1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite bottled hoppy offerings from OR and WA

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by hannont, Mar 2, 2013.

1. hannont

hannont Aficionado (140) Oregon Feb 9, 2008

I'm curious to know what some of your favorite bottled hoppy offerings are from breweries in OR or WA. These beers are generally not my thing, so I haven't tried many of them. I'm looking to pick up a few for a friend from outside the region. I'm not looking for IPA variants exclusively, just beers with a prominent hop profile. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. Cheers!
  2. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Into growlers? I'd go with Trickster or Lucille.
  3. Haven't had it yet, but Double Mountain just released their double ipa, Molten Lava.
    djbreezy likes this.
  4. aaronCS

aaronCS Aficionado (100) Oregon Feb 20, 2012

I really like Gigantic IPA.
    Smurf2055 and mporter13 like this.
  5. jamdugan

jamdugan Aficionado (200) Oregon Mar 30, 2006

Workhorse is solid. Also old Schoolhouse IPA is good.
    Lazerlobe, sharpski and guajolote like this.
  6. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Descender
  7. Workhorse IPA (Laurelwood Brewing)
    Apocalypse IPA (10 barell brewing)
    Decanter IPA (good life brewing)
    Total Domination (ninkasi brewing)
    Hopworks IPA (Hopworks brewing HUB)
    Watershead IPA (Oakshire Brewing)
  8. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Descender :)
    flexabull likes this.
  9. Thanks. Auto correct.
  10. Depends upon what you like in hop character. Hoppiness isn't a flavor. Do you like citrus, pine, earthy, dank, floral, or a combination of two or more of these flavors?

I like citrus so would go with Hopworks IPA, Workhorse, and HOTD Blue Dot. I sometimes like dank so would go with Fremont Interurban.

Unfortunately for you, the best OR and WA IPAs are not (yet) bottled or canned - those from Boneyard, Fremont's The Brother and The Sister, Georgetown Lucille, Black Raven Wisdom Seeker (except on rare and very limited occasions), and Elysian Hubris.
    flexabull and Dogfishipas like this.
  11. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Savant (270) Washington Feb 17, 2013

One of my favorites is brewed and bottled in Poulsbo, WA. Humulo Nimbus IIPA from Sound Brewing.
    ijaap and yojimbo1 like this.
  12. hannont

hannont Aficionado (140) Oregon Feb 9, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. So far I have a growler of Boneyard's Hop Venom, Gigantic IPA, Double Mountain Molten Lava and Good Life's Descender. Tried to get some Washington offerings at By the Bottle in Vancouver but was let down by the selection.
  13. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

the new Workhorse is superb, nearly as good as the OLD Workhorse...and the DIPA on tap at Laurelwood, Megafauna is definitely worth obtaining.
  14. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Ninkasi Total Domination and Fort George Vortex are also worthy mentions.
  15. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

It was mentioned above, but +1 to Blue Dot. Sometimes the bottle might not be near as good as on tap, but it's a great NW beer.
  16. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Boundary Bay IPA
    libbey and sharpski like this.
  17. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Bourbon Barrel Aged Vortex was soooooooooo juicy. I definitely preferred it to the original, which is weird as the general rule is IPA's are best fresh.