1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Golf course cooler

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by DCgolfpro, Feb 11, 2013.

1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (450) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

As you may be able to tell by my handle, I spend a great deal of time on the golf course. When I'm playing the occasional casual round, I usually bring the beer. Golf courses frown upon BYOB for obvious reasons. So, I'm here to find your go to inconspicuous golf course coolers.
    Thank you

Hermthegerm likes this.
  2. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Flask taped to the inside of my thigh. Nothing like painful ripping out hundreds of tender leg hairs to get a nice swig of some Macallan 18 :)

Lucidious and Benny3000 like this.
  3. I usually just use my golf bag. zipper pouch small bag with some ice packs in one of the larger golf pockets

EDIT: and for morning golf, travel mug with a good coffee stout!

4. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I have a gold bag that has a build in cold pouch with a drain and everything. it has that shiny metal lining, Keeps both the beer and the gatorade cold. Thank you Taylor Made

MyIronLung likes this.
  5. I have a soft cooler that holds a 6pk of cans stacked vertically and attaches to my golf bag. My local course that I play frequently does not frown upon beers on the course as long as you don't abuse the course rules. Usually I bring Dales Pale Ale or Heady Topper. Baxter IPA has been known to play 18 holes as well.

6. trash bag... wrap it on the inside of the basket behind your seat. Ice, Beers, perfection. Easy access while driving(Safe)... and you can usually fit 8-12 beers depending on the sizing and bottle/can option.

Davepoolesque likes this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

[​IMG]

Something like this. Holds 9 beers and an ice pack and is designed to fit in the shoe compartment of your bag. When I golfed a lot this thing pays for itself.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  8. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I don't golf, so I have nothing to contribute to this thread.

ckobes and luisfrancisco like this.
  9. DCgolfpro

Looking for something a little less messy.......and significantly less ghetto.

Nectar and Treyliff like this.
  10. DCgolfpro

Except for this gem. And we thank you

Wolfpack2005, jglowe77 and Bsak1985 like this.
  11. DCgolfpro

Thank you! Who's the maker of this one?

12. DCgolfpro

On a side note, I'm always fascinated by the use of "golf" as a verb. For some reason I've never gotten a phone call from someone saying, "Want to go basketball?" Or, "Up for some tennising?"

mudbug and 4kbrianb like this.
  13. ghetto maybe... but if you have two bags strapped in, nobody will see but you and your buddy. Plus it is free. Water from melted ice gets dumped out the same way whether it is a soft ice chest or a bag, its an efficient way to stock enough beers for 18 holes.

14. DCgolfpro

I appreciate what you're saying and this has been my method in the past. But when I'm a guest at a friends club, I'd rather not risk being seen by one of his employees with a trashbag full of beer in the back of the cart.

arniepnminne and Dtapeski like this.
  15. Ok that I defintely get. When I was younger I worked at a private club... needless to say I had to remind my friends how to act on the course when I brought them for a free round. We were chugging coors light so we would just line each pocket on our bags with as many cans as possible.... but that pack fredmugs mentioned seems like the perfect option if you wanna keep it low pro.

I will look around, because I am blanking right now. But there was a company that made a ice chest that fit perfectly within that back basket. I think it could hold 10 beers? But it was designed strictly for that compartment.

16. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (410) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

Depends on if you carry or ride. When I know I will have a cart, I bring a small softside cooler and stash it in the basket in the back of the cart. If the course is going to check for coolers, I stash it down in between the two sets of clubs (the bags cover it well) until I am off the first tee, and then I move it to the basket in the cart and cover it with a shirt or something. Callaway makes a pretty sweet golf bag with a built in cooler that holds about a 12 pack too.

17. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (410) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

18. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

The courses around here do not care if you byob. I take a regular cooler and put it in the back basket. I have used a small lunch bag before just to bring a 6pk for myself. Enough room for a 6pk of cans with an ice pack in the middle.

[​IMG]

19. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

But you did....

20. If I had to hide the beverage I used to have a sleeve that fit in the bag like a club which probably held 9 cans or 7 bottles. When the club is out of Ruination, Self Righteous, Arrogant Bastard or Two Hearted Ale, I bring a cooler I have taken home from the club in the past and fill with ice and beer from my fridge. Thankfully, my club will stock craft beers I request, to a certain point and charge me $1 cork fee per beer I bring from home. It's kind of funny watching some of the Stella drinkers eying my beers when in the locker room after a round. Also surprised by how many old farts now drink Ruination at the club. We have Men's Day on Thursday's and I bring 4-6 bombers to share periodically to open their eyes to what is available. I opened a King Henry, MoaS '11, Sucaba '11, and Juliet for a bunch of guys. You should have seen their faces after the first sip of each, priceless. 90% of the guys loved them!

21. Bring a drinking buddy who doesn't play golf. Pack his "fake" bag with beers. Downside is cost of two green's fees but you drink all day with a friend AND get to hit twice in your foursome.

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  23. Golf sucks. Now that that's out of the way, my suggestion is to buy an insulated lunch bag (something like this perhaps: http://www.amazon.com/Shop123go-Cooler-Insulated-Lunch-Bag-Red/dp/B002NJ5DDA ) and stuff it into one of the pouches in your golf bag. I'm not sure how big those pouches are, but I am sure you could find a lunch bag of similar size. Toss a little ice in and then your brews and you're good.

24. The cooler pouch in my bag is key, but I never have trouble bringing a small, soft cooler in on the cart. It's usually inconspicuous enough on a cart with two big golf bags.

I like the idea of the travel mug full of coffee stout, though.

25. I have 2 very old school coolers handed down from my father for this exact problem. They are long sleeves that go down into the golf bag and will hold 6 cans each. In the winter I fill them with Ten Fidy or Back in Black. Summer, Hell or High Watetmelon or Modus Hoperandi.

26. OTB

OTB Savant (355) California Sep 2, 2011

I love golf,everything about it, heading to the Northern Trust with the wife this weekend, we love the west coast swing and hit as many tournaments as possible, BUT.......I cannot drink beer while playing golf, or any booze for that matter, go figure.

Cheers......

27. ercjr1101

ercjr1101 Zealot (75) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Does anyone remember Caddy Shack? I believe he had a tap in his.

28. I have a huge Grolsch cooler that my friend tried throwing away in 2005 that I said I'd disperse of.

Been to 100s of concerts with us, as well as dozens of rounds of golf. Never had a problem, and it's pretty obvious looking.

29. This is the cooler I use on the course:
    [​IMG]

You say you work in the industry. How about some respect for the course?

MyIronLung and CurtFromHershey like this.