Fails, not epic fails, but fails.

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by cavedave, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha not a big deal but thought I would post a thread dedicated to multiple fails from traders, and please no names. This guy isn't on my list of completed trades, and don't want to embarass him by naming him.

Said he had a beer from a Brewery I like. I asked if he would hold it until we could make it a larger trade. Also told him he sends first as he is new. No prob. He messages me he is sending and he is including some homebrew. I assume this means he has multiple bottles from brewery I like and is sending a full box. What the heck, he is sending first, no prob. right? I get the box from USPS, amazingly intact considering it is one of the worst pack jobs I have seen. Inside are six bottles, the one beer from good Brewery, a 12 oz beer that not only is distro to my area but is made in my state, and four homebrews. The beers are all tightly wrapped in about a mile of shrink wrap that takes 10 minutes to rip/unroll from each bottle. Top it off we had one of the hb's at hb club meeting, and let's just say it was not the hit of the show. I sent out a decent box back to him, but not the porch rocker I had planned to welcome a noob to the trade world with, just an okay box that was def. better than he sent me. He didn't even acknowledge getting it, but I am already on his list of good trades.

Any stories from you guys? No names please, this isn't to embarrass, just to have fun.

Fightthegdfight likes this.
  2. I received a bud light platinum as an extra

Steimie and Ravenacht like this.
  3. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I've sent one as an extra but my trade partner got the joke :rolleyes:

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  4. I got the joke, especially since the bubble wrap said "whale" on it
    [​IMG]
    image by dachshunddude86, on Flickr

In the end the joke was on him when he opened the box I sent and instantly felt like a dick. It was all good though, I laughed when I opened his box

Brewzer1010 and jl28r1 like this.
  5. Not sure I would consider this a FAIL trade, particularly since it was from a new trader? You received the beer you agreed to, in one piece, and got extras. Maybe the guy should have done more research about the beer extra that was available to you locally, but he is new to trading... so some slack should probably be given (or feedback from an experienced trader). Homebrew extras are just that, extras... Good or bad. Some of my best traders started off as new traders, sending so so boxes initially, but those same traders now send me random boxes with hard to get beers. I've had plenty of 'so so' trades, hell I've probably sent some myself, but I'm lucky to not have had what I would consider a FAIL trade yet. Crosses fingers.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  6. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Haha, funny stuff!

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  7. ejeffer11

ejeffer11 Savant (315) New York Feb 15, 2008

got an oak aged yeti when a barrel aged was agreed to - still waiting on the promised make it up to you. he sent some decent extras, so no big deal.

aasher likes this.
  8. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I'm really surprised this doesn't happen more often. Most people that are just getting into beer/trading are unable to distinguish between the two simply because they've never seen a BA Yeti before. I always end up sending a picture like this and making sure it's the right one and not one of the left ones... :)

[​IMG]

aasher likes this.
  9. I bet he's been lurking the site since 2006.

tewaris likes this.
  10. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

After he was deleted in 2004.

11. Lol. I've only been here 2 months so I can't call anyone a noob but this is funny

12. It seems like a funny story to share with your friends in private. I agree the new trader didn't act perfect and could have done better but if that were me and I read it I would feel pretty bad and might be discouraged to trade anymore.

13. cavedave

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. Too late now.

Re-reading this though I guess I wasn't clear, I told him I didn't want to do a 1 bottle trade, and to wait until he had some more good bottles. He contacted me weeks later and told me he was sending, I assumed he had done what we had discussed, I did get a nice bottle, but I wouldn't have traded for that one bottle. I thought I made that pretty clear. And the stuff was so poorly wrapped and yet so hard to unwrap I thought it would make a humorous story. And he sent USPS. And I sent him a link to seekabrew but he sent me a bottle, not an extra either by the terms of our trade, that was brewed in my own state. The hb not being very good was the punch line to the whole thing.

Apparently I have less of a sense of humor than I thought, and I apologize to all in the community who may have been offended by my good natured post I probably should have foregone posting. Cheers.

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Sometimes stuff sounds better than it reads. No worries, I personally didn't think you were being THAT hard on the dude, but again I *know* you in the sense of seeing posts for years so didn't begin reading it with any malicious intent in mind as that isn't your typical style.

Everyone relax, nothing to see here ;)

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  15. So guys in trench coats and ray bans dont fast rope out of black helicopters if you send USPS?

16. cavedave

Also, haven't tried all the homebrew, have 2 left, maybe they are stellar? Anyway let's just allow this thread to die, this is my last post.:)

Thanks for the kind words. I'll have that LeBleu out by UPS tomorrow.:)

17. I had a trade with a VERY established trader. Zippo communication from him on receipt of box, took longer than anticipated for him to ship even though he said it was ready to ship about ten days earlier, then he failed to include one of the beers agreed upon. Sent him a note, never heard back. So, don't think that some of the more established traders don't present issues as well.