1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Beer and Food Pairings

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by DHS1029, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Most recently I had made Salmon with a BBQ mustard sauce, baked asparagus with olive oil and parmesan, and rice with teriyaki sauce and paired it with a Bell's Two Hearted. The Two Hearted was the perfect drinking companion to a savory dish like that. What are some of everyone's personal favorites?

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  2. Scuttlebutt tripple and Ruffles!

3. Big Eye IPA and spicy Thai

4. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Pizza and any beer.

5. Oud Bruin and French Dip

iatethecloudsfor likes this.
  6. Arrogant Bastard and General Tso's chicken.

Not exactly gourmet from $1.35 Scoop, but it's a damn good combo.

jtdolla911 and bigedct like this.
  7. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

A barleywine with a nice blue cheese and chocolate chip cookies with an IPA are two that immediately jump to mind.

VictorWisc and DHS1029 like this.
  8. Imperial Stouts and a Porterhouse steak

TastefulNudity likes this.
  9. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I made a lemon coriander chicken curry with a fair amount of heat (I make my curry from scratch, no curry powder for me), and the lemon and heat paired really well with the citrus and hops of Odell IPA.

10. DHS1029

No one said it had to be gourmet ;)

11. DHS1029

That chicken sounds amazing...

12. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

This:
    [​IMG]
    Steaks in the grill with Gandhi Bot
    And this:
    [​IMG]
    Pepe's pizza with Pliny.

JKali860, MickJ0nes and DHS1029 like this.
  13. Amen, an IPA and a spicy pepperoni pizza and you don't get much better than that

DHS1029 likes this.
  14. DHS1029

Those are some nice looking ribeyes

15. bigedct

That
    would undoubtedly be my wife's post. Cheese n 'white. Her favs. I enjoy it as well.

16. bigedct

Almost
    as good as the 'bot. They were delicious. Bone in steaks are the best.

DHS1029 likes this.
  17. Supermarket sushi and Prima Pils.

18. Kriek and Stilton, my mouth came.

19. DHS1029

I wish we got New England Brewing Co. in Chicago. Ghandi-Bot sounds amazing.

Side note - seeing those steaks reminds me of the good old days when I was in college at Kansas State as an Ag major. For one of my classes, a meat lab, we would evaluate the cattle in the arena first (usually Angus) and then next time we had class we would be in the big meat locker measuring the sorry bastard's ribeye and grading the meat quality. Gave me such a better appreciation for steaks.

bigedct likes this.
  20. This is a good one (not my pic): Bavarian beer cheese, fresh pretzel, and a liter of Augustiner Helles

[​IMG]

21. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

It is delicious! It's a relatively easy curry with a lot of flavor when I'm craving Indian food. But still tasty and authentic.

I'm going through some of my food photos (yes, I'm a food geek...I love to cook, and then I love to pair delicious beers and take bad pictures on my phone...I'm a pretty dang good chef, reasonable at beer pairings, and a terrible photographer)

I made this bbq chicken pizza with homemade crust and we paired it with Dale's Pale Ale. Very tasty combo...
    [​IMG]

I'll have to look for a few more...

22. bigedct

But did you get to eat them after you measured them?? Finish the story!

23. bigedct

24. tstigz

tstigz Savant (315) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

IPA and grilled salmon. IPA and any cheese with a blue vein running through it. Mussels in gueuze is probably my favorite ever.

25. DHS1029

I think some sort of trade can be arranged ;)

26. DHS1029

Sadly, no. The meat was given to the university and processed for the dining halls. I did have my fair share of excellent aged steaks on my many visits to Kansas City, which still is my favorite city to dine in

27. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

itchytasty likes this.
  28. yesss ittt issss

29. Southern Tier Creme Brulee & Cinnamon Rolls. More than one and diabeetus.

30. Cheddar cheese and most hoppy beer styles.
    IPA and DIPA with most spicy foods.
    Chocolate desserts with Barrel aged dark beers.
    Farmers cheese with saisons and witbeers.
    A malt forward amber ale with steak or pizza.
    A fruity sour beer with fish especially salmon.
    Porters and brown ales with burgers.
    Coffee beers and APA go wonderfully with eggs, any breakfast meat, hashbrowns.
    Staghorn Octoberfest with a soft pretzel.

DHS1029 likes this.
  31. awinkro

awinkro Savant (285) Texas Oct 15, 2008

Went to Belgium for my honeymoon and had the best pairing at a small restaurant in Wallonia:

Anchovies w/ Hanssens Oude Gueuze. Shit you not. Saltiness of the anchovies paired incredibly well with the sour Gueuze.

32. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

While the citrusy flavors of an Ipa can real pair well with some spicy dishes... ipas really are not the ideal pairing. The overly exerted hoppiness of an Ipa only enhances the spice, or at least tge tasters perceotion of spice, from the dish. In terms of pairing, or complementing a dish, Scotch ales or other malt forward beers tend to be a better fit.

33. I think that I need to preface this by saying in the nicest possible way...your an idiot!

Actually for me... IPA's and DIPA's are infact MY ideal pairing... thats why I wrote that in my post that you commented on. Maybe, I do infact like the hops enhancing the heat in the spicy foods that I eat. Let me decide what I like to eat and drink! YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME AND MY FAVORITE BEER/FOOD PAIRINGS!!!:rolleyes: I do what I want!:cool:

34. ABisonEgo

im not trying to shit on your parade man! but i have to correct you on your use of you're as opposed to your. wrong.

but really though, thats totally fine.... i mean, what you like to drink. but from an actual beer and food pairing perspective where the idea is to really complement the food with the beverage just as wine does with many foods, you really have to consider the properities of the food and the beer wholisticallly. pairing an ipa with spicy food not only magnifies the experience of the spiciness of the dish but also the carbonation and mouthfeel. they really are not ideal pairings. scotch ales, scottish ales, amber lagers, and light amber ales are much more ideal because of their malt forward sweetness which actually compliments the dish (the whole point of wine/beer/food pairings).

to each their own brother!!! im honestly not shitting on you, just really trying to pull in a different perspective who follows beer, food, and wine very closely. I personally love spicy food, but you cant deny the fact that a really hoppy double ipa really brings that crazy spice out and causes an intense chemical reaction with the food you are eating that more than doubles the carbonation in your mouth. it literally turns into foam! any insight or ideas that i am not familiar with, please bm me. I will never turn down an opportunity to learn something.

cheers,

Steven

pps. cbl's on the 23rd? despite recent differences, see you there?

35. ABisonEgo

im not trying to shit on your parade man! but i have to correct you on your use of you're as opposed to your. wrong.

but really though, thats totally fine.... i mean, what you like to drink. but from an actual beer and food pairing perspective where the idea is to really complement the food with the beverage just as wine does with many foods, you really have to consider the properities of the food and the beer wholisticallly. pairing an ipa with spicy food not only magnifies the experience of the spiciness of the dish but also the carbonation and mouthfeel. they really are not ideal pairings. scotch ales, scottish ales, amber lagers, and light amber ales are much more ideal because of their malt forward sweetness which actually compliments the dish (the whole point of wine/beer/food pairings).

to each their own brother!!! im honestly not shitting on you, just really trying to pull in a different perspective who follows beer, food, and wine very closely. I personally love spicy food, but you cant deny the fact that a really hoppy double ipa really brings that crazy spice out and causes an intense chemical reaction with the food you are eating that more than doubles the carbonation in your mouth. it literally turns into foam! any insight or ideas that i am not familiar with, please bm me. I will never turn down an opportunity to learn something.

cheers,

Steven

pps. cbl's on the 23rd? despite recent differences, see you there?

36. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Almost any smoked cheese with a heavy RIS.

37. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (345) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Steak tartare & fries with Gueuze
    Duck confit with Westmalle Dubbel or the like. Also a good beer with a steak with blue cheese sauce.
    Cacio e pepe with Cantillon Kriek (don't get to have this enough)
    Peanut butter & chocolate with Old Rasputin

DHS1029 likes this.
  38. Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the world and Kansas City is your favorite?

39. DHS1029

Believe me, I love Chicago and all the restaurants it has to offer having lived here my entire life, but it can be crowded and pricey on most weekends and going down to the city is expensive. I loved Kansas City's Midwestern charm and felt more relaxed, plus the steaks and ribs were out of this world.