1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fathers Day Weekend - Who's Brewing?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mnstorm99, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Summer might be here, finally. But, I am lacking in kegged homebrew. So my next couple batches will be quick turnaround beers.
    Kegged my Galaxy Bursted APA Monday after 10 days in primary, and it is fantastic.
    I have an IPA that has been in the fermenter for three week, so that should get kegged and dry hopped this weekend.
    Then I am also going to brew (probably Friday night) an Amarillo Blonde which should also turn around quickly.

2. Thinking about my Summer brews. A Saison would be nice - 3724 due to the warm temp in the garage, or 3711 if I ferment in the basement. Oh, what the Hell! It's gonna be a ten gal batch - I'll do both! :)
    ...or maybe a Cream Ale (always a crowd pleaser!)
    ...or maybe a Hefe with some orange zest
    ...or maybe ???

inchrisin likes this.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'm wanting to do a double batch this weekend, but don't know what else to do.

Finishing up my keezer build, and got my new ferm chamber going strong...

Didn't get to my Zombie Dust clone last week, so I'm doing it this weekend instead..

My amarillo blonde is about to kick, so I need to brew something like that again for the "masses"... Blonde.. or a hefe with some zest in there sounds pretty good actually.. Want something I can keep low IBU, like under 30. something light and low abv to pound in the heat....

Hefe with Amarillo and orange zest sounds good actually... I need to dig up a good AG hefe recipe. Anyone got one?

4. I'll be brewing a French Saison on Sat., and just bottled my Bavarian Wheat on Sun. My summer beer stash is coming along nicely.

5. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

A Alt this weekend. I'm making my starter tonight.

6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

The amarillo blonde I am brewing this weekend is actually going to be hopbursted (1 ounce each @ 20, 5, 0), so there should be plenty (maybe too much, we'll see) of amarillo flavor and aroma in this one for a blonde. I am avoiding dry hopping right now to get a quicker turnaround.

7. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (340) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

got some belle saison yeast packets, so will be giving it a try against 3724...thinking a ginger saison

8. I just bottled a single hop saison using 3711. I left it in primary for 3 weeks taking it from 1.061 to 1.000. I'm thinking of doing a 100% Brett pale ale on Friday.

9. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

I'm thinking quick turnaround as well since I've done more drinking than brewing lately. Likely a hefe, I've got a nailed recipe that drinks great about 3 weeks after brewing. Either that or the wife's blonde ale again.

10. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

Doing a 6 gallon batch of imperial stout for a competition in october. I plan on splitting it into two 3 gallon carboys and aging one on buffalo trace soaked oak cubes with vanilla beans, and the other straight so I can enter one in the specialty category and one in the regular RIS category.

11. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (510) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Hoping to brew a hop bursted ISA, all @ KO, 25 min whirlpool, 2oz Brewers Gold, 3oz Cascade, 3oz Chinook, 1oz Zeus, fermented w/ Brett Frei. Need to test my system to see if my hop strainer has been failing due to design, or pellets. All whole cone should give some answers.

Also hoping to install an irrigation system for my hops.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Honey wheat, it's gonna be my last mini mash as I'm going all grain for fathers day.

13. Nathon

Nathon Initiate (15) Feb 6, 2013

I plan on brewing a variation of Pliny the Toddler.

14. I am working from home Friday and brewing a 100% brett beer with brett custersianus that will be hit in secondary with a brett anomalous strain.

15. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

Brewing an English Mild on Saturday. Gonna use some Mangrove Jack's dry yeast for the first time, the Newcastle Dark Ale strain specifically.

16. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I visited my LHBS and I'm going to learn how to tap dance with my keezer this weekend. I'll get a little bottling done with a Scottish export and a Kolsch style too. I'm very excited.

17. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Most competitions expect it to REEK of oak, so be aggressive.

18. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

BYO SNPA

2-row
    60L
    Perle
    Cascade
    WLP001

19. justforrazors

justforrazors Initiate (0) Missouri Feb 16, 2013

It is a competition through my local homebrew club, I won't be judging but I know several of the judges, including Ashton Lewis (BYO's Mr. Wizard). I'll be keeping it restrained but present considering the brewers and BJCP judges and their palates.

inchrisin likes this.
  20. In my experience, a beer that reeks of anything generally scores poorly. I may not get out much, but I've never met a judge who would score it otherwise.

justforrazors likes this.
  21. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Bottling an Ipa on Saturday. Taking my dad to see the Red Sox on Sunday. My brother will be in town so I took off Monday to brew a Saison.

A friend of mine with basically the same system will brew a similar Saison this weekend also. The only difference is he is using traditional hops and orange zest and I will use non traditional hops with no orange zest. We will ferment at the same temp but he is going to secondary and I am not since we have been debating whether a secondary makes a big difference. Should be a fun experiment.

22. No brewing.
    I am bottling my Phuxgyven Zero Double IPA on Saturday.
    Missed my numbers somewhat :eek: but it should clock in around 6.7%....

23. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Probably brewing early next week. Got some free time these days.
    PLanning on basically a clone of the New Albion ale as in the BYO mag a few months back. all 2-row and Cascade, though I may throw a half-pound of Crystal20 or 30 malt in there for a bit more color and make things a bit more intesresting.

24. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (280) Iowa May 15, 2011

I am going to brew a Raspberry Wheat on Sunday. Brewing and drinking a few on Fathers day it just doesn't get any better than that does it?

25. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

My IPA is ready for dry-hopping, which is good, because I have a pound of citra arriving tomorrow. I'll either make a Zombie Dust clone this weekend or make a weird brett variant this weekend and then make the normal version later...

26. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

I am brewing my second batch of "Fortunate Islands" a American Wheat recipe brewed by old sock, aka The Mad Fermentationist. My buddies murdered my 1st keg at a BBQ last weekend. I am going to also add a Keg Hop this time around. Great Recipe.

OldSock likes this.
  27. Rye Saison IPA with Centennial, Amarillo, Sterling. Hopefully my LHBS has Amarillo, if not I may try Mosaic with it.

28. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

29. jbakajust1

Well, that recipe is shot. Went to feed the Brett Trois last night and wake it up and the thing is straight vinegar. Hadn't bought any grains for the brew yet. Was able to score a brewery pitch of Budvar Lager, and grabbed 6 row, Flaked Corn, US Saaz, Liberty, and Sterling. Gonna brew a CAP instead to replace my Pils/Helles that is almost gone.

30. Brewing a German wheat beer.

31. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

saison with 3711 and amarillo tomorrow night after the boys go to bed. bottling an IPA batch i split between 1335 (brit II) and 3522 (belg ardennes) Sunday night to be ready by the 4th.

32. FATC1TY

I'm draggin out my shit to brew in the morning.. It's almost 1AM here, and I'm out confirming this damn BGE ain't gonna creep on me that I just tossed a 7 pound pork butt on to smoke overnight for lunch. Smells good.

Anyways.. Got my Zombie Dust going in the tun in a couple of hours, and then a simple summer honey blonde for the folks who like their stuff under 35 IBU's.. Chicks..... ;)

I would love to do my Bo Pils's but the fermentation chamber will need to be at 62 for a week or so, so I should be able to ferment those two ales and then drop the temp and crash them while I ferment the lager at 52 or so.

33. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (375) Georgia Apr 13, 2002

Hmmmm, sounds interesting. May have to give that a look, let us know how it turns out, have you made it before?

34. Major brew day! Checked a Saison that went from 1.092 to 1.006, leaving that in the secondary for a loooong time! Dry hopped a CDA, brewing an Orange Wit and an American Cream Ale Brewers Best kit for my friends that have no taste in beer. Checking out a new LHBS then brewing an English Pale Ale at my buddies... PHEW!!!!

35. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I'm doing a JW Lees Harvest Ale clone (many thanks to everyone in this thread who helped me figure out the process). Currently the first runnings are about halfway boiled down.

I also kegged the English bitter I brewed two weeks ago to grow a nice yeast cake to repitch into the Harvest Ale clone. I tried the hydrometer sample, and it tastes great! It looks nice, too:
    [​IMG]

36. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

brewing a belgian IPA with ardennes and noble hops. It'll get brett when it hits the bottles. Also bottling my 100% brett hop forward american pale ale.

37. FATC1TY

I've mashed in on my ZD clone and halfway through the boil. Smelling pretty good!

Cant decide if I want to do the Blonde or not tonight.... Would love to get it all out of the way, as it's hotter than shit right now and I'm wanting to sleep in tomorrow.

38. jbakajust1

Guess I'm not brewing this weekend. Got my sprinkler system instslled in the hopyard. I'll brew my CAP next Saturday and a Rauchbeir too.

39. SABERG

SABERG Advocate (505) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

All grain Saison with that tempermental Dupont Yeast

Cheers

40. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

How'd that turn out anyway?