1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Brewery Experience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KVNBGRY, Feb 13, 2013.

1. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

I want to know what your favorite brewery is to grab a drink at. Whether it be just damn good beer, location (view), activities/games, people, ambience, etc. If you had to choose one, where do you go? (we know how these threads work, so just keep it at a top 3 ;))

I'll start:
    I'd go to Odell Brewing Co. Their brews are 2nd to none. The weather is incredible. The occasional food trucks are delicious. You're in the front range in Colorado! I've never met a rude person there, which is very important to me. Overall it's an incredible place. (and they're expanding!)

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  2. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (380) Italy Apr 19, 2009

Augustiner brau in Salzburg. Far and away the best brewery experience I've ever had. http://www.augustinerbier.at/

Uerige in Dusseldorf aint half bad either.

3. Russian River. Large number of great beers on tap any time I have gone, really good food, nice atmosphere, etc.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  4. Went to London for my honeymoon and my wife and I did a tour of the Fuller's brewery. It was awesome, especially since the last half hour was pretty much try as much and whatever you want until the time is up. Then it was a pretty nice day so we took a walk along the Thames to a nearby tube station, with a stop along the way for lunch at a pub on the river.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  5. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Brewery Huyghe. It was just me, my brother, and my parents, and the tour started at 10:30 in the morning. The tour was lead by one of the brewers. He was giving us infinite drinks, and essentially got to try their whole line up of beers. Great to drink a great beer with the guy who brewed it.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  6. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

The Pilsener Urquell brewery in Pilsen, Czech Republic had the end-of-tour beer samples down in underground storage tunnels. The wooden cask samples were unpasteurized and unfiltered, without any added CO2 just like it would have been in the 1800's. Na zdravĂ­ (Cheers!)

7. Brewers Union Local 180, it's in the mountains between Eugene and Bend in a little town called Oakridge. They only brew and serve cask beers & have great food, I never knew what the phrase 'public house' meant until I went to this place, and I haven't experienced another place like it.

Kern River Brewing ain't too shabby for a weekend of camping and grabbing lunch and a growler fill at the pub either.

FriarTuckInLuck and KVNBGRY like this.
  8. bbauer10

bbauer10 Initiate (0) Kansas Nov 24, 2010

I second the Odell experience! I went with a friend to their small batch beer fest last memorial day. We ended up meeting some other guys from Kansas and got to hang with our market rep. Big shout out to John who hooked us up with a personal tour and time in the keg room to cool off from the heat! Other times there, we met Doug Odell and had a beer with him, he is just like an laid back uncle.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  9. AndrewSmith

AndrewSmith Savant (395) California Jan 27, 2013

Stone was pretty sweet, Russian River for sheer number of fantastic beers though. Heineken puts on a nice all around experience.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  10. Long Trail. If I am there, that means my wife and I have rented a cabin a few miles from there that we love. There's no heat, save for the fireplace and there is no electricity. Propane lanterns all around the house. It's dead silent, however there is a nice rippling river that runs through the property. It's a beautiful place that we have many wonderful memories at. On top of all of this, Long Trail is just down the road. Their beers have a special place in my heart and their stuff on tap is awesome. A 20oz. pour of their Pale Ale on a Saturday at 2:00 PM is a wonderful thing.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  11. Sierra Nevada. It's on the commute home... Get's pretty busy in that place though. Deschutes Portland Pubhouse, because that means I am on some adventure in the great Pacific Northwest...

KVNBGRY likes this.
  12. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I've only been to Michigan breweries as I've only left the state once since starting to like beer, and the bar we went to in PA only had standard stuff (this year I'll be smart and at least hit up liquor stores for things not distributed here when I leave the state this summer)!

But my top 3 in MI: Woodward Avenue Brewers- While the beer isn't exceptional, I'm partial to it since my bf and I had our first date there, it's affordable (and has half-off pints Sundays), has great outdoor seating and is biking distance from our house.

Dragonmead: Has a great in-house variety and I like that they allow outside food as their kitchen options are limited. Most places obviously don't allow that, so to me it proves that they stand by their beer enough to look past the loss on food.

Rochester Mills: A huge place with a great variety of beer and good food. The location is nice since my bf and I bring our bikes to ride the 2 nearby trails, and then stop there afterward for dinner and beers.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  13. Stone is an amazing brewery! great atmosphere, one of the best draft selections I've seen. food is amazing, ambiance the whole 9!

KVNBGRY likes this.
  14. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

Alesmith. It's close to my home, has fair prices for growler fills & I enjoy all their beers. They're a great brewery.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  15. I'll go with Wedge, in Asheville. My only regret is that we only spent an hour there.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  16. I have been to many breweries in the US and Europe. Sierra Nevada Beer Camp is head and shoulders above every thing else. But that was a special once in a lifetime experience.

17. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Stone Brewery was epic...

KVNBGRY likes this.
  18. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

For years it was Young's Ram Brewery in London. Here at home I would say North Coast and Anderson Valley. Right now I'm mad at NC because first they closed on Mon-Tue, my days off are Tue-Wed. Now their taproom and grill is closed for renovation. Have not been in months. I hear Lagunitas is fun now that they have a beer sanctuary. They are one of my favorite breweries for sure.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  19. I went in to Bull City Burger and Brewery in Durham, NC on a slightly busy night, and ordered their Doppelbock. I definitely got Bryant Bridge Golden instead, and tweeted that. Seth (the owner) told me to come in. I did, and he gave me a free flight and a tour with samples of everything coming. He took care of me, and I go back on a biweekly basis.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  20. I really dig Schlafly. Classy joint, great beer, wonderful atmosphere, and super friendly employees, many of which have been with the company for a decade or more. Also, they give really nice discounts to military/police/firemen.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  21. Goin der tonight! Pliny the Younger here I come! Mi-mi-miso excited.

22. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Savant (315) Illinois Jul 9, 2010

I'll tell you who sucks. Three Floyds. The beer is great (obviously), the food is good BUT they are elitist jagoffs who think they are better than you because they work at 3 Floyds. Aside from the server with the huge beard. I like him.

With that being said...I go there every chance I get.

23. I was studying in Ireland and I made some solid friendships over there. We would talk for hours at the Porterhouse Brewpub in Dublin. Not only did I make some great friendships over a pint, I was able to try multiple styles of beer for the first time which started my craft beer journey.

Fatheads in Pittsburgh because my wife loves it too and I love headhunter so it just freakin works.

FFF is my favorite all time brewery though. Amazing beer, fantastic food and a great atmosphere....did I mention there beer is freakin awesome.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  24. KVNBGRY

Doug is awesome. Laid back uncle is the perfect description!

25. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my experience at Russian River. Delicious bar food (the pliny bites my be simple, but they satisfy every bar food craving I could ever have) and a stupendous beer sampler. Of course its also nice to be able to buy a cases of PtE and Supplication.

Taking a trip to Denver soon and will check out several breweries there. Then I will be in VT over the summer and so I could possibly have a new favorite soon...

KVNBGRY likes this.
  26. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

Crooked Stave in Denver is great. Not only do they have great sours but the brewer will chat it up with you and even offer you beers from his private stash. It was cool to enjoy a Hopslam with him. Great Divide is cool as well. So are Revolution and Half Acre in Chicago.

KVNBGRY likes this.
  27. KVNBGRY

Make sure Great Divide is on the list in Denver. If you get the chance, I highly recommend heading about 1hr north to Fort Collins. New Belgium, Odell, Funkwerks, Equinox, among a handful of others! You'll pass Oskar Blues on the way..

TychoNDC and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  28. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

Pacifico in Matzatlan, Mexico I know it's a macro brew but damn that was a good time 4 days in Mexico paid for by Pacifico and they treated us like kings for the four days I don't think I didn't have a beer in my hand for for those 96 hours!!! Thank you again Pacifico!!

KVNBGRY likes this.
  29. rynosf23

rynosf23 Aficionado (120) Florida Feb 5, 2013

Pegs Cantina (AKA Cycle Brewing). Great place that started out as just a restaurant. Very chill place. Family run with great beer! Love to hear customers honest opinions on their beer. They dont bottle their beer, so you have to visit to try their deliciousness. Cheers!

KVNBGRY likes this.
  30. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions! Great Divide is #1 on my list due to several other friends recommendations so I'm gonna be sure to check it out. I was hoping to also hit up Strange and Crooked Stave for something different. Sadly, I am unsure if I'll be able to make it up to Fort Collins. Only in town for a few days for a conference and I'll have limited time!

KVNBGRY likes this.
  31. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

Go to Vine Street as well. Mountain Sun makes some great beers that you can't find anywhere else. Their XXX IPA is perfect.

KVNBGRY and TychoNDC like this.
  32. Lost Abbey. I love the atmosphere

33. Cantillon. No close second to that one for me.

34. KVNBGRY

Do you live in Jacksonville? I like your avatar! Go Jags!

35. KVNBGRY

http://fallingrocktaphouse.com/beer/ since you can't make it to FoCo, this place is a must.

TychoNDC and seakayak like this.
  36. I really enjoyed the tour we took at Anchor, in SF. It is a very unique brewery and it included a free tasting.

37. blue point. up until recently, it was unlimited tastings for free (not its only $1 per tasting, unlimited). there is a nice outside area to hang out at and its within walking distance from a great beer bar called bobbiques and the LIRR.

38. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Stone is always pretty enjoyable to go to. I recently got the chance to visit Angel City in LA, they may not be completely done with the place, but I love their location. I really enjoyed the vibe I got and being able to go on the roof and having an epic view of downtown LA sure didn't hurt either.

39. rynosf23

rynosf23 Aficionado (120) Florida Feb 5, 2013

I actually live in Fort Myers area. Die hard Jags and Gators fan!

40. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Can't beat that landscape (Salzburg), that's for sure!