1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Favorite Beer and Food Combo

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by JimmyGillingham, Dec 19, 2012.

1. So, although this was inspired by the beer v. wine thread, I dont want it to devolve into that. I am not as familiar with beer and food pairings as I am with wine and food. So, I am curious, what is your favorite beer and food pairing. This can either be style or specific beer.

2. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (385) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

Pizza and a good IPA. Founders Centennial or Harvest Ale when in season.

3. So, IPA with pizza. What is a good bbq beer?

4. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (360) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

This time of year Troegs Mad Elf would be excellent, Chimay Grand Reserve (blue), a good smoked porter goes well wit bbq also...Cheers!!!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

6. Belgian quad (the reverend) with duck confit

buddha5050 likes this.
  7. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (360) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

welcome!

8. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

it's all good. this will probably get moved into that one i linked.

is that a bottle of pappy i spy with my eye?

9. Sure is. Good eye!

match1112 likes this.
  10. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (620) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

GI BCS and a good Italian cheese and sausage thin crust.

11. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Beer + nachos! Beer + pizza!

...yes, vague but somehow they always work, no matter the beer it seems. At least, the beers I'd pair with food. (Aside from sours. Those seem to always work best with salads and pasta dishes.)

12. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (410) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Zombie Dust/Alpha King/Gumballhead and Pizza

13. There are just too many to mention, so I'll post my most recent favorite: Deschutes The Abyss and Molly Moon Stumptown Coffee ice cream.

14. KBS and chocolate chip cookies! BAM! do it!

Dmbphoenix likes this.
  15. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (475) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Chicken livers w/ bacon and a glass of Saison.

bigsilky likes this.
  16. I love Scotch Ale with duck confit. Saison Dupont and old Parmesan is also wonderful.

17. Currently drinking a 2012 Bigfoot and munching on some aged gouda, it seems to go quite well together. But then again aged gouda always seems to go quite well with something, and really so does Bigfoot.

18. strohme2

strohme2 Advocate (525) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

I love a cold SNPA on a hot summer's day with a burger off the grill. Perfect

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  19. This will not sound right to most, but I really like a stout with pepperoni pizza. Something about the roasty taste and the spicy pepperoni I really enjoy.

20. lookrider

lookrider Savant (435) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I have found that a nice Belgian strong dark ale goes great with some Pennsylvania Dutch home cooking. For example, tonight I'm going to have a Unibroue Trois Pistoles with some chicken pot pie. Deelish

21. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (370) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I love Trois Pistoles, it goes great with a lot, but my favorite would be making carbonnade a la flamade with a bsda and drinking the same beer while I enjoy the stew (Trois is perfect and won't break the bank).

22. lookrider

lookrider Savant (435) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Ok, now you've got my mouth watering

23. dperga

dperga Zealot (85) California Apr 10, 2010

Blacken chicken sandwich with a nice ipa. Can't go wrong

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  24. Old Rasputin and rack of lamb with mint jelly. Would eat it everyday if I could.

25. Last night's: Dogfish Head Birra Etrusca alongside my homemade porchetta (wrapped in pancetta). Pasta course was homemade gnocchi tossed in a simple sauce of plum tomatoes, green olives and smoked mozzarella. Beyond kick ass.

26. Oysters and Gueuze, Smoked brisket or smoked shortrib with a good scotch ale, Chocolate Fudge with sea salt and bourbon barrel aged stout

FishPondManager likes this.
  27. This. I also love a good coffee stout with piles of French toast.

28. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Call me weird, but Rogue's Chipotle ale with chocolate cake is very good at least for me.

cbartow likes this.
  29. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (380) Texas Nov 7, 2011

A real good meaty pizza and a fresh crisp IPA is hard to beat. I do like pairing chocolate with chocolate souts a lot too.

30. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,055) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Stuffed salmon, baked potato, asparagus, and a Dark Truth stout.

[​IMG]

31. A couple days ago I had a grilled Italian sausage sandwich w/ peppers and onions and was pleasantly surprised at how well Brooklyn Brown Ale went with it.

32. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poobah (1,095) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Pretty much any beer with any food.
    I've never been very good at beer/food pairings. I cook a meal and pull out a beer to drink with it. I don't spend time thinking what beer goes with what food. The possibilities are virtually endless.
    Enjoy the food and enjoy the beer!

33. cbartow

cbartow Aficionado (100) New York May 10, 2011

First one that comes to mind...... caramelized bananas, vanilla ice cream and Rogue's John John Hazelnut. The right pairings completely change one's perspective