1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite German Hefe-Weiss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlexanderSelby, Jan 20, 2013.

1. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

I think if you look at the winners every year of the World Beer Cup and the European Beer Star, none of these companies make the list except for Schneider Weisse.

2. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

So that leaves us deadlocked until we can "prove" whose taste buds and memory are better. ;)

People have brought up the same argument with Spaten's Helles, but I still get great malt character from that beer -- far better than many pretenders out there.

3. steveh

Maybe, but the question is, how many of them export around the world where we can all enjoy them?

4. boddhitree

You'd win that one because I only remember what I believe I remember, which every girlfriend/wife I've ever had told me was wrong.

steveh likes this.
  5. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Ah, decisions, decisions. Die Qual der Wahl you might say. Having spent considerable time in Germany, Bavaria especially it is hard to choose. Ayinger's is well crafted, with subtle flavor. Franziskaner is very banana like but rounded out with clove and yeast flavors. Weihenstephaner, while actually known more for their bread and butter products than beer is extraordinary. Hacker-Pschoor is quite good as well. You can't lose.

Overall, I think I would say I prefer Franziskaner. The flavors are more complex, with banana, fresh bread, yeast, and clove is my choice. But again, you can't lose.

6. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Weihenstephaner
    Ayinger

7. Weizenbock part of this as well?
    In that case my vote goes to Weihenstephaner Vitus.
    If not, just ignore this message.

Wetpaperbag likes this.
  8. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Savant (265) Maryland Dec 9, 2006

Been loving Franzi for a looong time, long enough that when I started drinking it we called it 'Hanz and Franz inkiner' after the muscle man skit on SNL - how long since that skit came out? 25+ years ?

After 25 years of smacking my lips virtually every time I quaffed it, over the last few years every time I try it, my reaction is meh, it's ok, nothing beyond ordinary. Possibly my taste buds have changed, but I doubt it, InBev has a long history of monkeying with their brews, they even changed Bud! Using beechwood mulch instead of chips to save money. There's well documented reports of them changing Hogaarten, Celebrator etc etc - nothing's out of play for their portfolio of beers when it comes to saving money.

boddhitree likes this.
  9. steveh

So basically, same answer as me and Bodd. Again, until there's proof, I can't help but call out anyone throwing out "recipe change" claims.

10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner.

11. LostHighway

LostHighway Savant (345) Maine Jan 29, 2007

Weihenstephaner or Schneider Weisse

I also used to drink Kapuzinger semi-regularly until they went to the swing top bottles and raised the price.

digita7693 likes this.
  12. I think Live Oak makes a Hefe that makes that staement , not so obvious

13. Maisel's. Hefe or no hefe.

14. Well we know that Optimator changed (for the better imo - richer/darker) around the same time as the packaging changes since the abv changed from 7.2% to 7.6%. It is listed here in the database as 7.6%, but the bros. and other past reviews state 7.2%. IMO, lends credence that they possibly could have done the same with the hefeweizen - I didn't drink enough of it in the past to judge a change in flavor like Optimator.

15. steveh

We all know? Someone from the brewery contact us? .4% could have been a calculation mistake, not necessarily a recipe change -- it's minimal.

*The other thing I just thought about -- I don't think Spaten started marking ABV on their labels until this new marketing change. Makes me think any "info" previously was a stab in the dark.

**Heh -- and the Spaten web site has Optimator at 7.5 -- stabbing at the final gravity? Probably.

As mentioned above, I was able to get the new and old label Franziskaner and drink them side-by-side (I even posted about it back then) -- only difference I may have been able to discern was a freshness issue -- which would make some sense with the newer labeled beer.

Once again, I remain skeptical until I see solid evidence... from the brewery, that is.

16. If I can obtain them fresh I really enjoy some German brewed Hefeweizen beers: Weihenstephan, Ayinger, ….

There are a number of very good American craft brewed Hefeweizens:

A number of very good US craft brewed Hefeweizen beers have been mentioned (e.g., Live Oak, Sierra Nevada, etc.). Below is a list of some of the other quality US craft brewed Hefeweizen beers that I posted in another thread:

And:

· Troegs DreamWeaver Wheat (2012 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Stoudt’s Heifer-in-Wheat (2010 GABF Gold Medal winner)
    · Sly Fox Royal Weiss
    · Victory Sunrise Weiss
    · Etc.

Cheers!

17. fsimcox

fsimcox Savant (280) California Sep 1, 2006

I really enjoyed König Ludwig Weissbier, and Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier. Can't go wrong with Weihenstephaner, and I took a liking to Valentins Weissbier from Park. I always seemed to drink Hacker-Pschorr when in Garmisch. Never seemed to take a liking to Maisel's? But my go to hefe is without a doubt Franziskaner!

18. steveh

Correcting myself -- found some old Optimator labels and I see they have the 7.2% ABV on them.

19. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Savant (425) Washington Aug 14, 2007

Weihenstephaner's Hefe.
    But if I was going to pick something that was a better wheat beer, in this case a weizenbock, I would have to go with Weihenstephaner's Vitus. Tastes, looks, and smells just like their Hefe, only better.

20. Weihenstephaner.

21. ON TAP! I feel like all weiss and witt biers need to be on tap and as fresh as possible to be sublime!

acevenom likes this.
  22. NG Laughing Fox is quite good also, though actually a kristalweizen.

23. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I love Ayinger and Franziskaner. These get a lot of publicity. But what doesn't get acknowledgement are Erdinger Hefeweizen and Erdinger Ur-Weisse. Great beers. Please try them.

24. Laughing Fox is quite tasty, but Dancing Man is miles better IMHO

25. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I always had some Kapuziner at home over the past 8 years, delicious.
    other favorites are Maisels and Weihenstephaner

26. boddhitree

Sorry to tell you this, but traditionally, Hefeweizens are always served directly from the bottle; otherwise, you wouldn't get the Hefe in the Hefeweizen. If you get it from a tap, you loose the part that makes the beer style what it is. Have you ever seen how they do it at German brewers? They roll the bottle gently back and forth to mix up the Hefe within the beer. This would never work on-tap. In fact, it would taste really crappy, IMO.

A regular Weißbier or a Belgian Wittbier can be served on tap because it doesn't rely on the residual bottle-fermented yeast on the bottom of the bottle for it's taste.

27. steveh

I've had Hefeweizen vom Faß both in Germany and here in the States and it's always had the suspended Hefe -- never understood how they worked it out, but they did.

Can't imagine what the last glass-full from the keg is like! :eek:

28. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

kojevergas said:
    I love Ayinger and Franziskaner. These get a lot of publicity. But what doesn't get acknowledgement are Erdinger Hefeweizen and Erdinger Ur-Weisse. Great beers. Please try them.​

Um. Okay?

29. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner.

30. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

For me it comes down to whether I want a really fruit-focused one, or one that’s a bit creamier/spicier. For fruity ones, the Weihenstephaner and Kloster Andechs versions are my faves. The ultra-common Hofbrau and Paulaner ones are fine, too.
    For the creamier, I love the one from Mahr’s.
    Schneider makes just about every type of weiss you can imagine and they’re all pretty good. Not really my cup of tea, palate-wise, but I know some people that swear theirs are far and away the best. They tend to be spicier.

31. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Live Oak Hefe is delicious. They need to can/bottle that bad boy!

phishbone23 likes this.
  32. phishbone23

phishbone23 Savant (250) New York Dec 14, 2012

Weihenstephaner if germans only. If including world, Live Oak is all-time fave tho!

33. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Savant (355) Italy Apr 19, 2009

Kapuziner
    Weihenstephaner
    Ayinger Ur-Weisse
    or there's always the classic Paulaner Weisse which is ubiquitous and extremely cheap in these parts.