1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite BCBS Variation Poll

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by ChugginOil, Jan 18, 2013.

?

What's Your Favorite BCBS?

1. BCBS

6.4%
  2. BCBS Coffee

21.7%
  3. BCBS Vanilla

28.7%
  4. BCBS Rare

20.4%
  5. BCBS Bramble Rye

8.6%
  6. BCBS Cherry Rye

9.2%
  7. Other Draft-Only Variations

5.1%
  1. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

Can you expand on how Rare is falling off?

2. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (200) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

I'd like to hear as well. Vanilla was my favorite beer fresh, however... the last few times i've had it it tastes like regular BCS. I haven't had rare in a long time (I guess I should open my bottles soon), but 2009 BCS is epic. Absolutely destroyed the 2012 when we did a side by side last month. I can't imagine Rare tasting worse than '09, which was phenominal.

3. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

The gravity is dropping and its mellowing out.

Now its medium bodied and the barrel characteristics aren't as prevalent. Now it just tastes like 2009 BCBS. No joke.

4. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (570) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

The Neapolitan I had at the Great Taste a few years ago

5. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

In order, as of a month or so ago, for me:

Rare
    Vanilla
    Apple Brandy BCS
    Coffee 12
    08 BCS
    Bramble
    Pinot BCS
    10 BCS
    Cherry Rye
    11 BCS
    09 BCS
    12 BCS
    Baudonia (Low Storage BCS)
    Manhattan BCS
    "Cherry BCS"
    07 BCS
    06 BCS
    05 BCS

I think 08 has peaked, and by association, this means Rare is likely peaking as well (though still drinking marvelously -- assuming stored correctly). Vanilla is almost as good as Rare for me, and the vanilla character is still excellent. I think 09 is hotter than 10, but no one else agrees with me.

6. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Jeff, Where's the Coffee 11?

7. jegross2

And COffee 10, oops!

'10 Coffee was on par with '10 BCS, and '11 BCS Coffee just tastes like '11 BCS now. '10 Coffee still has delicious coffee flavor. Buffalo Trace BCS didnt taste any different to me. Also, was it ever confirmed what kind of wine the Wine BCS was at FOBAB this year?

Now, if only I could try Ghost Pepper and Neopolitan BCS...and maybe an 03 (just cause).

8. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I've had most of these a couple times within the last few months. My Top-5 are as follows:

Vanilla
    Bramble Rye
    Rare
    2008 BCBS
    Cherry Rye

9. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (205) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

^^ This hands down.

10. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

I can see the chocolate fudge, but I got a very earthy taste off Baudoinia. Maybe it was just knowing about the barrel fungus, but I got a huge amount of it on the nose, and a decent amount in the taste.

The closest thing I can compare it to is corn smut (aka huitlacoche), which is a fungus that grows on corn husks and is a delicacy in Mexico. That also had the woody, earthy smell/taste with a bit of dark chocolate bittersweetness.

11. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

YES!!! Had this at the GI takeover at Acre...absolutely incredible.

12. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Just speaking to the order of the regular BCS vertical, I was pretty surprised at this order. I did this 5 year vert with a tasting group a few months ago and I think everyone in the group had the 09 as the best. After that it was a mix between the 08 and 11, followed by the 12 and the 10 pulling up the rear. The 10 was the biggest outlier of the group in terms of general profile. The 08 seemed muddled, or to have "fallen off," compared to the 09 and felt past it's prime. The 11 was surprisingly good for just a year. It made me reconsider aging these beers beyond a year, which I might put into practice if the 5 year vertical next year holds true to this. The 12 was still a bit hot, as to be expected.

I think storage might come into play in the differences from your list to ours. From what I understand, the 10 bottle from our group was stored at normal refrigerator temp the entire time while the rest were stored at or close to 55 degrees the entire time. You would think it would just taste "newer" because of it, but it seriously was off compared to the rest of the bottles. Any help on explaining how that might be? I'm also surprised you had the 09 so low. It was the unanimous winner in our group and was such a great beer.

As far as the OP's question. Bramble is my favorite variant in all that I have tried.

13. It's getting dull, the barrel character is becoming muted. See also: 2008 BCBS, and to a lesser extent, King Henry.

Bourbon County, arguably, peaks at around 2-3 years. People are raving about 2009 now in the way that they were raving about 2008 a year ago. Not surprising.

14. ...and to get back on topic, Apple Brandy BCBS was the truth.

15. Additionally, the blending really seems to of made BCS much more drinkable out the gate, thus, it would not surprise me if 2011 or 2012 are considered at their peak at release or in a much shorter time span post release and taper off slowly from there.. as opposed to how older vintages were

16. The 2011 vintage, definitely. 2012, IMSDHO, has enough heat to have some staying power, but it will probably peak closer to two years instead of three.

Semi-related note: does anybody else remember how hot 2009 was fresh??

17. mjmadsen21

mjmadsen21 Aficionado (245) Indiana Jan 13, 2012

We actually recently added vanilla beans and ghost chilis to regular bcbs 2012 bottles then quickly recapped and let them sit for 2 weeks. Had them on saturday and the vanilla was unreal! Me being a chili head I loved the ghost chili variation as well as the combo with vanilla bean. I don think I am going to look for bourbon county vanilla anymore...just make my own!

moefriedman likes this.
  18. jegross2

Not really sure. It's not that I disliked 09. I just found it a bit "hot" by comparison to the bookend years (08/10). The 08 has definitely peaked, and its not as good as it was a year ago, but its not "falling off" in my opinion. 08 is in that "drink now/soon" category still. 07 is halfway down the slope and 06 has totally fallen off. I based these opinions on the verticals I have participated in three times in the past 6 months, but this is again just my personal observation. Everyones palate differs.

davey101 likes this.
  19. jegross2

IIRC, and someone please check this before we end up with another JEG-started 07 BCS fiasco on our hands, this is because the last couple of years have been blended to taste.

20. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Vanilla with a year on it was phenomenal! Not better than the base beer IMO, but the best variation I've had (bramble, '10-'12 Coffee). Can't wait to try an incoming cherry rye. I've given up hope on ever trying Rare though :(

Will be having my '09-'11 bottles this week probably. Can't wait to try that '09!

21. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

this post makes me want to buy a pound of vanilla beans from ebay. losing a little carbonation isn't gonna hurt bcbs all that much...

22. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (645) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

I'm totally going to try this! Sounds like fun :)

23. Somehow I doubt it. Personal opinion: Laffler got reeel good at blending over the past few years.

24. mjmadsen21

mjmadsen21 Aficionado (245) Indiana Jan 13, 2012

Actually if you have a few people and do it in assembly line fashion to minimize the time the bottle is open it should be fine. Maybe the sugars in the vanilla beans help to recarb? Any we opened still had that wonderful carbonated sound and did not seem less carbonated then regular bcbs.

kool3320 and tinypyramids like this.
  25. There is a bar in the west 'burbs that runs BCBS through a hopback full of split vanilla beans. It works pretty well.

Now to just find a keg of BCBS...

stevegoz likes this.
  26. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Am I again in the minority that loved wine bcbs and wasn't a huge fan of apple Brady? Apple wasn't cherry bad but it wasn't that good.

27. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I'm amazed that so many people like Bramble the best. BCS is just about perfect and Bramble doesn't taste much like BCS.

crushedvol likes this.
  28. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (200) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

Very interesting. Did you just add one bean per bottle and recap? I need details!! Thanks!!

29. kool3320

kool3320 Aficionado (105) Indiana Aug 22, 2010

1) Vanilla. 2) Rare. 3) Regular BCS. 4) Bourdonia (hidden gem). 5) Coffee. 6) Cherry Rye. 7) Bramble

As for the draft only....limited exposure
    1) Rare (on tap at release 2010, was amazing) 1.5) Apple Brandy. 2) Choclate (blending) 3) Ancho chili (stout fest 2011) 4) Raspberry/Coffe infusion ( block party)

30. kool3320

kool3320 Aficionado (105) Indiana Aug 22, 2010

I was able to taste these home made variants. They were fantastic!! I need to go find some vanilla beans and start dropping them in my BCS. Warning though no more than 1/2 a ghost pepper per bottle. The pour i had from the 2 pepper bottle almost burned my tounge off.

31. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

I completely agreed when this was fresh. But have you tried it lately? Still one of my least favorite variations, but it is drinking fantastically right now.

32. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

I traded for one bottle when it was fresh, drank it, then never thought about it again..

33. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

1.) Rare
    2.) Regular (with some age)
    3.) Coffee
    4.) Bramble
    5.) Cherry

The ranking doesn't mean much though... they are all fantastic in my opinion.