Favorite Brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jacurdy60, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Check the avatar... That doesn't mean I think Greenbush is the best brewery (yet), but they are my favorite none the less.

2. Hill farmstead certainly has a special place in my heart if only they would distro Edward. For stuff that doesn't require a pilgrimage to get it would have to be Cigar City or Founders. CCB for Jai Alai and Invasion IPA, Founders for Breakfast Stout. Honorable Mention to Goose Island for BCBS and BCBCS (I would drink them everyday but I value my lack of diabetes).

3. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

North Coast is one of my favorites as well but they have done a huge wrong. Closing on Monday and Tuesday since Sept. With my usual days off I can't make it. No likey! Also they have closed the taproom for renovation and can't really tell anyone when they are to reopen.

Dtapeski likes this.
  4. Lagunitas. Great beer, great price.

5. Pecan

Pecan Savant (445) California Dec 20, 2012

Have to give the nod to Three Floyds still. Although Ayinger and the Bruery are very very close behind, with the Bruery gaining ground.

6. Sierra Nevada.

7. Maine Beer Co is on their way to becoming mine.
    World class IPA: Lunch
    Excellent Amber: Zoe
    Excellent Pale: Peeper
    Very Good Porter: King Titus
    They just need a top notch Stout. Mean Old Tom doesn't do it for me.

8. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Surly and Founders.

Mercury4040 likes this.
  9. I have a tie between Russian River and Cigar City. Unfortunately, I think they both might be equal distance away from me.

spinedocschabel likes this.
  10. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I'm in the Bell's camp too. They have perfect year round beer and even better seasonal/special releases.

11. This is an easy one for me......de Struise!

[​IMG]

12. Inglewood

Inglewood Savant (405) Illinois Jan 28, 2013

Bells& 3 Floyds 4 me

Pecan likes this.
  13. Can't narrow it down to just one...
    Troegs cuz I can practically walk there, troegenator got me into craft, and I love most of their beers.
    Victory cuz they make great stuff and catered my wedding like a boss
    Sierra Nevada cuz they don't make a single beer I don't like (that I've tried anyway)

CTJman likes this.
  14. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

in really no particular order, but certainly the winning triumvirate:

Founders
    Bell's
    Lagunitas

Mercury4040 and BottleCaps80 like this.
  15. Hoppy Birthday
    Duet
    Nelson
    Pure Hop
    Bad Boy
    Expo

Need I say more...

SirBentham likes this.
  16. Brewery Ommegang.

Founders.
    Cigar City.
    Great Lakes.

17. Russian River.

Mercury4040 likes this.
  18. Stone (Hence the name), w/ Alesmith as a close 2nd (expecting good things in the coming years).

19. Unibroue or Smutty

seakayak likes this.
  20. Hill Farmstead is my favorite. I like many others which include bells, lagunitas, founders, stone, firestone walker, 3 floyds, the alchemist, lawsons finest liquors. Hill Farmstead in my opinion is by far the best. Every beer he brews is great. I've tried a lot of what he brews and have not had a bad one yet. As a matter of fact they have all been in my top 10% of my best beers tasted. He is anal when it comes to his beers and the fact that you can't get them except in vermont makes it even more intriguing. I travel 5 hours every couple of months just to get a taste of greatness. I just got back this weekend from there and waited 2 hours in a line at his brew barn just to get some. i got home and i wasted disappointed one bit. If you ever get a chance to taste any beer from Hill Farmstead i suggest you do so at all costs. They will not disappoint.

Number45forever likes this.
  21. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

Founders
    Jolly Pumpkin
    Odd Side Ales

22. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Lost Abbey
    Russian River
    Founders
    Surly
    Cigar City

23. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

Lagunitas, haven't had a bad beer from there and most are exceptional! Sumpin Sumpin, Sucks, Hop Stoopid FTW!

24. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (330) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

Dark Horse and Deschutes

25. Firestone Walker has to be the one for me.

Abacus
    Parabola
    Double Jack
    Velvet Merlin and Merkin
    Union Jack
    Wookey Jack
    The Anny Blends
    and now they are starting to play with wild yeast and bugs! I can't wait for the barrel works stuff to start surfacing.

darkmoon66 likes this.
  26. Tough question, as there are a lot of good breweries right now.

For price, availability variety and locale, Boulevard really can't be beat in my eyes. Living in KC I can get anything they release and they continue to impress with their new releases. Their "catalog" has some beers that I'm not wild about, but no bad ones. Plus the Smokestack Series is outstanding. Tank 7, Grainstorm, Dark Truth, Long Strange Tripel and others are excellent.

That being said, there are a couple of breweries from which I have yet to taste a beer I don't like:

Deschutes - It helps that they distribute pretty much all of their core beers and seasonals to Kansas City, so I have been able to try a lot of their beer and liked it. They have possibly my favorite porter in Black Butte, and a really excellent pale ale in the Red Chair NWPA.

Green Flash - I'm currently obsessed with the Orval-inspired Rayon Vert, but focusing on that beer doesn't do them justice. I think their West Coast IPA is excellent, as are Le Freak and Palate Wrecker. Hop Head Red is a pretty interesting beer as well. This is another brewery that distributes their core bottles to Kansas City, allowing me to try a bunch of them.

Honorable mention to Ommegang and Stone. I've liked what I've had from both, but haven't had near enough.

Hill Farmstead is probably at the top of my "to try" list...

beerserks likes this.
  27. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

50 posts before anyone said Russian River? Color me surprised. Not saying its my favorite, I havent had enough to say that.

Personally, I'd go with Weihenstephaner. They have pedigree, their entire line is world class, and I can get a bomber for less than $4 of the world's best Dunkelweizen at almost any decent bottle shop. Its less than $3 if you know where to look. I've shifted my palate away from wheat beers recently, but I still love me some steph dunkel.
    Honorable mentions: Goose, Founders, Bell's, New Glarus, Avery, Ommegang.

28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

New Glarus, FFF

29. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

Can't have just one. Sierra Nevada, Stone, Deschutes, Ballast Point, and Lagunitas are my favorites. If it absolutely had to be one favorite, it would be Sierra Nevada.

30. Ommegang, Yards, Sierra Nevada

31. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

1st: Southern tier all the way. They never cease to get the better of me, and I can think of nothing they make that is not delicious.
    (NOTE: I am really suprised that Im the only one so far to even list ST..........Odd)

2ed: Bells. I don't like EVERYTHING they make, but more often than not their brews occupy the "fantastic" range

Runners up: Founders, Laginitias, Great Divide, and weyerbacher

32. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

New England Brewing Company. Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Gandhi Bot, 668 Neighbor of the Beast, Imperial Stout Trooper, Plus all their Small batch stuff. Glad to be 10 minutes away from the source. plus all their beer names are creative.

33. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I love Victory now bc you just quoted them w. Andy sandberg and the lonely island. Like a boss!

34. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Russian River. It's hard for them not be living only an hour away

35. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

1. Three Floyds
    2. Fat Heads (every beer they make is awesome, I have yet to taste a "miss")
    3. Kuhnhenn

36. johnyb

johnyb Advocate (575) Florida Aug 11, 2012

Homer pick, CCB

37. Firestone Walker... but Pipeworks is moving up the board pretty fast.

38. Beerd_O

Beerd_O Disciple (50) Michigan Feb 6, 2013

Founders! It's halfway between my house and my office....