1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fantome Brett - pure culture

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by OrgasmicChemist, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I recently re-read Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2011 and in their Saison article they mention they got a pure Fantome Brett from the Bruery... Does anyone have this culture or know where to get some of it?

Thanks for any help

2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I am not a chemist so forgive me if my question is obvious, but why not just culture straight from a bottle?

When you say "pure Fantome Brett" do you mean, pure as in 100% brett with no bacteria?

danybrew likes this.
  3. i've read ppl trying to culture Fantome dregs and it not always turning out so hot.

4. Shoot Patrick Rue a message. My experience is he is totally rad about dealing with the craft dweeb crowd, he was one of us only a few years ago.

5. As others noted below, Fantome dregs don't always turn out great. Also they almost always have laco and pedio in them... I wanted to brew with the pure Brett for other non-super tart beers.

I wrote the Bruery, who shockingly wasn't willing to give me any yeast, but said East Coast Yeasts sells an 'identical' strain. Does anyone know this is true?

6. ECY03.

OrgasmicChemist and FUNKPhD like this.
  7. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

The avatar makes it more convincing.

nathanjohnson likes this.
  8. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Just pointing out that probably is the yeast that was referenced, but it's not a 100% Brett which I believe the OP is asking for. That is unless ECY08 is all Brett.

And of course ECY is very hard to get. I think that right now w/the heat it in store pick-up only.

I brewed with that yeast and right now it's more pepper that anything ( it took it to over 90*F. I'm going to let it sit six months. It's probably only three months right now.

9. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I can vouch this statement.

10. danybrew

danybrew Aficionado (210) Belgium Feb 8, 2010

11. I think I missed something here.... :/

12. Danybrew == Fantome

OrgasmicChemist likes this.
  13. Yes Danybrew... hasn't been easy so far! :)

danybrew likes this.
  14. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I've only used the dregs from the regular saison twice, but both times the beer has turned out nicely.

danybrew likes this.
  15. yeastoftheeast

yeastoftheeast Disciple (55) Jan 29, 2013

I supplied the Bruery with the Fantome "brett" during my brew seesion with them on Batch 50. I first isolated this curious strain from a bottle of Black Ghost many yrs ago. Since then I have added the strain to other saison yeasts in ECY03 to complement. Hope to bring it back this Spring.

danybrew and afrokaze like this.
  16. drewbage

drewbage Advocate (675) California Mar 15, 2003

Hey, yeah, go with Al on this. I managed to wheedle some of the Bruery's supply by virtue of being my lovable self and having a talk at the NHC in San Diego.

It makes for truly phenomenal beers, go figure, and finally captures that elusive strawberry note in Fantome that you just can't find any other way.

17. i'd love to watch and see the method behind isolating yeast strains.
    i assume it is basic microbiology (culturing agar, using a microscope, etc), but still...

18. danybrew

danybrew Aficionado (210) Belgium Feb 8, 2010

difficult !!!

19. The actual isolations aren't that hard, provided you have the basic equipment (IMHO).
    It's the testing of each individual colony that grows up that's a bear. Potentially thousands of small batches of beer.
    Unless you have access to more technical means (and $) to determine if one culture is different from another...

20. yeastoftheeast

yeastoftheeast Disciple (55) Jan 29, 2013

Finding this particular strain in recent or other Fantome releases may prove elusive. Then again, the mysteries of Fantome go beyond yeast I think!

21. I think I may need to make a road trip to Soy this May....

FIND THE ELUSIVE FANTOME BUG!

22. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

*please see three posts up

;)