1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Extras Etiquette

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by CSO, Apr 26, 2014.

1. CSO

CSO Savant (380) Illinois Jan 31, 2014

Hi All.

Odd question, but if someone on the first trade threw in a 4 year old DIPA as an extra, but everything else about the trade was fine, would it be out of line to extra that same beer back on a subsequent trade?

2. "re-gifting" an extra to someone else is 100% fine. I do this all the time for styles I don't happen to love.

however if it's a beer you were embarrassed to receive why would you give it to someone else? IOW, however you feel about your current trade partner is the same as someone else is going to feel about you if you give them this old beer.

Lorianneb likes this.
  3. CSO

I would be sending this beer back to the same person I received it from, just on a new trade. That's the question: would it be perceived as an asshole move?

4. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Champion (815) Washington May 21, 2013

Do you mean passive aggressively sending the same beer BACK to the person that sent it to you? Yeah, I think that would be out of line. I think the right thing to do would be to man up and tell them that sending 4 year old IPAs as extras is like sending a moldy sandwich. Unless it's a 4 year old 120 min IPA in which case you should enjoy it.

miketd likes this.
  5. Kurmaraja

Yes.

exitmusic00 and jrnyc like this.
  6. Which DIPA is it?

7. I mean, it doesn't matter what the extra is, sending it back to the person you got it from would be a very weird thing to do

exitmusic00 and jrnyc like this.
  8. CSO

It was my 2nd or 3rd trade, so I didn't know the protocol. It was a 2011 Double Jack. Sending it back would be more of a joke in my opinion, but again, that's why I'm asking the question.

9. Yes. Just drain pour that beer and forget about it!

markgugs likes this.
  10. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

Just some feedback, do with it what you like. But IMO extras are just that, extra. Had the agreed upon trade included a 4 year old DIPA instead of a fresher one, I think you'd have a legitimate beef. But I try not to get too bent out of shape about extras. Sometimes they are weak instances of people cleaning out their cellar of the stuff they don't want. But sometimes they are the epitome of generosity. Let it go I say.

miketd likes this.
  11. CSO

Cool. I will do my usual and send extras I think they will enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

12. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

You got it! Cheers man!

13. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

If the person who threw in a 4 year old IPA is a new trader, the nice thing to do is to mention that its not cool to send it and explain why...Sending it back is a total dick move imo...Also, why not try it? who knows, maybe you will like it, maybe not...But I have had a few DIPAS that have been pretty darn good with age...

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Just pour it, could be whoever traded it didn't know it was dated, didn't know DIPA's don't age, I wouldn't assume anything. Xtras are Xtras, I would let it go.

mythaeus likes this.
  15. tommyz

not entirely true

16. nc41

It would be an assumption for an xtra. It's not like he was trading DJ said it was fresh and it's old. I know BA's who age big DIPA's, Hopslam etc, out of curiosity, like the malt profile as the hops fade. I would assume most know IPA's don't age well, but to assume everyone does may not be the case. Besides it's still an extra, he didn't have to send any.

17. tommyz

No doubt, but Double Crooked tree is really good aged imo...With that said, id never send it as an extra..

18. nc41

I wouldn't either, I only trade fresh Hoppy stuff, and expect the same back. I still see some trades ISO Abrasive and it could be from Nov 2013 if it flips.

tommyz likes this.
  19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Send me that Double Jack as I'd like to see how it tastes now. I know it won't have a lot of the fresher hop qualities but It is still drinkable

20. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Was this a new trader or an established trader who should know better?

It seems to be becoming more common that people send extras that are (1) available in their trading partners area, and/or (2) old.

However, some DIPAs age nicely. Personally, I like Apocalypse Cow with a year or two on it versus fresh.

21. markgugs

markgugs Champion (990) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

at the end of the day, it's still an EXTRA. it wasn't like the guy stiffed the OP and dropped old hoppy beer in as part of the agreed upon trade. no room for complaint.

now, is it common trade courtesy? no, and I wouldn't do it, but it's still just an extra

/thread

22. lookrider

lookrider Savant (415) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Yes, yes. I get it - extras are extra. But if you're going to send extras, why send some crappy, lowly rated beer that is mediocre at best? If you're going to send extras, send ones that are of the quality you would like to receive yourself. In fact, why not always send extras and good ones at that? Be generous. Trade like a wild man. Beer is fun - make people smile.

wuntrikpony, Theortiz01 and jrnyc like this.
  23. Kurmaraja

Sure, we'll all agree with the spirit of generosity in a forum, but it's what we do "behind closed doors" on a trade that really matters. I think what everyone is saying is don't pillory the guy for throwing in a crappy extra since it's just an extra - they're not saying "they're just extras so don't worry about sending great stuff." Your advice is about what to do. But this isn't a thread about what to do; it's about how to evaluate what people do to you. And I think we all agreee that you may want to re-consider deepening a trading relationship with someone that sees trades with you as a way to offload their unwanted beers instead of an opportunity to surprise and delight you.

mythaeus and fatsnowman22 like this.
  24. Agree. It's so old I'm inclined to think the guy was sending something he thought might be of interest as a barley wine.

25. randjuke

randjuke Aficionado (205) Iowa Feb 13, 2010

I'm starting to specify "no extras please" more often with my trades. Too much stressing out trying to figure out what the other guy might have in his cellar or can buy off the shelf in his area or what styles he likes. If people want to expand the trade with some lesser beers that's fine but the whole extras thing gets out of hand at times.

On the OP, sending back the same extra you received to the same person would indeed be an asshat move. If you're going to do extras then try to send something you think the other trader will like.

26. I think the "no extras" thing is kind of lame. I literally do not care if I do not receive an extra, and the extras I throw in tend to have a wide range, and its totally random. In regards to OP's point, I would take a sip of the 2011 Double Jack just cuz its such an oddity, and if its gross pour it down the drain and forget about it.

27. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html

28. Ckoz

Ckoz Savant (260) Michigan Feb 15, 2014

I always include something I usually know the other person cannot get. There are some great local small breweries that just started up that have some fantastic shelf beers. I send those to not only let the other guy try something new and different but to also help the local breweries in the process with a small bit of exposure. It isn't much but I know that if I owned a brewery and saw some guy in Texas or California checking in my beer on untappd or some other venue and liked the beer...that would make my day.

I was on the receiving end of a great Texas brew that didnt have distro...I asked the guy to send me a 6 pack of it I was so impressed. So i've been on the other side of it and see how cool it can be to find something you really like that you would likely never have tried.

But yet I do check bottling dates as that is important.

29. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (540) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Is it possible this guy does not know ipa's dont age well? This would make for a teachable moment.