Fat Heads - Hop JuJu Imperial IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Nov 15, 2013.

1. robgage

robgage Savant (415) Pennsylvania Dec 19, 2013

$110! Holy Hell! Don't get me wrong...I love the beer...it's really good. But that's some serious cash to fork over!

2. jbwimer

jbwimer Savant (390) Pennsylvania Jun 13, 2013

Fortunately, I just got a call from another place who has a case for me. Total comes to... $72. Uh, yeah. I think I'll take that.

3. robgage

robgage Savant (415) Pennsylvania Dec 19, 2013

Yeah that's more reasonable! I'd call back that other distro and tell them! That's how you lose business!

4. Let's remember this beer took down Permanent Funeral at the GABF this year. Before I tried the magical JuJu, I considered PF the elusive top beer on my list. Well, for me, the JuJu is now king. A beer like this does not come around often. For me.... HopSlam what? Sucks who? Pliny where? Those beers rock, but the JuJu is a cut above the rest. Find it. Pay for it. Drink it. Share it. Love it. Life is too short. The beer gods of North Olstead strike again.

5. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Hell yeah you should. It's $84 a case from the production brewery here.

6. ScottJWing

ScottJWing Savant (390) Ohio Aug 21, 2013

Had it at Yellow Brick before it ran out, totally lives up to the hype. I emailed Cavalier today, they said the major bottle shops in Columbus (Weilands, Kenny Rd, Anderson, Corner Stone, Savor-but fuck them, etc) should get some, starting tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get at least a case for trades, drinking, and bringing to Huna Day. Gotta share the Ohio love! Also hoping to bring some Jackie O's from their bottle release next weekend and a growler of Bodhi.

7. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Savant (345) Virginia Sep 15, 2011

Good lord, that disty has a 38% mark up? That some serious margin (gouging) going on...good thing you got that second call for $72...

8. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (550) Ohio May 24, 2011

Hey Parma, OH is close to the brewery!

9. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (730) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Considering the beer was created by and brewed by a couple of Steeler fans, that actually seems quite right.

They bottled a second batch Thursday, so there's more on the way. I would say people who didn't take advantage of presales are the ones who didn't anticipate this release being so hyped up. People fly to California for Younger then wait in line for hours for 3 glasses. Anyone in OH or PA could have made the trip to the brewery to be assured a case, otherwise, you take a risk in distribution...that's how it works.

Learn how the beer business works before you bash a brewery for the distribution of a beer. Fat Heads was kind enough to sell JuJu straight off the bottling line. I bought a case 4 hours after it was bottled. As for a week-and-a-half, that's actually REALLY good compared to many DIPA's...and, again, it has nothing to do with Fat Heads. Their distributors got to pick the beer up as early as Thursday 2/13. If they didn't, or they sat on it, it's not the brewery's fault.

CanMan79, dmhurdle, craigo19 and 9 others like this.
  10. Delicious beer. I drank my four too quickly.

11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Drank one at the Cleveland saloon yesterday and grabbed a growler. Deeeeeeelish!

riemster likes this.
  12. AMG55

AMG55 Aficionado (195) Indiana Sep 10, 2013

Is this out in Indiana yet?

13. Will not be distributed to IN this time around per the official release statement.

14. AMG55

AMG55 Aficionado (195) Indiana Sep 10, 2013

NOOOOOOO_DarthVader.jpg

15. Holy shit, $110-$115? I have a case reserved but at that price I'm not sure if I want it.

16. jbwimer

jbwimer Savant (390) Pennsylvania Jun 13, 2013

I'm going to humbly eat my words. Just picked up a case for $70, bottled 2/19... *slow clap*

My biggest frustration was that it seemed like Pittsburgh area distro was really dropping the ball. Was continuously told they'd have the beer last week, and no one was getting it. Then, Fat Head's Pittsburgh told me several times they'd have it by last Friday, which didn't happen. But it appears things have come together quite nicely. I can't stop drinking this stuff now that I have my hands on it.

jampics2 likes this.
  17. Anyone know if this has made it or will make it to Cincinnati?

18. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

They usually drop the ball - I don't think they know what game they're even playing.

beerhan and jbwimer like this.
  19. I was at FatHeads Pittsburgh on Friday at noon and watched them wheel in 12 sixtels and 4 cases of JuJu.

I'm sure the bottles are sold out by now, but the taps are still flowing as of this afternoon. Plus HopSlam and IBUsive.

20. kdlz

kdlz Disciple (55) Ohio Jan 8, 2014

Got it at the brewery yesterday in Olmsted. 'twas delicious

21. Vondiggity

Vondiggity Aficionado (145) Ohio Oct 18, 2013

Arrived at both Jungle Jim's yesterday, sold out quickly.

22. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:(

23. Josbor11

Josbor11 Savant (375) Ohio Dec 21, 2013

Wait, so they are making another batch? Is this second batch just for distribution to Southern OH and parts of PA or is it going to be all on sale again at the brewpub like last time? Is this supposed to be a regular bottled beer now is it a temporary brew?

24. RayOhioFelton

People from Pittsburgh are just the worst...

25. RayOhioFelton

They are bottling the stuff now...by summer it wil be sitting on the shelfs and you will be looking for the next greatest thing.

beerhan, JohnnyMc and Matthew1788 like this.
  26. Hophead21

Hophead21 Savant (270) Pennsylvania Sep 19, 2013

Had a Hop JuJu last night, its good but Victory DirtWolf blows it away IMO.

csoult likes this.
  27. Does anyone know what hops were used in brewing Juju?

28. Stigs

Stigs Advocate (595) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2005

Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe, Citra

rumor is heavier on the Chinook and Casacde

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  29. Nice! That sounds like a wonderful combo of hops! Thanks for the hoppy info, Stigs!

30. JohnnyMc

They've already had at least two different batches. My first bottles were 2/13 and my current bottles are 2/20.

31. Vondiggity

Where are you seeing dates on the bottle?

32. should be on the neck written in yellow. Sometimes it's blurry or just a blob of ink. They all should be dated tho...unless you have the limited edition no bottle date batch.

All 187 bottles of JuJu in the trunk of my car have the bottle date. But seriously, the 2/13 is aging fast so drink that quick before it turns into Old Milwaukee.

33. JohnnyMc

On the neck in yellow ink. It's the same type of ink Stone uses which is easy to wipe off. So if you don't see any dates that's possible.

34. Vondiggity

Huh...just double checked and there's definitely no date on the bottle neck. Any idea when the limited edition batch was bottled? Just curious as to how fresh the batch I got is. Thanks.

35. Fitz513

Fitz513 Disciple (55) Ohio Nov 19, 2013

Jungle Jims got more in today. They should have left.

36. It's no older than 2/13. I'd drink it all before midnight....but yeah, it's fresh. Their dating machine likes to disguise the truth from time to time.

37. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

My 4pk only had one bottle with a date on it, the rest were blank..

38. The Citra isn't without a voice. Maybe my nose is off due to my cold but I'd say Citra is the dominant aroma. Chinook is definitely present as there is a decent pineyness to it. My fiancee kissed me good-night and said I tasted like grapefruits so take that for what it's worth as well so the cascade hops have a presence as well. It's HOPPY. I've had beers with much higher IBU than this but this is so potent.

39. Josbor11

Josbor11 Savant (375) Ohio Dec 21, 2013

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration but I hope you're right. Has Fat Heads officially made a statement about this being year round? I wonder if the price will drop a bit over time if so.

40. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Savant (345) Virginia Sep 15, 2011

Had one yesterday, buddy got 3 in a trade, I think it's awesome! The nose is very good, it's a damn fine beer, another one by Fatheads...