1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Beer and Food Pairings

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by DHS1029, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Speaking of steaks, Revolution brewpub has a fantastic smoked steak that pairs nicely with their porter.
  2. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I heard that Rev's brewpub has some excellent food. I really need to check it out
    maximthegreat likes this.
  3. ktblue22

ktblue22 Aficionado (230) Vermont Feb 15, 2013

I think mine is a smooth, hearty Rye IPA with a Vermont aged cheddar. Perfection to me. What are your favorite pairing(s)?
    BeerKangaroo and MickJ0nes like this.
  4. Currently enjoying a Ruthless Rye from Sierra, along with some aged Gouda. I'm of the opinion that beer and cheese make a better pairing than wine and cheese.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. a nice stout/porter with blue cheese and crackers is always good, or an IPA and a BBQ pulled pork sandwich
  6. tweezer159

tweezer159 Savant (290) Alabama May 2, 2008

I recently had a Green Flash/Cigar City Candella cedar aged barley wine with a cheese trio plate (bleu, cows milk, I forget the third). Main course Emilese Rauchbier alongside seared duck breast with lindemans peche lambic and apricot reduction, served with braised fennel, and black eyed pea risotto. It took my appreciation of beer/food pairings to a new level.
  7. FBS and, uh, breakfast.
  8. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Any style beer and pizza
    regularjohn likes this.
  9. Did somebody say FBS and Breakfast?

[​IMG]
  10. also when i went to nyc craft beer festival they had a beer and cheese pairing seminar and this is what i had from murray's cheese along with the beer

rivers edge up in smoke (pasteurized goat | oregon) paired with lagunitas little sumpin' sumpin' ale
    wsdc dante (pasteurized sheep | wisconsin) paired with victory festbier
    cabot clothbound cheddar (pasteurized cow | vermont) paired with maine beer co. peeper ale
    rogue river blue cheese (raw cow | oregon) paired with founders breakfast stout <----AWESOME COMBO

this is a great spot in new york they got a nice beer selection too, and this is a list of recommended pairings with different beer styles and cheese

http://www.murrayscheese.com/learn-about-cheese/pairing-guide/
  11. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Kentucky or Canadian Breakfast Stout with creme brûlée.
  12. I really love pairing a nice 2-4 year old Gouda with a barley wine like SN Bigfoot and FSW Sucaba. I also like to pair a really sharp white cheddar with a roasty Imperial Stout!
  13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I had CBS on tap for breakfast with french toast that was pretty good.
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I refuse to pair anything with Vermont cheddar until Vermont apologises for its cheese.
    ktblue22 likes this.
  15. DHS1029

CCB Jai Alai goes great with spicy dishes, just as it suggests on the back of the can. I just had one with some spicy homemade tacos the other night and the combination was perfect:

[​IMG]
  16. I've been setting up tasting dinners for some friends every few weeks which has been a blast. This was the first I did at home with just my fiance and I and unfortunately the only one I got pictures of. The Triple with the Balsamic Chicken Salad was pretty awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  17. I'm with ya'll...pizza & almost any cotton pickin' beer is heaven.
  18. Green chile and IPA
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  19. Mol

Mol Aspirant (25) West Virginia Mar 30, 2013

Spicy pepperoni pizza and Negra Modelo
  20. cambabeer

cambabeer Savant (320) Florida Dec 29, 2010

IPA with any spicy food and you've combined two of the greatest things known to man
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  21. chussein

chussein Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013

Cherry pie and Cantillon Kriek 2007 :)
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  22. Saison Dupont, English Stilton, and dried apricots.... good times.
  23. Looks like bone in strips to me.
  24. Any Aecht Schlenkerla with Snyder's of Hanover sourdough pretzels. So simple and so great.
  25. DHS1029

Had bison sliders with a Great Lakes Alchemy Hour DIPA tonight. It was very good.
  26. billbeers

billbeers Savant (300) Pennsylvania Jun 14, 2012

Beer and pizza for me.
  27. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Maple walnut cheesecake and Stone Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter. Holy shit this was awesome! My aunt make the cheesecake from scratch so wont have this again probably but the best combo ive ever had by far!
    Parrotshake likes this.
  28. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

I recently discovered that Dubbels go really well with saucy BBQ.
    Parrotshake and Eriktheipaman like this.
  29. carrycash

carrycash Initiate (5) Jun 5, 2013

30. Having Salmon with fennel, lemon, jalapeño, and blood oranges paired with HF Double Galaxy. Amazing
  31. How's you do the salmon? Broil? Just put the jalapeños on top or was it marinated? Sounds great
  32. My wife prepared the dinner, however you can find the recipe in the January issue of Bon Appetit. Yes it was definitely great!
  33. Johnbenco34

Johnbenco34 Disciple (60) Florida May 16, 2013

I would recommend going to any place that serves smoked meats. get a smoked pulled pork sandwich and pair it with an abbey ale. I did the abbey ale from ommegang and paired it with a pulled pork bisket sandwich (good stuff)
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  34. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Just had a Bacon and Boursin cheeseburger last week along with a SN Ruthless Rye, boy that was absolutely awesome.
    ChipMurray likes this.
  35. DAShaw

DAShaw Initiate (10) Ohio Jan 15, 2014

On a whim I recently tried one of the "Day of The Dead" beers, specifically the porter, ("Pay the Ferryman Porter").
    This has got to be one of the best porters I have every tasted. Great body with a resilient head, the caramel was not overwhelming and there was a wonderfully light chocolate finish.
    You got to try this. Their blond ale was also really good, but the porter kicked ass.
  36. Yes it does, must have at the first opportunity. ^^
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  37. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

New Dutch byob (Noord) in Philly which I think is perfect for beer (See menu): http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/noordphillycom?url=http://www.noordphilly.com/#2726
    And despite the chef/owner's comments (wine lover) this place requires beer not wine. Things like the strong fennel in the salmon soup, the herring, sauerkraut, mustards, I find a very difficult match for just about any wine. Farmhouse ales and sours all day.

Thanks
  38. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I love a good IPA with BBQ.

Like what I've got going on tonight.. Good IPA's, paired with some smoked loin ribs, homemade smoked baked beans, country style garlic green beans cooked to death... Can't beat it. Pairs perfectly.

A crisp pilsner is pretty damn good too however.
  39. Last night was actually the first time I made a conscious decision in a pairing, and I thought it turned out well

On the plate: Pan seared New York Strip with parmesan risotto and a red wine herb pan sauce
    In the glass: Enjoy by 2/14/14

I liked the nice hop bite to cut through the richness of the steak and risotto, ironically was more of a palate refresher than a palate wrecker.

[​IMG]

lessons learned: dinner lighting is not ideal for pictures
    DHS1029 likes this.
  40. DHS1029

Big fan of the Enjoy By... too bad Stone did not distribute the Valentine's Day batch to Illinois this time since they oversaturated us with 12.13.13 which was also great.