Favorite Alaskan Beers

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ds21tango, Feb 10, 2013.

1. What are your favorite Alaskan beers? Also where is your favorite spot to enjoy some good beers near and around Anchorage?

2. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (310) California Nov 22, 2011

I'm a big fan of all things Midnight Sun. Great beer, great people, decent food. The location is a bit off the beaten path but its a great place to hang out. Stupid AK beer laws though... you can only buy 36 oz of beer per day at a brewery for on site consumption, but no limits at bars. It makes no sense.

Other decent places I've found in ANC

-Humpy's alehouse: great tap selection, greasy food, sports bar type atmosphere.

-Taproot: usually pretty good beers on tap, live music, decent atmosphere

-La Bodega: best beer store in town. Growler bar too.

-Cafe Amsterdam: next door to la bodega. Smaller number of taps but they tend to have some amazing beers on tap, but a bit pricey. Never eaten there but have heard the food is good.

-Mooses Tooth pizza and brewery: beer is better than average I'd say, the pizza is awesome. Be prepared to wait.

-glacier brewhouse: beer is mediocre, food is good, again... be prepared to wait,

-snow goose brewery: beer and service suck. Only good thing about it is the deck when the weathers nice.

-king street brewer: very small, relatively new. Beer is decent (I've only had a couple)

FredGallagher likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,110) Washington Sep 18, 2010 Verified

I've been impressed by the beers I've had from Anchorage Brewing: Bitter Monk, The Tide And Its Takers, Galaxy White, Love Buzz...
    Alaskan Brewing makes a good smoked porter, and their barleywine is supposedly good too (I haven't had it yet, still in the cellar).
    EDIT: And of course, Midnight Sun (thanks walterfredo). Arctic Devil, Berserker, TREAT...
    As for where to go, I can't help much as the only time I've been to Anchorage the trip was in no way beer-centric. Maybe check out this page.

4. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013 Verified

I love anything from Midnight Sun and I also enjoy the Alaskan Winter is a solid session beer.

5. walterfredo

Yes, anchorage brewing makes phenomenal beers, Gabe fletcher is the former head brewer at midnight sun. It's my understanding that he borrows space from snow goose and brews there, but there is no prewbub/taproom.

6. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (685) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

Alaskan's Baltic Porter is ridiculously good.

jpbebeau likes this.
  7. LoveBuzz & Berserker

8. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (375) Alaska Dec 13, 2009 Subscriber

Just about anything from King Street. Everything I have had from them has been rock solid. Midnight Sun and Anchorage Brewing are constantly churning out interesting brews. I've enjoyed the beers I've tried from Arkose, which is about a one hour drive up the Glenn in Palmer. Alaskan makes some of my favorites as well: Smoked Porter, Baltic Porter, Barleywine, Imperial Red.

There is a lot of local stuff I have just have not had the chance to try yet because it's a bit of a trip north or south. In the summer I am looking forward to taking a road trip down the Kenai Peninsula to try some of the beers made down that way.

As far as places to have a beer, I don't get out as much as I used to, but in the summer, the deck at Snow Goose is excellent. Humpy's has a great tap list. Cafe Amsterdam is a must--carefully selected beers served at correct temp and in proper glassware. Moose's Tooth is the best for beer and pizza. Spenard Roadhouse has a good (quality over quantity) beer selection and interesting food. O'Brady's on Huffman is a good old school pick for beer. I have not been to Eagle River Alehouse, but there is an extensive tap list there that features local beer.

When it comes to buying some beer, I usually go with La Bodega, Brown Jug Warehouse, or Gold Rush.

This is just a small sample of things to check out. Anchorage is a great beer town. If you want to follow what's happening in the local beer scene, I recommend reading Bill Howell's blog : http://alaskanbeer.blogspot.com and subscribing to Dr. Fermento's email newsletter. Go here: http://www.greatnorthernbrewers.org/index.html and then see the right hand column for how to subscribe.

airevac19 likes this.
  9. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

The smoked porter was WAY to smokey for me. I've had the 2011 Barleywine, fresh and with a year on it, so good I got another to age for one more year.

Passed on it once, never saw it again... been kicking myself ever since.

How's the Imperial Red? I keep passing on it and I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.

10. draheim

Looking @ my review, the bottle was about 2 years old and was vaguely reminiscent of a rauchbier, which can be an either love or hate style. I've read this one holds up pretty well over several years, but I don't know how much the smoke character fades or changes over time.
    Baltic porter hung around forever in Seattle; for all I know it might still be available in some places.

11. JohnnyP3

I thought it was good. A lot more hop flavor than you would expect. Some good citrus flavors to contrast the malt backbone of the beer. Almost crosses the line into Imperial IPA territory, in my opinion.

12. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (685) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

I still see bottles down in Auburn. I should get some more. I don't think much of Alaskan's regular lineup, but their reserve series has some incredible stuff.

13. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (440) Alaska Sep 4, 2012 Verified

14. JohnnyP3

What's wrong with those Seattle beer drinkers? Beers from the last frontier must be a little much for those civilized folks to handle. ;-)

15. draheim

On the contrary; it might be a case of being spoiled for choice. We get much of the best beer from San Diego to Anchorage, including a pretty big half-circle stretching east as well. I picked up a couple bottles of Baltic Porter when it first hit shelves, but after I tried it I didn't race out to buy more. The next, newest, shiniest thing had already distracted me and my wallet.

It can be a little overwhelming. Something really should be done about it.

TheBrewViking likes this.
  16. walterfredo

Alaskan Baltic porter is a fantastic beer and a fantastic bargain. I will buy it every time I see it. Found about 6 bottles of the 2009 on the shelf at a store in Reno, NV recently and bought them all, it's drinking perfectly right now.

17. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Advocate (685) Vermont Apr 9, 2009 Verified

I loved the "Sins" series from Midnight Sun

18. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Smoked porter needs to be aged at least a year before it is drinkable for me, age it longer for better results. I also really like Alaskan's Oatmeal stout and Baltic Porter.

I really enjoyed the Tide and its takers from Anchorage brewing

19. blackcloud

blackcloud Advocate (550) Alaska Apr 28, 2012 Verified Subscriber

Midnight Sun is a must-hit in anchorage, and since you're there, you might as well hit King Street too, since it's about 5 mins away...

Humpy's has the best variety, TapRoot is totally solid (great whiskey selection as well...)

Glacier Brewhouse has probably the most solid, simple IPA in Anchorage, their other standard beers are just ok. Occasionally they'll have some pretty outstanding limited release stuff.

20. JohnnyP3

I think you hit the nail on the head. The choices are overwhelming at times. And because there are so many new brews released old favorites can easily be forgotten. Plus, I would think Seattle is a tough market to differentiate your product.

21. FredGallagher

FredGallagher Zealot (80) Alaska May 6, 2013

I agree on Midnight Sun Brewing having amazing beers - I am drinking the Monk's Mistress as we speak with a new found devotion to dark ales - but Moose's Tooth (though great in what they do) is not real pizza.

Forgive me, my mind is highly opinionated due to my NYC influences - and that I run a pizzeria in Anchorage that adheres to tradition East Coast principles. This isn't you Sicily's lol.

My favorite brewery is Silver Gulch.