1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fantasia on the shelf!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by tcampbel1, Mar 11, 2012.

1. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

I bought 2 there is 2 left...$22 so its not a huge markup. BM if you want to know where.
  2. tcampbel1

Person just bought 1, 1 left.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I'm guessing MofC? Got one at the Corvallis location for that price at the beginning of Feb.
  4. tcampbel1

Nope in Portland.
  5. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

I'm sure Apex still has plenty for like $30 a pop...
  6. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

If anyone wants to pick a bottle up for me at ~$20-30 I'll be in going through Portland next Wednesday. Visiting Deschutes!!!!!
  7. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I'm going down for a camping trip with some friends Monday through Wednesday, noticed our camp site was on the Deschutes River about half an hour from the brewery, so we're taking a pit stop
  8. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

On Friday we were sitting at the bar at Grain and Gristle and I noticed some bottles in the cooler behind the bar. Not sure if they're allowing sales to go on Fantasia, like other Upright beers there, but if you are looking to pound one back onsite you may want to check G&G.

As far as the beer, I think it is slightly over rated.
    djbreezy likes this.
  9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

There was an earlier post about this. My understanding is that you can not order the beer to go at G&G; it must be consumed on the premises.
  10. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Savant (265) Wisconsin Jan 3, 2008

11. djbreezy

Four and their pils are the only things I'm really hip to. The others are kinda like, eh, whatever. Four Play didn't impress and after that I just kinda let it go.
  12. boMD

I think Upright does some decent A- beers here and there. The Blend Love, Rose City Seven, and Turkey on Rye are probably my three favorites. But at the Fantasia price tag, I really don't think that beer was worth it. And I noticed it has been getting rave reviews. There is a serious blind spot there.

I think this is partly created by the rarity and novelty factor the Sole Comp beers created for Upright. I can't speak for BA, but on RateBeer, majority of the Sole Comp ratings are from users who don't even live on the West Coast. That's crazy since these are brewery only releases. The bottles get snagged up and traded away. And when they are hand numbered with bottle limits as low as 60, or even 36, people love this novelty factor and tend to hype it up...

...all this is IMHO of course.
    djbreezy likes this.
  13. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I really really like Fantasia, but I agree with you 100% on the sole composition beers. Some are awesome, but the majority of them are not worth the $15 price tag.

I still buy it though...gotta know what the new ones taste like!
  14. djbreezy

With so much great beer in the area and knowing brewers/home brewers, etc. ... all that hype isn't worth the cash imo. Not everyone has this luxury but I no longer understood people shelling out $$ to simply try beer. Maybe when I was a complete noob but it's just silly with the resources (tastings, variety, etc.) out here in PDX.
  15. boMD

It's called ticking. It doesn't mean you're a noob.
    djbreezy likes this.
  16. boMD

17. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

In case anyone's still looking, I saw a bottle in the cooler at Bottles on Saturday, so you might get lucky. $24 if I recall correctly.
  18. tcampbel1

Yup that is where I was at. Surprised no one asked me where I was. I had a case of beer karma. If there is one bottle left of something I'm looking for, I'll buy it. If there are multiples, I'll leave at least one for someone else. In this case there were multiples.
  19. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Any indication there will be some as of Wednesday? That's when I'll be in Portland. If you want to BM me, please do.
  20. tcampbel1

Its one bottle on the shelf. Hard to say if it will still be there. It's been there just over a week now, so who knows.
  21. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Check Grain & Gristle as well. They should still have some and I believe the price is $25. Only problem is that you have to consume it on the premises (they're a restaurant/pub), which may or may not be a problem (wouldn't be for me, but I can't speak for others). Probably depends how badly someone wants to try it.