philly, beer-related and otherwise, a visit here can be made to be worth it, even if Younger alone is not. Hit up Monk's Cafe and have a beer at the place where Belgian beer was launched as a salable product in the U.S. Visit Yards Brewing Co. for a tour, and stop into one of the other two dozen world-class beer bars. Go to a bottle shop and laugh at how much we have to pay for single beers here.

9. It's not worth the drive for a taste. The beer is amazing but each Younger tasting I have been to I got 1 8oz glass. If you we're able to get multiple glass maybe it's worth it. You can't get much better or better period than Exponential Hoppiness.

10. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (385) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

To tick or not to tick? That is the question.

11. Younger is an amazing world class beer but it's over hyped. There are a number of big IPAs I would choose over it in a blind tasting. I think the hype is the availability and the high abv. For example if Expo was 11% and released once a year, draft only, dont you think it would cause the same uproar? All I'm saying here is where Younger is one of the top IPAs Ive ever had it's not worth a 6.5 hour drive when you have Topper and Alpine in your fridge.

Doug_Render and HopsintheSack like this.
  12. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

I think expo is a fantastic beer but if I had to choose I would go with younger out of the two. Younger is fantastic but I prefer the stealth tappings that you can actually sit down and enjoy the beer. I am not a fan of waiting in line to hopefully get one glass. That being said I would probably choose heady topper over any other beer that I have had the pleasure of trying.

13. I agree, Expo was just an example. I'm new to SD from NH so I'm use to having Hill Farmstead growlers and day old Topper in my fridge. I'd have to agree Vermont has the best IPAs in the world. For me fresh Abner takes the cake just barely over Topper but I'm pretty much just splitting hairs between the two.

phingdong, Doug_Render and gibby like this.
  14. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (315) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

brother_kenneth likes this.
  15. HenryD

RE: the people asking about purchasing on-line. It's not easy to find them, but they do exist. Problem is 1) Fed Ex shipping minimun $25 and up then you deal with "1 bottle limit". So it creates the problem of a beer that costs $7-$8 now costing double with shipping factored in. Also, minimum 6 bottle order total so at times a 6 that you make up can cost near $100 with shipping/packing costs. Agree with the above poster re: Hill, sadly if you can't drive there, so many get deprived of their stuff.

16. HenryD

After you pay those shipping/packing costs enough, unless your loaded you can't afford to get those beers all the time. Luckilly where i am Ballast just started distributing so i'm more than happy drinking a Sculpin or a Lagunitas Hop stupid or sucks or a double jack IPA and be more than fine and not pay crazy prices.

17. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I prefer Exponential Hoppiness meself.

18. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Then you should get out and drink more San Diego IPA's. You mention 2 Vermont breweries and there's 60+ in SD. Of course not all of them are great, but a bunch are incredibly damn good.

fuzzylogic likes this.
  19. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

I really enjoyed the current batch of Expo....Younger is great just enjoy Expo better

20. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Exponential Hoppiness has had a slew of problems in the last 5 years, a couple of them being quite egregious (hot solvent/jet fuel flavors and/or severe malt imbalance). Younger has had a couple of batches that were not-as-fantastic but none that were what I consider "not drinkable" or the Expo missteps.

21. . . . TALKING ABOUT!

~THE END~

22. I'd take Expo, Bad Boy, Keene Idea, Nelson, Ruination 10th, Enjoy By, The Pupil, Heady Topper, and Abrasive over Younger, although I do think Younger is still a great beer.

23. This post comes out once per year. I am a huge Alpine guy living 1/2 mile from brewery. That said I would give a slight nod to PtY and that's only because it is slightly sweeter.

24. My what IPA's in my fridge bragging threads ;)

25. True, but for me it quality over quantity ;)

phingdong likes this.
  26. Sat down at O'brien's PtY tapping with a bottle of Expo (along with PtE, Sculpin, others)... 4 out of 5 rated Expo the highest. 1 of 5 thought PtE was better than both... all were delicious

27. MacNCheese

Please. Although if you have some HT and want to do a blind tasting for what you think is a better IPA I'm all in!

28. Expo IS 11%.

29. I dont mean to sound arrogant I've just been fortunate enough to do blind tastings with whale IPAs and [in my opinion] Vermont's where its at. I know naturally [unfortunately] people tend to be "homers" when it comes to comparing beer which is why I agree blind tastings are the best way to compare.

phingdong likes this.
  30. Good call; its better too ;) [Imo]

31. MacNCheese

What San Diego spots have you hit so far? I've never had HT, seems tough to trade for...interested to try it. But given the rumored 'floaties' it'd be easy to pick out visuallyin a lineup. I have no doubt it may be the best from the east coast.

32. Ive been to most every brewery in SD, LOVE Societe and Alpine IPAs. Societe will be big for sure-
    I'm actually moving back to NH in about a month and would be glad to set up a trade for some fresh NE IPAs so you can test for yourself. As far as the floaties, they dont seem to be copious in every can so you could def work around it. Blind fold if you had to, if its just about taste.

33. I prefer Younger to Expo (and most Alpine) but the conditions most likely influence that. Had Younger fresh on tap at RR within a week of release and the Expo in a bottle shipped all the way to NH.

I probably wouldn't drive 6.5 hours for a "chance" to taste Younger in Philly, but would if it was 6.5 hours to RR and you could stay there for hours and drink 4 glasses, etc.

Also agree with jammalamma on VT IPAs being the best, but if trying Younger is always going to be an itch that you have to scratch, I guess you'll have to eventually go for it (it's a fantastic beer fresh).

jammalamma likes this.
  34. They are both great but I gave Younger a slightly better score.

35. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

/
    You sound a little arrogant. Just joking. Maybe. Saying one of these Whales is better than the other is like saying Kate Uptons left breast is better than her right breast.

albertq17 and danwho like this.
  36. Ha, well put- I wish I had the opportunity to sample them for flaws, I'm sure I'd find none!

Thats the sometimes hugely surprising beauty of blind tastings, finding where big beers truly stand; personally. If you go the extra mile and blind fold for the tastings it almost seems to heighten the subtle nuances in smell, taste and mouthfeel. Kind of fun thing to do with big IPAs.

37. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Not worth a 6+ hour drive, IMO. Drink yo Alpine and be happy :)

38. rails

rails Aficionado (170) California Nov 8, 2012

Expo is better had both it & Pliny this year on draft