1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fat Heads Oompa Loompa Chocolate Cream Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Shmuffalo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I can't wait
  2. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (530) Florida Aug 11, 2012

Yes, you just need to find a golden ticket..................
  3. johnnyboy41783

johnnyboy41783 Disciple (70) Texas Nov 26, 2012

4. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

I've got a golden ticket...and its scrumdiddilyupmtious!

[​IMG]
    Pinche_Oso, bastu and Stinger80OH like this.
  5. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (395) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Have to say I wad cautiously optomistic about this one but its really tasty
  6. primrose54

primrose54 Savant (300) Ohio Apr 7, 2009

It should be out Monday/Tuesday, in the Cleveland area. If you guys get a chance pick up their headhunter its the best IPA out there.
  7. It's at Fat Head's in Pittsburgh, as of last night. Picked up a 6pk.
  8. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Hitting Fatheads Cleveland Thursday before the Muse show, perfect timing!
  9. jminch

jminch Savant (340) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

columbus sightings?
  10. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Was there yesterday, 2/22 and they did not have the bottles yet. Soon was all I was told. While not thread revelant, if you go there, try the Hippy Sippy Imperial stout. Absolutely delicious, blew me away.
  11. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Ugh hopefully better. Have to say as many times as I've been to RRBC the beer has been adequate @ best. Their food comes to mind before the brew, which should IMO never happen @ a brew pub. Not once have a thought, "Wow these guys should be bottling" unlike Fatheads nearby & even Willoughby Brewing out east. I will be anxious to try this though the crowds @ Fatheads keep me away during peak times.
  12. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I'll admit that that the last time I was at RRBC was in 2007-2008. While it wasn't mindblowing they had some solid offerings, with the Oompa Loompa being one of them.
  13. Blueribbon666

Oompa Loompa is definitely one of the 2 I remember along w/their regular lager offering which, the name escapes me. It's been awhile for me as well @ least 2 years.
  14. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

The head brewer at Fat Head's, Matt, was the head guy at Rocky River prior to helping start up FH's. It's been all downhill over at RRBC since he left. Rocky River IBUsive was pretty awesome, and as we speak Matt has a new version up at Fat Head's that is even better.
  15. Blueribbon666

With or without Matt, I have never found anyone among my circle or myself running back to RRBC for the brew. However, it's a nice non chain choice w/decent enough stuff, but that's where it always ended. For me Fatheads is the exact opposite I go for the beer, great house stuff & great guest taps the food for me has been hit or miss. Plenty of food choices, some better than others, but again the BEER is the draw for me.
  16. i dont think fat heads distributes to NYo_O. i want to make the trip to pittsburgh tho
    loafinaround likes this.
  17. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (365) New York Jan 19, 2013

Let us not forget the sandwiches at Fat Heads, which is what drew me there on my visit to Pittsburgh a couple years ago.

Southside Slopes: Kielbasa, pierogies, cheese and I think fried onion. Holy smokes!

[​IMG]
    MarkIntihar, JohnnyMc, Cazlo and 2 others like this.
  18. miketd

Well, Matt was a bit handcuffed over there, but they still pulled a few medals at GABF. I'm with you on the food at Fat Head's, I don't like it in general.
  19. miketd

You would have many more beer options(outside of Fat Head's) if you visit the brewery in Cleveland.
    loafinaround and siege06nd like this.
  20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

This is a shame. I want oompa loompa beer!
  21. loafinaround

my husband would never put up with me going all the way to ohio just to procure beer. he'll never understand my insanity :oops:
    miketd likes this.
  22. miketd

As a guy with a wife that barely tolerates my drinking, I certainly understand. But if you go to Pittsburgh, we are only an hour and a half down I80. And contrary to the negative image, we have cool things to do in town that do not pertain to beer.
    fullmetal1381 and loafinaround like this.
  23. loafinaround

my husband's a Pole, so he heartily encourages drinking. He just doesn't understand beer. he always says "meh." :rolleyes: Pittsburgh is a major foodie area... lots of tasty stuff. I bet I could get him to go for the sammies. but he'd then call my bluff as soon as I went to a beer shop!
    miketd likes this.
  24. miketd

I hate to sound like a Cleveland homer, but we have great foodie places here as well. He's a Pole? Look up Sokolowski's... awesome!
    tronto and loafinaround like this.
  25. loafinaround

that IS true... but cleavland is sooo far away, that he'd be suspicious to start. Not to mention the fact that I'm determined to go to goose island... er... chicago sometime :p in the winter... when it's ice cold :rolleyes: no particular reason why....
    I swear when I make tenure, he'll HAVE to celebrate w/ me and do something beery. he'll be forced to! :D
    NABS and miketd like this.
  26. miketd

I understand, but we are half way between NYC and Chicago... a pit stop?!

Anyway, I don't know if you trade, but if you want anything from Fat Head's, you can hit me up.
    loafinaround likes this.
  27. loafinaround

I may actually take you up on that. the concept of oompa loompa is too funny. especially if there's something in NY that you might want....
  28. miketd

I'm good with whatever. I love Cap. Lawrence Captain's Reserve.
    loafinaround likes this.
  29. loafinaround

shit, that beer sounds good! hmmm, gotta see if that's here on the island. It must be. we're not far away! I'll let you know if it's here (and what I think of it :p )
    miketd likes this.
  30. loafinaround

btw, dude... it's all your fault. I just bought cap lawrence captain's reserve to see what the hubub is all about!
    miketd likes this.
  31. But then you would be in Cleveland! Come to the south side of Pittsburgh!
  32. miketd

Haha, yea because Pittsburgh is a paradise! I'm just glad we have good beer here in Cleveland to drink the gloomy weather away.
    yummybeer likes this.
  33. At least our rivers don't catch on fire...;)
    Shmuffalo and miketd like this.
  34. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (325) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

I love it, even on BA the Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry can't be stopped. There is nothing wrong with Cleveland (Well, except the Browns) that all their good beer can't fix.
    miketd and ChrisMon02 like this.
  35. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Cleveland is a pretty cool town now, lots of new things happening there. Plus the beer scene is growing rapidly.
  36. Oompa was alright. Had it today. Wasn't sweet at all which was surprising. It was bitter, deeply roasted and a bit boozy. It was a good dessert after a sandwich there.
  37. Blueribbon666

Lol...cause that's a fresh take. :rolleyes: Laugh & the world laughs w/you i.e.-Great Lakes Burning Rivero_O
  38. Easy there, LeBron. ;)
  39. Blueribbon666

BING...another stinker