1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fat Heads - Hop JuJu Imperial IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Had hop juju on tap for SF beer week on Saturday, rediculous good. anyone wanna score me a bunch I can prolly take good care of ya.

2. Not often that Pittsburgh gets a release like this. Excited to possibly be able to try some this weekend. (Fingers Crossed)

BrandonOakes likes this.
  3. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 23, 2013

According to Ted, there was a recent re-interpretation of their particular license that the liquor agent told them they can only sell beer manufactured on premise. They are hoping to have that resolved soon, so I'm not sure if that means they're getting a different license or what. He also said that they were going to attend the craft brewers guild last Tuesday in hopes of discussing this issue. I'm sure we'll hear more about it during the release on Thursday.

4. Looks like a Fat Heads Friday for me!

5. jstilwell and idkspencer like this.
  6. Willing to grab me some for the box you stole from me back last fall? Dirtbag.

7. Sounds good thanks for clarifying it, I basically got the confused and dumbed down version of what happened lol. It sucked though because they had some Behemoth (it was stupidly overpriced which i thought was weird) and there was 8 bottles left. I figured hey theres no limit so I'll grab 2 bottles. Bartender brings out the two bottles and right before handing them to me says "oh crap ya know what I'm so sorry man I totally forgot we can't sell bottles to go right now." Wasn't a huge deal because I have a bottle cellared but it was funny how it all went down.

8. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (380) Ohio Mar 3, 2013

Hey BA community. First ever post and learning as I go . . . Asked the owner of my local beer shop here in Ohio about JuJu last night and he hasn't even heard about it ! Sigh . . . Hope I find this !

9. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (720) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Welcome to BA! Tell your beer shop owner to talk to his Cavalier Distributing rep! Or, let us know where you're at and we can recommend some stores that should have it next week. Cheers!

10. GOBLIN

Cool thanks ! Delaware Oh, just up the road from Columbus

11. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (720) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

I'm in the Cleveland area but I'm sure some kind Columbus BA can let you know when they spot it in your area. I would think any place that gets regular shipments of Fat Heads will be seeing at least a bit of it, but stay tuned here if you're having trouble finding it. Cheers!

12. Alum Creek mountain biking trails are pretty dope...Almost killed myself there several times!

My buddy lives off of Powell Rd. down there and says that Aficionado's would be worth checking out. Not sure if that's too far away or not.

Aficionado's

8909 S Old State Rd, Lewis Center, OH ‎
    (614) 840-9463 ‎ · aficionados-ohio.com

BorisKarloff likes this.
  13. GOBLIN

Thanks again . . . Yeah, I'll check it out for sure. Never heard of it till' you spoke of it. Not far at all as a matter of fact. BTW . . . Doing some biking on the Alum Creek trails a few years back and my buddy's wheel just fell right off his bike. Can't remember the exact reason this happened but he did have to walk his way out of there. Hilarious . . . earned him the nickname "Flintstone" after that !

MikeCactusGordon likes this.
  14. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

I'm headed to Cleveland for the Barrel Aged Fest at Winking Lizard, I hope this is still around next weekend.

15. You should be fine in the CLE area. Also going to the Wink event. That's going to be a great time. Already talked to some folks coming in from Columbus and Western PA for that one. I didn't go to last years, but I heard it was a great time. Cheers!

mpayne5 likes this.
  16. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

Aficionado's is easily the closest craft beer spot in Columbus to you - Whole Foods and Andersons in Dublin should definitely be getting some, along with Weilands and World of Beer.

17. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Well shit, tap house is only open Wed-Sun and I'm only in town Mon-Tues :mad:

18. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (550) Ohio May 24, 2011

Anyone take care of you yet?

19. RayOhioFelton

Stopped in for a pour of hop juju and bought two 4 packs...expensive stuff but pretty darn good!

20. sjc83

sjc83 Aficionado (130) Ohio Apr 4, 2013

how much is it?

21. 12.99 a 4 pack.

22. RayOhioFelton

And was $5.50 for a snifter, usually $6.50 but must of been happy hour!

Be interesting to see if this becomes our zombie dust/heady topper/Pliny where you can trade it for limited releases across the country...the guy working said they were looking to up production and make it a permanent release...guessing that means it would be as available as head hunter is. I'm fine with that though, don't have to make a big deal out of going to get it and can just pick it up while grocery shopping!

23. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

They opened at 4, I got there at 4:15 and the parking lot was packed! Didn't expect such a big turn out. Definitely much more expensive than most of their beers, but it's great. Couldn't afford a case, but I got two 4-packs. I figure I'll pick up some more when it hits retail. Seemed like I was the only person NOT buying a case. People are going crazy for this.

24. RayOhioFelton

When the guy said the next batch would be ready in two or three weeks I figured I would buy it fresh then instead of drink 3 week old product when the new batch came out, ha.

25. So happy, kind of funny because i've had back luck with beer releases. Therefore, me and the girlfriend showed up at 3:55 and walked in, got our beer and walked right out. As we left we saw people fuckin rollin into the parking lot, did you guys have a long wait? I imagine they still had a lot in the back but for some reason they only had like 10 cases out which i thought was weird.

26. It was fantastic.

Bodhi and JuJu are kings and worthy of all hype.

IBUsive on deck. Convinced a Columbus BA to drive back up next weekend for Wink BA fest. Crash couch'd. Today was a great day. I love beer.

ChrisMon02, jamvt and JohnnyMc like this.
  27. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I got there at 4:15 and the parking lot was full, but the wait wasn't bad. I stood in line for maybe 10 minutes max. Yeah they only had a few cases sitting when I was in too, but kept bringing more and more out. I hope they post their sales. I think it might break a record for them haha. Awesome beer.

28. Rfrick11

Rfrick11 Zealot (90) Ohio May 21, 2013

Hey. I'm a first timer here too and I have a great love of everything Fat Heads. I've been trying to pinpoint upcoming supply today in the Columbus area, and have heard nothing but more of the "extremely limited" narrative. I'm assuming Weiland's in Clintonville will have it. Crafted Drafts up on Hamilton Road (which I haven't been to yet but looks pretty epic in terms of selection) told me today that they "should" get it but they don't know how much or when. I'm hoping more details emerge by early next week, but it's looking like JuJu is going to be a tough one to find.

riemster likes this.
  29. How much was a case?

30. Rfrick11

Rfrick11 Zealot (90) Ohio May 21, 2013

Apparently with tax it comes to 84 bucks

31. GOBLIN

I'm up the road in Delaware. Not sure if you've heard of Barley Hopsters but that is my best hope for this. Also Giant Eagle in Lewis Center will be another place I'll check if I need too.

32. jds16

jds16 Savant (280) Ohio Sep 21, 2007

Went to the tap house tonight; Hop Juju and Trailhead both on tap, and both as delicious as I remembered.

33. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Aficionado (165) Ohio Aug 4, 2013

Word. These are heady days to live in Ohio.

34. My bottles are dated 2/13. I don't ever recall buying bottles that were dated the same day I bought them.

Too bad they are so gonna fade tomorrow ;)

35. jaltland

jaltland Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 13, 2009

What's this all about?

36. riemster

riemster Advocate (595) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

I agree. I've always enjoyed faded hops in 1 day old IPAs. I know most people drain pour them, but man, I just love them. "All your JuJu are belong to us."

But seriously, I'm pissed at myself for not going. I'm rolling the dice with distribution. Wish me luck.

37. My second trade ever (noob on noob) he accepted the box I sent, bragged about it on the 'haul' page and never sent what he was supposed to send. I just make sure people know he is a thief and liar the best I can.

cfh64 likes this.
  38. jaltland

jaltland Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 13, 2009

Give PA traders a bad name! Screw that guy. Just a question: what were you supposed to get? Maybe I could hook you up.

Dan_Bowman likes this.
  39. no worries i got him brother ;)

40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Ohio makes some outrageous IPA's, Head Hunter, BODHI, Columbus, and my favorite White Rajah. Some great shelf stuff right there.