1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite American-brewed Belgian Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ricelikesbeer, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Has to be Victory Golden Monkey, North Coast Pranqster, Green Flash Rayon Vert and Ommegang BPA. Three Philosophers gets an honorable mention.
  2. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Goose Island Sofie is pretty fantastic and reasonably priced.
    larryi86, cavedave and djl9701 like this.
  3. Is Allagash Curieux disqualified due to bourbon barrel aging? If not, I choose that.
    IcemanCometh likes this.
  4. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

They should, Ommegang is owned by Duvel.
    Kubrickx likes this.
  5. Horny Devil and Rayon Vert [drops mic, walks offstage]
  6. Ergo, this beer would qualify as well - under that standard? ;)
    Errto, airforbes1, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  7. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

As of just last week, Ommegang Abby Dubbel. Love me some Victory Helios, Unibroue Maudite (NA), Allagash Witte, and other Belgian styles by these brands. Had an Allagash Coolship Resurgam this past summer which was a total beer moment for me.

Ommegang Abby Dubbel with pound cake is a match made in heaven
  8. Beatification
    Lots of Saisons
  9. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Brother Thelonius hands down
  10. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

I was murdered on this website a couple of years ago for not loving Lost Abbey- thought it was better and cheaper to buy the real thing. Now Lost Abbehy barely gets a mention.
  11. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Hennepin (just about anything from Ommegang, actually), Saison Rue, Brooklyn Local 1, Pranqster, Damnation.
    kell50 likes this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Off the shelf for me, New Belgium Abbey Style.
  13. Its already been mentioned, but my favorite is Ommegang Hennepin. Also, Allagash Odyssey is an amazing Belgian dark.
  14. I'm quite fond of Weyerbacher Verboten , myself- not too many others I enjoy as much in the 5-ish% range. We could definitely use more like that one.
  15. cleeze

cleeze Savant (290) Maine Nov 24, 2008

CURiEUX is MIND BLOWING,SON![​IMG]
  16. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I had a saison deluxe from southampton last week that was killer...
  17. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Boom Island Tripel and Blvd Tank 7.
  18. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

Allagash Curieux
  19. Most of the Anchorage beers.
  20. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

I basically scrolled down this liking every post with Ommegang. I had never heard of them before I visited the Duvel brewery, saw them when I came back and I grab everything I can from them. I LOVE Three Philosophers, Hennepin, their Abby ale, Gnomegang. Everything I have tried from them is gold (granted I need to try more)
    Bradystraps likes this.
  21. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

Avery Salvation
  22. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I like Dragonmead Final Absolution. It's a solid triple and it's on tap everywhere around here
  23. Goose Island Pere Jacques and RR Damnation. Put some age on the former and it's sublime.
  24. Alesmith Grand Cru
    OneDropSoup likes this.
  25. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (300) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

I second this. Heck, I'll triple this as well. Rayon Vert is one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. And it keeps you coming back for more. The only full case I've purchased in a very long time.
  26. Was going to say Ommegang Abbey myself. Especially impressive considering most American-made dubbels are pretty bad.
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  27. Oooh yeah, this one too. Just had a 2010 & it was fantastic.
  28. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I would love to try those beers. We dont' get much or any allagash in colorado, but those ones are the main beers I'd like to try from them. I'm sure they are hard to find everywhere.
  29. Ricelikesbeer

boulevard does some great belgian stuff, and is underrated in my opinion. I really love tank 7, and drink it pretty regularly. 6th glass is also great stuff, but I've experienced a big amount of variation lately. Some of them have been tasting more hot and solvent than in the past.
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  30. Ricelikesbeer

Ten commandments from Lost abbey is great! I also really like Ommegang dubbel and pretty much any of their dark beers.
  31. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

Ommegang and Unibroue nail the belgian style very well. Hennepin & Trois Pistoles maybe be my two favorites from their respective breweries.
    Other beers i thought were spot on: Alllagash Tripel, and 2011 Boulevard Saison Brett
  32. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

The Reverend!
    Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  33. Ommegang Abbey, Brooklyn Local 2, and Friars Quad are all amazing. Have not seen Harpoon's Belgian pale Ale lately so it was probably dropped, but really enjoyed that as a lawnmower beer.
  34. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I'm never disappointed with what Brewery Vivant puts out.
  35. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Until recently, Rayon Vert. I just had Bourbon Little Brother from the Commons, and HOLY COW!!! Bourbon is very subdued, almost indetectible, but as a BDSA, it's one of the best I've had.
  36. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Goose Island Pere Jacques 2009 held its own against any of the high-quality vintage ales I've had from here. Gorgeous port notes, with a maturity in technique that completely blew me away. I generally just like American beers for their big set of flavor cohones but often lack in finesse, but this proved to me that you fellahs really do know your way around a brew kettle ;)

[​IMG]
  37. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

Anything by The Bruery could be a contender, but the best I've had was 2 Turtle Doves.
  38. JEdmund

JEdmund Savant (465) Kansas Oct 23, 2006

Boulevard Tank 7, closely followed by North Coast La Merle, and then Ommegang Hennepin (and Three Philosophers).
  39. CSQ1111

CSQ1111 Savant (310) Kentucky Jan 10, 2010

I think it depends on the style of the beer, but definitely Ommegang deserves the praise that it has received in this post. However, when it comes to Lambics; check out what Upland is doing in Bloomington, IN.
  40. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

So true! Very underrated...