1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jacurdy60, Feb 26, 2013.

1. New Glarus and Founders
  2. adkrogue

adkrogue Aficionado (180) New York Jan 16, 2012

Firestone, Founders, Lagunitas are top 3. Ballast Point is moving up the list. Russian River and Hill Farmstead in the "Chicks that wouldn't ever speak to me" category (i.e. Can't ever get any). Locals if you're in downstate NY or Central NY are Peekskill, Rushing Duck, and Middle Ages.
  3. Stone leading it and Founders in second. There's a lot of Northwest breweries I haven't gotten a chance to try yet, but these two make so many beers that are my favorites of the style, it makes it tough to have money to try others.
  4. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Surly
    Southern Tier
    Cantillon
  5. Reedrick02

Reedrick02 Initiate (15) Feb 27, 2013

Practically impossible to say favorite......

Lagunitas- best price and availability for the quality
    The Alchemist - best ipa (possibly beer: have to have fresh!) I've ever had. (been lucky enough to have some great ones like Pliny, mongo, sweetwater and abner)
    The Lost Abby - best age able brews
    Dogfish head for so many complex beers
    Ale smith is ridiculous
    Hardywood- bourbon barrel ginger bread stout and bourbon cru
    I could name several others. Did I already say practically impossible to just say one! Ha
  6. daviddoughan

daviddoughan Aspirant (35) New York Dec 13, 2012

When I lived in NH/Boston I liked Smuttynose and Allagash. Always solid.
    Now in upstate NY . . .Founders.
    Still working on my favorite Saison, Oud Bruin, and Gueuze. . . . .maybe one brewery will do it all!
  7. Jonbw

Jonbw Savant (345) Mississippi Dec 19, 2012

Three Floyds, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada, North Coast
  8. I agree, love Boulevard. Their core line is unspectacular but I love Pale Ale & 80 Acre. The Smokestack Series beers are fantastic and Saison Brett, Love Child & Rye on Rye are all world class.
  9. fitrock2112

fitrock2112 Aficionado (210) Ohio Aug 28, 2012

The one and only Founders.
  10. No love for Duck-Rabbit yet? Well I suppose they don't do any Pales or Belgian styles, still I'll come out and say it, Duck-Rabbit for me. But I wouldn't knock anyone (of the many so far) for saying Founders, awesome.
  11. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

Maine Beer Co.
  12. Agree about the core line. I had actually gotten away from buying many of those until they released 80 Acre. I do enjoy the Single Wide IPA and Boss Tom's Golden Bock.

I almost forgot about Love Child. I think they were brewing #3 earlier in the month.
  13. I've had two Duck Rabbit beers--the milk stout and the amber ale--and was completely unimpressed by either. I don't know if I had some bad batches or what, because I've read some favorable things about the milk stout. I just didn't like them.

Maybe other beers in their line are better? Or perhaps I had some old, past-date bottles..
  14. Great Lakes.
    SomethingClever likes this.
  15. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Oskar Blues.... Every beer I have blows me away at how it satisfying and delicious they are, in all the styles. Good availability too.
    Hopheads gotta love Gknight, Gubna, & Deviant Dales.

16. Well I do know they had a bad infection issue within the last couple years, but that's not what it sounds like based on what you're saying. The Amber is by far my least favorite of their offerings it's just an amber, nothing more, nothing less and I'm not a huge milk stout fan, but I really like theirs. Their porter is probably one of the best I've had, if they distributed to my area, it'd be in my fridge all the time, and I've had it with 2+ years on it and it's held up fine. Yet to have anything in the higher gravity stuff I haven't loved.

Just may not be your cup of tea, nothing wrong with that. I was just surprised no mention of it yet when pushing 100 replies to the thread (same with Dark Horse) with people mentioning multiple breweries per reply. Everyone's taste is different I suppose, like I'm the only one of my group of friends who doesn't like Boulevard, been unimpressed with just about everything I've had, I just chalk it up as "not my thing." I wish I did sometimes, feel like the odd ball out in that one.
  17. Well, I got my hands on the two styles through a BotM club, so who knows how long they'd had those beers before shipping it out to me. It's funny, because when I opened up that month's offering, I was excited to see Duck Rabbit, as I've heard some good things, and I was under the impression that they do the whole "small batch" thing. I may have to see if I can get my hands on the porter you vouched for... getting it in KC may be difficult though.

Just out of curiosity, what Boulevard beers have you tried? I can totally seeing them having a vastly differentiated reputation, depending on what beers of theirs people have had.
  18. Today its Lagunitas. Got some Hoponius in the fridge so tomorrow it might be Jack's Abby. Big fan of Stone too.
  19. ejn22

ejn22 Disciple (70) New Jersey Jan 13, 2013

Sierra Nevada is my clear #1 -- some breweries have a higher ceiling, but I've never found another brewery that is as consistently excellent across their whole lineup.
  20. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

Lagunitas
    Founders
    Bell's

Solid, consistent, affordable
  21. This is crazy. There are way to many great breweries out there to possibly narrow it down to a Top 5. Many of them produce beers of equal quality overall. And I'm sure most of you here have tried 100+ different breweries.
  22. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

Three Floyd's and Founders
    Great Divide and Avery's
  23. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

Alesmith, Alpine, Anderson Valley.

Triple AAA
  24. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

That brewery in Greensboro, Vermont. :rolleyes:
  25. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Kuhnhenn
    Founders
    Three Floyds

26. Yeah, I would think the Amber wouldn't have a ton of shelf life and I've aged the Milk Stout before and had both good and bad results. As great as the porter is, don't seek it out by itself, if you've had Founders and Edmund Fitzgerald you probably won't be blown away, but it's on par with them at least in my opinion. If you're doing a trade with someone who get's them distributed it might be a good extra or ask for a few, something to that effect.

I haven't had everything from Boulevard, but a fair amount. I've had: Double wide, Single wide, Tank 7, 6th glass, Chocolate Ale, Saison Brett, Rye on Rye, Dark Truth, and last week had Oak aged porter (I'm guessing Bully) on nitro-draft is what I can remember off the top of my head. Of all of the one's I've tried I actually liked the porter a lot and would drink it again any day, other than that I liked the chocolate ale because it was an interesting idea, I was very underwhelmed with everything else. But then again I'm not a big fan of Belgian styles which is something they seem to excel at based on what I hear from others. To each their own I guess.
  27. Boulevard brewing. The Smokestack Series is just fantastic. many different styles done wonderfully well.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Odell, Avery, Great divide are all breweries that I will try anything from. I am also going to throw New Belgium out there for their LoF series. But for favorite? Odell.
    denver10 likes this.
  29. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (525) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

Great Lakes have to go with the brewery you Cut your teeth on and for me that is Great Lakes. First from BMC had a Christmas ale which I disliked immensely but was intrigued. Then had Dortmunder and then Elliot Ness loved that after that just a cascade of love for their beers, and to this day still like their beers against anything, probably because I started with them.

that being said those monks at rochefort make me think about taking my vows
  30. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Three Floyds
  31. jhhollier

jhhollier Savant (275) Louisiana Feb 4, 2008

Sierra Nevada, easily. I could only drink SN beers and be satisfied. My only wish would be for Hoptimum to be a year round rather than seasonal.

Stone, Ommegang, Unibroue, Weihenstephaner, Dogfish Head are honorable mentions
  32. millercheg

millercheg Disciple (60) Wisconsin Apr 10, 2012

Dogfish Head!
  33. I travel a lot so here is one that is quite nice as you would not expect it in Salt lake City.
    Squatters Pub In Salt Lake City right down town very nice beer quite nice athmosphere.
  34. Sierra Nevada

Torpedo is cheaper than most and better than most
    SNPA is on tap in places that are otherwise craft deserts
    Their porter and stout are solid
    Celebration is one of my more anticipated seasonals
    Glissade, when I could get it, was one of my all time favorite beers
    I am in love with Summerfest
    Hoptimum can compete with the big boys (maybe not win, but compete)
    Fritz and Ken 30th Anniversary (RIP) was one of my all time favorite RISs
    Ovila series is excellent
    Bigfoot is one of the only Barleywines that I like
    Kellerweis is a great session brew

Most importantly, they see "craft beer" as more than just what's in the bottle.....
    jgluck and Whimpers like this.
  35. Victory is my personal favorite brewery

Bells is my choice for best american brewery
  36. KevinK441

KevinK441 Aficionado (130) Virginia Feb 28, 2013

Great Lakes
    Sierra Nevada
    New Belgium - love the Ranger IPA
    Saint Arnolds (Houston, TX)
    Lagunitas
    Victory -Hopdevil is just delicious
  37. Slay40

Slay40 Savant (495) Michigan Feb 22, 2013

Shorts brewery is by far my favorite brewery. Nobody makes as many great beers as Shorts. Life is Shorts, drink it while your here.
  38. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Goose Island: even mild winter is pretty darn good. Sofie; BCBS and variants; KH; etc. have all been quite good to amazing.
    Cigar City: they make some amazing stuff, and even their year-round beers are killer (Jai Alai, Maduro, Tocabaga).
    Funky Buddha: when I'm visiting the family and get a chance to drop in, they rarely disappoint, and I haven't even had many of their heavier hiters.
  39. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

40. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (555) Texas Jun 29, 2011

After visiting the schoolhouse it is no question that De Struise is my favorite and Urbain is the nicest dude ever. If only I could get their beers in my state.