1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Extending the microbreweries excise refund scheme

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by spicelab, May 9, 2012.

1. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

dansmcd likes this.
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Definitely good news!

If only Craig Thomson was involved then we would have the trifecta...but he was probably too "busy"
    dansmcd likes this.
  3. hmmm, and they are pushing out some fairly stiff competition in that regard, as well...
  4. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Very good news considering the rest of the budget (well, what I've heard anyway).
  5. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

That's what makes it all the more impressive. If you look at the lengths the govt has gone to in squeezing dollars out of every nook and cranny of the economy, giving up $10 million over forward estimates isn't small beer.
  6. Don't you see it is the lefties that are the biggest growing market for the craft brewers...and from my experience, I'm not surprised...;)
  7. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

I think everybody is so shocked that this has happened that they dont quite believe it. Not much forum activity on this today!
  8. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

B.S.

I've heard Abbott loves a good Cantillon
    spicelab and joecast like this.
  9. any references to Politicians and Blind Pig would obviously be out of order, as well....
    joecast likes this.
  10. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

He was asked about that in a press conference tonight. Why Cantillon is his favorite. They just are he says.
    Can't argue with that.
    spicelab likes this.
  11. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Wait... is this a joke? (The Tony Abbot/Cantillon thing?)

And I barely believed it when I read it. Great first steps. I think the best thing was upping the litre threshold.
  12. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Of course it's a joke

He prefers Fantôme
  13. ALEBOY

ALEBOY Savant (315) Australia May 31, 2003

Exactly. Great first steps indeed. It should provide many breweries with a range of options to assist in growth and the wording is such that it can easily be extended year upon year.
    As for what Abbot drinks.... 2 years ago Abbot and Gillard both visited the Newcastle/Hunter region on the same day. Both visited pubs. Abbot had a pot/middy of light beer shandy. Gillard had a schooner of black.
    True story.
  14. erm, the word Un-Australian comes to mind....:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing !
  15. I concur...only women and Europeans drink shandies...
  16. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

I've seen a few shandies served to men at country bowling clubs and even at the pub I used to work at...doesn't mean I get the rationale though:)
  17. Should have said mostly...then there are the ones that like a splash of lemonade to top it off...I should have just refused them service ;)
  18. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

I was at an RSL with my grandfather once and the bar-tender had short poured his beer somewhat. He asked the bar-tender 'Do you think you can fit some lemonade in there?' Bartender: 'Yes, of course sir.' Grandad: 'Fill the c__t up with beer then.' First and last time I ever heard him swore.
    danieelol and MrKennedy like this.