1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Extreme Beer Fest: Sometimes Bigger Is Better

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After 10 years of Extreme Beer Fest, we've decided to make some big changes based on new goals, and feedback from attendees and brewers. In a nutshell: We're changing venues, inviting more brewers, giving more attendees a chance to experience the fest and augmenting the education component.

WHAT?
    Extreme Beer Fest is the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity. Join us as we celebrate brewers who push the boundaries of brewing and raise a fist at the norm. Minds will be blown. Palates will be inspired. Prepare for epicness.

"As an off-centered brewery focused on playing outside stylistic guidelines every day since we opened in 1995, this is a movement we at Dogfish Head have always believed in. With the explosive interest in extreme brewing these days, we agreed with the Alströms that now is the right time to move EBF to a venue that will allow for more awesome beers to be served and more awesome beer lovers to experience them."

-- Sam Calagione, President and Founder, Dogfish Head Brewery

Presented by BeerAdvocate. Sponsored by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. Don't accept imitations.

http://extremebeerfest.com

VENUE, DATES & TIMES
    In an attempt to pull the fest out of the snow, Extreme Beer Fest will be held on Friday, March 21 & Saturday, March 22, 2014, at the Seaport World Trade Center in Boston, Mass.

• Session A = March 21, 6-9:30pm
    • Session B = March 22, 1-4:30pm
    • Session C = March 22, 6-9:30pm
    Night of the Barrels will no longer be held the Friday of Extreme Beer Fest; however, brewers will be encouraged to bring barrel-aged beers, and we'll be announcing exciting plans for Night of the Barrels' future soon.

TICKETS
    Tickets will be $55 per session (service fees apply) and available via Eventbrite starting on Saturday, November 16, at 12pm EST. Limited to 2,250 tickets sold per session.

BREWERS & BEERS
    Extreme Beer Fest will feature over 60 brewers pouring over 240 extreme beers, doubling the number of breweries and beers from last year. And once again, we’ll challenge brewers to bring an "Extreme Session Beer" (ESB) that's 5% ABV or under.

EDUCATION
    Back by popular demand, our Forum series will offer a limited number of attendees a chance to expand their minds and palates during discussions with industry guests.

• $20 additional per session. Limited to 100 attendees per session.
    • Show your ticket for express entry into the fest.
    • Beers served during the forum.
    Moderated by Andy Crouch. Forum times, guests and topics to be announced.

FOOD
    We're excited to announce that we've made arrangements with the venue that will allow us to work with local food vendors in order to offer attendees more options to pair with their Extreme Beer Fest experience. List of vendors to follow.

VOLUNTEER
    We've yet to set a date to accept volunteer requests; however, those interested should keep an eye open in the BeerAdvocate Fests forum and Twitter for updates.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/forums/beeradvocate-fests.35/
    https://twitter.com/BeerAdvocate

RESPECT BEER
    Unlike most beer fests, BeerAdvocate actually pays for the beers served at our fests. We also waive booth fees to further support craft brewers. To date, we've spent well over $1 million on beers poured at our fests.

http://extremebeerfest.com

Related Links:
    http://beeradvocate.com
    http://dogfish.com
    http://eventbrite.com
    http://seaportboston.com

###
    dianimal, msween21, somenerd and 3 others like this.
  2. Initial List of Brewers:
    1. 4 Hands Brewing Co.
    2. Against The Grain Brewing Co.
    3. Allagash Brewing Co.
    4. Avery Brewing Co.
    5. Boston Beer Co.
    6. Boulevard Brewing Co.
    7. Brasserie Dunham
    8. Burley Oak Brewing Co.
    9. Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
    10. Carton Brewing
    11. Cascade Brewing Co.
    12. Cigar City Brewing
    13. Crooked Stave
    14. Dark Horse Brewing Co.
    15. Dogfish Head Brewery
    16. Evil Twin Brewing
    17. Firestone-Walker Brewing Co.
    18. Founders Brewing Co.
    19. Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    20. Green Flash Brewing Co.
    21. Half Acre Beer Co.
    22. Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
    23. Harpoon Brewery
    24. Ithaca Beer Co.
    25. Jack's Abby Brewing
    26. Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
    27. Kane Brewing Co.
    28. Kuhnhenn Brewing Co.
    29. Lagunitas Brewing Co.
    30. NERAX (cask extreme beer)
    31. Newburgh Brewing Co.
    32. Night Shift Brewing Co.
    33. Oskar Blues Brewery
    34. Pipeworks Brewing Co
    35. Prairie Artisan Ales
    36. Prism Beer
    37. Relic Brewing Co.
    38. Right Brain Brewery
    39. Shmaltz Brewing Co.
    40. Short's Brewing Co.
    41. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
    42. Sixpoint Brewery
    43. Smuttynose Brewing Co.
    44. Stone Brewing Co.
    45. Sweetwater Brewing Co.
    46. The Bruery
    47. The Funky Buddha Lounge & Brewery
    48. The Lost Abbey
    49. Throwback Brewery
    50. Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.
    51. Tree House Brewing Co.
    52. Tröegs Brewing Co.
    53. Trophy Brewing Co.
    54. Two Roads Brewing
    55. Watch City Brewing Co.
    56. Westbrook Brewing Co.
    57. Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
    ... more to follow.
    V2icki, msween21, Mike and 8 others like this.
  3. More tix and bigger venue might mean I will finally make it :D
  4. No NOTB? Hmmmmmmm not sure I like that.

Well double the amount of brews from last year, that sounds good. Sometimes bigger is better :)
  5. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

beyond epic
  6. beace

beace Savant (300) Ohio Jan 18, 2007

Cambridge?
  7. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Waiting to hear back from Will and crew. They might not have the resources to swing EBF this time.
    bnelson997 likes this.
  8. Sweet, just noticed Brasserie Dunham on the list! Great up-and-coming brewery in Quebec. Ever since Eloi took the reins, they've been on a roll. Cyked to see what he'll bring :cool:
  9. nas5755

nas5755 Savant (320) Massachusetts Jan 11, 2007

are they bringing more volume of these extreme beers, because most of the stuff runs out and now there are alot, and I mean alot more people coming each session.
    pwoody11 likes this.
  10. JSBILK

JSBILK Savant (285) Massachusetts Apr 6, 2013

Sounds like another good weekend in boston, cant wait!
  11. I wouldnt worry about oskar blues, sixpoint, harpoon, troegs, and allagash running out of beer :)
  12. Great call. I just hope the caliber of beer won't dip - some of the things at EBF were super small batch. Likewise, I hope this doesn't end in tons of special time tappings. (In fact, I'd suggest you ban those)

Overall though, I agree it's time.
  13. I agree the time tappings are bs, they essentially create a de facto 'beer fest within a beer fest' and admission is based on devoting one's time and energy to that tapping.
    LeeMarvin likes this.
  14. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

So, this new venue is where they do ACBF, and I'm guessing the number of tickets available is comparable (correct me if I'm wrong). So, anyone that's been to ACBF and EBF in the past, I'd be interested to know how the crowds/lines compare. EBF has always been the best fest I've ever attended and I'm somewhat scared of change. I'd just like a hint of what to expect.
  15. Nice!!

Kuhnhenn
    Kane
    Pipeworks
    Funky Buddha
    Prairie
    Crooked Stave
    Half Acre
    Cigar City
    Cascade

All must hits for me!

Of course Founders, The Lost Abbey, The Bruery and Firestone Walker are always on my list as well!
  16. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

"Night of the Barrels will no longer be held the Friday of Extreme Beer Fest; however, brewers will be encouraged to bring barrel-aged beers, and we'll be announcing exciting plans for Night of the Barrels' future soon."
    somenerd and kneary13 like this.
  17. Jason

I will talk to Todd about this as the both of us and our volunteers are not fans of these either.
    mdfb79, somenerd, kneary13 and 2 others like this.
  18. ryanov

ryanov Aficionado (140) New Jersey Feb 16, 2008

I'm a little disappointed. That was a neat venue. But more than that, it was nice that this beer fest was a nice size and it didn't feel like you spent your whole day in line waiting for things. Also, changing the time of the year I'm not fond of. While I realize I may be in the minority as far as appreciating Boston in the winter, I'm sure I'm not in the minority in appreciating the abnormally low hotel rates I was getting when attending this fest.

Ah well. Progress.
    BirdFlu likes this.
  19. Jason

Less than 1/2 the amount of tickets compared to ACBF, I will be working on the brewery list right up to our deadlines to ensure the caliber of beer is comparable to previous years and to keep the average line size manageable. Being able to keep and expand on the food offerings is a huge plus as well IMO.
  20. ryanov

ryanov Aficionado (140) New Jersey Feb 16, 2008

I'm not sure I agree with that either. If they don't do timed tappings, they just run out whatever beer that is in the first 10 mins, it seems.
    brystmar likes this.
  21. JAramini

Also wondering about per-person ticket limits - have a group of 5 and want to find out in advance if I'll be able to buy 5 tickets or if we need to split up purchasing.
  22. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Boston Park Plaza: $94 for March 22nd currently on Hotels.com. Hard to beat that.
    Jwale73 and Jason like this.
  23. Jason

It is a bittersweet move for us as we love the BCA venue. To be honest the increase in rent and other expenses at the venue over the past several years has made it one of the most pricey venues in the Boston area, couple that with the venue cutting back on capacity was a deal breaker for future events for us.

As for moving it to March, that was one of the only dates the Seaport had to offer up that worked for us.
  24. But thats ok, encourage everyone to bring enough, and the most popular beers will go as determined by the will of the people. Let the attendees decide what goes first, not the breweries.
    LeeMarvin, MattVC and TheSamKuehn like this.
  25. EnronCFO

How about space wise compared to ACBF?
  26. Todd

Although we're renting the entire space, we'll be partitioning off roughly 1/3 of it for EBF; similar to the first ACBF. We'll have an area within the hall for the Beer Forums too.
  27. Todd

That won't be a problem, and we'll post the limit before tickets go on sale.
  28. BirdFlu

BirdFlu Savant (355) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Are there any measures being taken to help brewers anticipate what an appropriate amount is to bring of rarer beer for this larger attendance size? We all know how quickly some things have run out in the last few years, especially in the sat. night session..
    Crawfordesquire likes this.
  29. That's what happens anyway with breweries that don't do the timed tappings - just gotta prioritize. I'd actually argue it keeps things on longer to just tap them at the start. Those timed tappings are basically advertising to the crowd that "you need to try this beer", so lots of people that would have otherwise passed on the beer end up swarming.

Pliny the Younger was a great example of this at EBF a couple of years ago. It was popular but stayed around for over an hour, Elder even longer. Had they done a timed tapping of Younger, you would have had half the fest in line and waited 20 minutes for a pour.
    LeeMarvin likes this.
  30. Which session would you guys recommend?
  31. Any hints? Will it be the same weekend?
  32. Todd

It won't be on the same weekend, and as posted "we'll be announcing exciting plans for Night of the Barrels' future soon."
    Crawfordesquire likes this.
  33. EnronCFO

If I recall correctly, both Younger and Elder made it to the end of the fest with some to spare for the volunteers.
    mmcgrath likes this.
  34. JAramini

Maybe they pulled it to save some for the volunteers but it was "kicked" for the public fairly early on.
  35. EnronCFO

Maybe the Bros. can chime in, but I'm pretty sure both lasted until or very near the end.
  36. Jason

I believe Vinnie had to take a flight back to CA that night which essentially shut down his booth and the little bit that was left from the 1/2BBLs he sent was shared amongst the volunteer cleanup crew. There really was not a whole lot of either beer left ... perhaps a pitcher or two tops from what I can remember.

I can tell you that I did not run into an attendee that said they missed out.
  37. SamDoom

SamDoom Aspirant (45) Pennsylvania Feb 28, 2011

How soon are specifics regarding ticket prices and limits on ticket numbers going to be released? With tickets becoming available in less than two weeks....
  38. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (350) New York Sep 18, 2005

Has anyone told The Chandler Inn the bad news? LOL
    ClassicBrad, mdfb79 and ShogoKawada like this.
  39. IPAIsaac

IPAIsaac Savant (470) Florida Jun 22, 2013

This.

Also wondering the same thing. Planning on going and this would be my first time at an event like this.. Are different tastings on different days? Is everything tapped on Friday then once its gone its gone?

Thanks.
    Beeranator likes this.
  40. TheCaptain

TheCaptain Initiate (10) Maine Oct 15, 2013

Where can I get info on our brewery participating in this event? We have a new brewery in Maine and are interested in bringing our beers to the event. What is the cost of the event and how much beer would we need?

Thank-you,

Capt. Dick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.