1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fantome/Hill Farmstead Collaboration

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jdamaso84, Mar 4, 2013.

1. volta

volta Savant (340) New Jersey Dec 21, 2008

ISO!!!

Jwale73 likes this.
  2. Malzie13

Malzie13 Aspirant (30) Mar 4, 2013

heard them talking about it at Three Penny the other day and my mouth was watering thinking about it!!!

jdamaso84 likes this.
  3. HF went on a Euro tour and brewed with a ton of different people, I don't remember all of them, I know D'Epeautre was another one. Not sure if any of it will be distributed, or where.

4. Great pics of collab brew days in Belgium on the HFB FB page.

Fujii13 likes this.
  5. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (460) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

Talked to Phil about the collaborations when I was up there this weekend. He said the Fantome one should be hitting stateside soon. I assume it will have similar availability as La Vermontoise, seeing some shelf life at HF and maybe a couple Vermont places. I think it's a hibiscus saison similar to Convivial. Phil also said they are trying to have Blaugies brew another batch of La Vermontoise since it's been so popular, already well over 20 cases sold at a 1 bottle/person limit at HF.

davey101 likes this.
  6. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

They had a picture of the bottle of the Shelton Bros. facebook. It's called Science Beer.

7. Love the label!!

danybrew and 05Harley like this.
  8. Vt sale only? I wonder if etre or belgiuminabox will have it avail. Definitely want to find this.

9. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

that is the greatest beer label i have ever seen.

10. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

If Shelton has a picture, I bet it will get some very limited distribution, a la Fantome Extra Sour. At least, I hope so.

11. I believe that this will see similar handling as la vermontoise - which was at HF and had some distro in VT.

12. I hope you're right. I managed to find a bottle of the Extra Sour, so I think I could manage to find a bottle of this collabo

13. Dany is possibly the best brewing personality. I hope I can meet him someday!

Trevdawg likes this.
  14. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Should be hitting shelves at HF soon, it's at the HF/Shelton even at Three Penny tonight, but I think I'm going to wait until it sees the shelf and grab some then!

davey101 likes this.
  15. Had it at Three Penny this afternoon. No carbonation whatsoever, but tasty. Talk of storing it at warm temps to get a rise out of it before more distro. The Convivial Suarez, however was fantastic! And the Vermontoise is a very classic saison - dry & spicy like a Dupont.

grassrootsVT likes this.
  16. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (320) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

I also had it today at Three Penny.. What it lacked in carbonation, it made up in funk. I'd liken it to drinking a liquid version of Jasper Hill's Winnimere cheese. The Convivial Suarez was more clean and crisp. Both very tasty brews

17. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Initiate (0) Vermont May 10, 2005

Exactly. It's called "5 Sciences Beer" - that was the name that Dany threw out while eating dinner after the brew day. We actually all thought he said "The 5 Scientists..." There were 5 us there during the brew and dinner...

Brasserie Fantôme has virtually no heat and has no bottling conditioning room - so December at their brewery was less than optimal for refermentation. We are going to make an attempt at holding all that we received from the Import in warm conditions... and hope that it helps. Taste is wonderful...

Blaugies (Kevin and Pierre-Alex) are joining us here in June for a new Saison - and they have also brewed more Vermontoise which should make it stateside by Early May.

18. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Don't worry. There is a brewery here in Portland Oregon that has been putting out uncarbonated beers and charging premium prices for about a decade. You're in good company.

19. DavidDulock

DavidDulock Zealot (85) Georgia Dec 22, 2011

I heard maybe 50 cases, if that, hit the US. I know it's going to be outside of Vermont though, as I'm in the south.

20. I see its on HF's website as being available at the brewery for $20. Anyone heading up there any time soon?

21. Nothing like selling a flat beer. Kinda expect more out of the #1 brewery.

chippo33 and grassrootsVT like this.
  22. grassrootsVT

It's not a Hill Farmstead beer. It's a Fantôme beer. Likewise, we expected more understanding from you...

23. We received both the vermontoise and the 5 sciences in LA about 2 weeks ago. The vermontoise was great. Very clean and tasty. Haven't had the 5 science yet. Thought a little time in the warmer weather might help with the carb. I'm getting anxious to try it though.

24. You didn't really expect the grumpiest guy on BA to have more understanding, did you?

Auror likes this.
  25. Yeah, that guy - he & Flashy win the prize! Anyway, it's sadly true - you do a collaboration brew-day at a brewery in Belgium and then go home to VT praying that the host brewer will tend to the QC details like you do at home...only he is unable to. And now both your names are on the beer. Anyone who has followed Fantome over the years knows that Dany's beer are like the proverbial box of chocolates - "you never know what you're gonna get!" What a major risk for a brewer to take...

kingcrowing and rondufresne like this.
  26. Forgive me, it is listed as Fantome/Hill Farmstead on your site and your name is on the label.

You don't think folks will be disappointed when they spend $20 on a bottle, only to find out its flat?

ShogoKawada and chippo33 like this.
  27. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (320) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Flat or not, the beer is fucking delicious...
    Don't you have plans to start making for how you plan on ruining Christmas this year, you grinch, you...

straffordmilitia likes this.
  28. grassrootsVT

We are very clear with each customer that purchases the beer - that the carbonation is light to non existent... and why. They are not forced to purchase it. It is just there, if they want to try it. No arm twisting.
    Why does this make you so angry?

kingcrowing and judkinst like this.
  29. grassrootsVT

As well, when brewer's "collaborate" on beers - it is the host brewery (in this case, Fantôme) that brews, cares for, and packages the beer. I'm fairly certain you knew this already. Hill Farmstead is in Northern Vermont. The beer was brewed in Soy, Belgium by Brasserie Fantôme. Then shipped across the Atlantic to Fantôme's importer, Shelton Brothers. The Hill Farmstead retail shop acquired some cases of the beer, as did other retailers in Vermont and elsewhere around the United States.

skivtjerry and jomobono like this.
  30. Never quite understood the word "Collaborate" if you take none of the responsibility for the product (which I understand seeing where it was brewed and based on the fact that you have no say in QC and distribution), does "Collaborate" mean vacation in Belgium at brewery while beer is being brewed? ;)

Will still be buying a bottle. :)

chippo33 likes this.
  31. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

The bickering and hatred on this beer in this thread is beyond confusing to me. It's pretty clean Shaun is in no way trying to hide the lack of carbonation or to twist arms into buying it. He's offering it, Doesn't mean you HAVE to buy it. I don't understand why anyone would be slinging hatred in any direction here. You roll the dice by your own choice on these bottles, Shaun isn't stealing your money by just having it displayed.

GeoffreyM likes this.
  32. grassrootsVT

Totally agree. There are many levels of "collaboration" that occur - you can check out our Facebook page for pictures of the Fantôme and Blaugies brew days. Definitely very hands on. I think "collaborative brew day" is a more accurate phrasing - recipe design, grain in/out, hopping, clean up, etc. Those are the limitations of such friendships, I suppose. Living documents that are dependent upon the host - microbiology, climate in the brewery (no warm bottle conditioning space), distribution - those are all a priori elements of the relationship. You couldn't expect Jerry Garcia to take responsibility for every pint of Cherry Garcia, could you? =)

Trevdawg and omniscientcause like this.
  33. Not angry just passing the work day and having a discussion.
    I think distributing a product at retail with a known flaw is deceptive. To your point, this isn't only being sold in your retail shop so only a select few people will be informed of the issue.

Semantics aside regarding who brewed this, I wouldn't want my name on a product with a known flaw being sold and leaving people with a bad impression. I'd be surprised if you felt differently.

34. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I'd recommend Grumpy Cat as Brownswisscow's BA Avatar.

Gosox8787, brikelly and Trevdawg like this.
  35. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

That reminds me, are you collaborating with Lost Abbey anytime soon?

I don't really get the hate for brownswisscow, who is just voicing a pretty moderate and reasonable opinion. He is just surprised that HF stamped their name on something that isn't good to go. I'm of the same opinion.

On the other hand, collaboration beers are always less than the sum of their parts; I'm not sure there has ever been a good collaboration beer, particularly one across borders. I would never have assumed this one was going to be amazing. I'll still track it down when I'm in the area on business.

36. What is it then?

Edit - I mean, if it was designed to have X vols of carbonation, but has substantially less when released, how is that not a flaw?

37. I'm willing to bet that HF was stamped on those bottles before the lack of carbonation was discovered and whether or not HF felt it was a flaw or not, the beer would have still been distributed outside their of retail shop. I'm also willing to bet that it's a pretty damn good beer, along with every other one of their offerings that I've tried, regardless of the lack of carbonation.

Trevdawg, GeoffreyM and grassrootsVT like this.
  38. Has anyone seen this in stores in the US yet? Particularly Mass?