1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Extreme Beer Fest: Sometimes Bigger Is Better

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We haven't made the listing live yet.
  2. briang01

briang01 Savant (270) Maryland Dec 9, 2009

Any idea when ticket limits will be announced? We have a group of 8 at the moment trying to snag them and need to see how many people we need to have stalking the ticket page on saturday.
  3. Have I missed the call to volunteer?
  4. No.
  5. Todd - can you post the max number of tickets able to be purchased by one person please?

Thank you.
  6. Todd

As mentioned in the thread, we'll be posting ticket limits before they go on sale. (Most likely today.)
  7. I think it's great that you guys moved this awesome event to a larger venue. Nice work Bros!
  8. Todd

kkulacki likes this.
  9. Not sure how cold it will be in March but the walking around building at ACBF was a nightmare. We got to event 30 min before started and by time we got in we already missed 30-40 min. Something was def flawed in the logistics there.
  10. Why only 3.5 hrs? Is it a MA/Boston law? Believe ACBF was as well. Most beer fests are 4 hrs. That extra 1/2 hr is big especially if line will be as bad as it was for the Sat afternoon ACBF.
  11. Todd

We've found that serving beer for 3.5 hours works great for us and most of our attendees. There will also be less than 1/2 of the attendees as there was for ACBF, so you can't compare the two as the logistics/flow will be different.
    mdfb79 and TranceRich like this.
  12. Todd

It doesn't matter for EBF as the numbers and logistics are different, but none of our ACBF line testers waited more than 22 mins once the doors opened; including the ones we placed at the very end of the line that wrapped around the building. They might have been queued for a substantial amount of time before this, but we only count once the doors open.
  13. Not trying to sound like a jerk as I enjoyed the event, but disagree w/ timing. I got there 1235 and we got in building 135. So that was 35 min. Will go again but wont do Sat afternoon this time for ACBF. But saw your post 1/2 amount of attendees for EBF vs ACBF so yea shouldnt be issue here.
  14. Todd

We're talking a 13 min difference between your time and ours.

Lines become inevitable when you have hundreds/thousands of people wanting in at the same time, and our crew does a great job of getting people in as fast as we can given the venue and logistic we have to work with, however, if you want to get in earlier, you should queue up earlier.

As far as the tickets numbers go:
    • ACBF 2013 = 5,000 tickets per session
    • EBF 2013 = 850 tickets per session on Saturday
    • EBF 2014 = 2,250 tickets per session
  15. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

To offer a little perspective… TranceRich got in line 25 minutes before the start of the event, and it took him 60 minutes to get in. Presumably if someone shows up closer to the start, the wait will be longer. So if you arrive 15 minutes before the start (a not unreasonable time), it might take 75 minutes to get in, in which case you'll have missed the first hour (or a little less than 1/3rd) of the event.

Logistics and the constraints of the venue making it take a while to get people inside is very understandable, but it also seems like a pretty good reason to extend the session times a bit, to compensate.
  16. Dont think it worked out that way as once the line started to move it seemed to get faster and faster (guessign as people worked out kinks on checking ids and braclets). Seemed like coming when i did I was in the middle, not early enough and people that came in later got in after us but a lot less time in line. Anyways that was for ACBF and this topic is for EBF. As Todd showed there will be 1/2 as many people.
  17. Todd

No. According to him it took him 35 mins to get in, as you don't count the time you spent in line before the doors open.

Anyway. None of this applies to EBF, so let's get back on track.
    VictorWisc and TranceRich like this.
  18. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

Sorry -- not trying to derail things; going and possibly having the time cut significantly short is a real concern, at least for us. Beerfests in our area tend to be a bit longer (~5 hrs).
  19. Todd

I think you'll find that 3-3.5 hours is plenty of time to get your fill of awesome beers. Of course you could always attend 2 session, but I wouldn't recommend attending both B & C.
  20. It appears as if more breweries have been added. I like it. I like it a lot :D
  21. Todd

This is true, and there's more to follow.
  22. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (535) Florida Aug 27, 2012

I think the changes made for 2014 are very positive. The issue for me is that this year NOTB and EBF were on back-to-back days meaning only one plant ticket to/from Boston. Now, it looks like I have to pick NOTB or EBF with no date announced yet for NOTB. Again, I am excited for the changes that can be made. Just wish it were more financially feasible to go to both events next year.
  23. TonyVT

TonyVT Aficionado (115) Vermont Sep 15, 2012

I noticed that each session has a limited amount of "Forum" tickets available for a higher price. How are these different?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  24. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It is all pretty much there, just click around ... ;)

http://beeradvocate.com/ebf/forum
  25. TonyVT

TonyVT Aficionado (115) Vermont Sep 15, 2012

26. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

Can you explain how the below is going to work for those that buy forum tickets? I realize that a start time for the forums hasn't been set yet, but will there be a separate line for those individuals? Would hate to get there late and miss some of the forum.
    • Show your ticket for express entry into the fest
  27. Todd

Come up to the front of the entrance, bypassing the line to get into the fest, and show your ticket. Our crew will take it from there.
    duceswild likes this.
  28. Should I be worried that this will sell out tomorrow?
  29. And are the forums going to be at the same time as the regular session hours?
  30. Todd

They usually start about an hour into the fest, last roughly an hour and we serve beers during them.
  31. Todd

No idea. Last year sold out in 2 mins, but we're selling more tickets this time. This is new for everyone.
  32. Alright great, thanks alot!
  33. barnable

barnable Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 30, 2005

It's been two years since my last EBF - I could not be more excited to return this year, and see the evolution.

Although the size of ACBF in that venue elicits memories of "USA...USA...USA" bro-chants from years past (and vomit-able memories from the Boston Wine Festival there), I'm calmed by the The Bro's rationale behind these changes.

Just hold onto your trust, prepare your pretzel/mini-bagel necklaces and let the anticipation build up in your beer-loving veins for the next few months...you'll be at the front of the line of the best beer event in the universe before you know it.
    Christopper likes this.
  34. Is there a list of the breweries and beers that were there last year? Curious to see what sorts of things one can expect.
  35. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Savant (370) Connecticut Mar 24, 2013

Should have gotten the forum tickets...can't believe how quickly they sold out. Can't wait to go.
  36. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (325) New York Aug 23, 2012

Can anyone hit me up with a link to the tap list last year? Tried searching this forum but couldn't find anything. This will be my first time going, very excited!
  37. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

As long as lines for beers aren't like ACBF ~4 years ago before they expanded the space. That was an awful experience and one of the reasons I and many people only did EBF as the size, quality of beers, and crowd behavior were ideal. Hopefully the expanded fest will find a sweet spot in between the old EBF and current ACBF.
  38. still no NOTF info?
  39. Todd

We're focusing on EBF right now, but when we have more info we'll post it as we always do.
  40. What's a "A compostable tasting cup."? No glass? Doesn't sound too extreme...lol always liked keeping the glasses from brewfests, nice mementos and used them for home tastings. Either way should be an incredible event! Thanks BA!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.