1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fade to Black Vol.4

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Fitshaced, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Has anyone tried this yet and what are your thoughts? Might pick some up today but curious what you think. I only saw 4 reviews on it so far
  2. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Bought a sixer, didn't care for it. I'd buy a single first if I were you.
  3. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (455) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I found it to be underwhelming and lacking in any discernible character. Not terrible but not great.
  4. Fitshaced

Yeah i haven't heard great things so far, That's why i wanted to ask first. I just wanted a 4 or 6 pack of "darker beer". Mainly a stout, but Black ales or Porters will work. Place I'm going doesn't have Narwhal yet. Out of Old Rasputin. I don't want Yeit or Fidy Either..Any recommendations?
  5. ArrogantB

Bristol Winter Warlock or FW Velvet Merlin.
    Prospero likes this.
  6. Fitshaced

Yeah i love FW and Velvet. Saw a FB post yesterday they are putting Merkin in 22oz bottles next yr..

I've actually never had anything from Bristol. I always just pass them by for some reason
  7. ArrogantB

I can't wait for Velvet Merkin bombers, I've never managed to catch it on tap but I've heard great things.

Unfortunately I passed on Winter Warlock for years because I don't really like Bristol beers, do yourself a favor and grab a sixer, its good. :)
    denver10 likes this.
  8. Fitshaced

Anyone try the Santa Fe imperial Java Stout?
  9. hopfacebrew

Yeah it's my favorite from Bristol by far.
    denver10 likes this.
  10. hopfacebrew

Yeah I think it's pretty solid.
    denver10 likes this.
  11. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

It's terrific. One of my absolute favorite coffee beers behind Dry Dock's.
    denver10 likes this.
  12. Fitshaced

I gotta go with this then plus It's only $8.99 a 6 pack..
  13. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Big fan of both Sante Fe's Imperial Java Stout and BB's Winter Warlock. Velvet Merlin is a good beer, but I am not as big a fan of it as others seem to be.
  14. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Love the Santa Fe Imperial Java. Don't forget about Deschutes Black Butte Porter - I'm always really happy when I buy that. Avery Out of Sight typically gives me the same reaction. Both are easy to pass up. If you want something higher gravity, a beer that doesn't ever get its due is Boulevard Dark Truth.
    Mebuzzard likes this.
  15. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I am the same way.

Anchor Porter too.
  16. Fitshaced

Cool thanks guys. Think in going with Santa Fe. Then next time will get the winter warlock..
  17. Fitshaced

I have got to say the Santa Fe Imperial Stout is absolutely fantastic( I actually prefer it over Founders Breakfast stout .. Surprised it doesn't get more buzz or does it have to be expensive and limited release for that;):D.

Thanks again for the recommendations..
    Domingo, denver10 and coreymcafee like this.
  18. Domingo

I think a lot of what Santa Fe does flies under the radar. Most of their beers are pretty tasty. Their brown might be the greatest 100 degree quencher beer of all time.
  19. Fitshaced

Never had that one either. But i usually don't care for Browns. I'm curious about there State Pen Porter though? Why Don't they can all there beers?
  20. Domingo

Not sure. The cans are a pretty recent development. 8-9 years ago their beers were sold in Colorado and then they dried up for 4-5, and then they started showing up again a few years ago with some beers in bottles and some in cans. I haven't had State Pen recently, but it used to be good. The brown is a pretty typical take on the style, but it's one of my faves. Chicken Killer is a pretty tasty barleywine, too. Even their wheat has just enough character to the yeast to make you want to come back to it.
  21. I bought a single bottle on a trip to VA last weekend. I'm a fan of any black IPA and seek them out whenever I find the. It was good, but nothing exceptional. As others have said, Black Butte Porter is fantastic. Not a black IPA, but a great porter.