1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite movie scenes involving beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 13, 2013.

1. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Big Bang Theory showed Raj drinking a SNPA tonight.

2. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I love that Buttermaker is drinking a different brand of beer almost every time you see him in the first half of the movie.

Dools9 likes this.
  3. Yeah, one of my favorite parts, too. Meant to write them down last time I watched it (only a little while ago, it was on some sports channel with what's-his-name* introducing it with a long interview with Tatum O'Neal). I was a little disappointed that they were all national brands (Bud, Miller, Schlitz, Pabst) all with breweries in Calif. at the time, other than Coors (which was #1 in the state at the time) Was Oly in it? They were big in CA at the time, too.

I lived in LA when they made the film and there were still a lot of local brands around besides Lucky - some brewed by the nationals (Pabst was still brewing Eastside, Old Tap and Burgie! in LA) but Lucky/General was still brewing dozens of them - Brew 101, Regal Select - mostly as supermarket brands. Even Acme (from Blitz-Weinhard) and Rainier could be found if you looked around.

IIRC, the remake with Billy Bob Thorton went PC and deleted the Bears drinking finale? WTF? "That's my favorite part!"

EDIT *Bob Costas​

4. The greatest movie scene of all time:

"Sonny's Bar Scene" from A Bronx Tale

Falcone and VaTechPhilly like this.
  5. Capt. Quint crushing a Narragansett in Jaws is a classic scene.

Jeffreysan and seakayak like this.
  6. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

7. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

I didn't even bother with the new one. The original's a masterpiece. I knew the ending, which is why it's one of the great all-time sports movies, would be whitewashed. I just looked it up and they apparently go out of their way to say it's NA beer in the remake??? Puke! I'm almost positive he drinks Olympia at some point, but I'm only finding Coors and Bud in Google Image Searches. It's on Netflix instant, BTW. Anyone who hasn't seen it or watched in a long time should check it out.

8. Love that movie, Shaun of the Dead is great too.

9. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Two oat sodas, Gary.

10. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Michael Richards won an Emmy for this. :)

11. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

Isabella Rossellini's beer filled glass prosthetic legs in The Saddest Music in the World:

12. From the episode "The Girl who was Death"

13. Maybe not my favorite bar scene, but...

Snowdog likes this.
  14. pchop77

pchop77 Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

Not a movie scene per se, but in keeping with the David Lynch/PBR connection here's a great short by Philly's "Secret Pants" sketch comedy group that pays tribute to both.

NardiByNature likes this.
  15. mattdbh

mattdbh Savant (275) California Feb 21, 2009

16. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

Deservedly so.

17. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

man lots of good movies.

a few didnt show up on my comp correctly so im not sure this was already posted

must be abrasive

18. HighWine

HighWine Savant (325) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Coincidentally this is my favorite movie involving a cigarette being removed from a woman's mouth with a bull whip while a TV show theme song is playing.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  19. Surprised I haven't seen Happy Gilmore posted yet

Beer-A-Lot likes this.
  20. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

lots of good ones on here ... i've always liked the Bad News Bears beer bucket. Buttermaker is awesome.

But I have the scene from Django Unchained in my head -- the early one in which Christoph Walz pours himself and Django a couple of beers and scrapes off the overflowing heads with a wooden spatula thingy.

regularjohn likes this.
  21. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

That's funny Premo, that is exactly the scene that inspired this thread. I was watching Django and just loved how Tarantino shot that scene.

Premo88 likes this.
  22. The "spatula thingy" was called a foam scraper or beer comb in the US. Usually made of celluloid and later of cheaper plastics. Urban legend has it that they were outlawed for sanitary reasons.

[​IMG]

Premo88 likes this.
  23. Premo88

Sweet ... thanks for the info!

Qwest_35: You can't miss it, of course, because Walz is so deliberate (and Tarantino's shooting/editing is so deliberate) that you sit back and smile as this guy pours out a couple of beers.

And I would've stuck my face in all that beer foam and inhaled ...

24. Premo88

DAMN I'm thirsty now!!!

25. danmcg62

danmcg62 Savant (400) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2006

This is all I think of when I see PBR. Pabst! Blue! Ribbon!

26. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 21, 2011

A cool clip from a 1991 film, "Simple Men". I know, it's not about the beer, but I like it. It shouldn't be difficult to figure why.....

27. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

been a big movie nut in my life... hard to look these up but this one came to mind..

I AM DARK AND MYSTERIOUS AND PISSED OFF!!

MattyG85 and VaTechPhilly like this.
  28. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (310) New York Oct 28, 2010

agreed

29. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (310) New York Oct 28, 2010

I couldn't find the video but the scene in POINT BREAK around the campfire was the best and maybe one of the best scenes out there.

"You want the ultimate you gotta be willing to pay the ultimate price"
    "It's not tragic to die doing what you love"

30. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but the recent talk of Miller High Life reminded me of a scene of one of my favorite all time films:

Do The Right Thing - Da Mayor wants Miller High Life

Having revisited this much later now, I am now floored to see Brooklyn Lager in the display case!

31. S/He's just putting that Virginia Tech education to work.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  32. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (360) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

This is the one I had in mind.

33. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Blame Todd for this...his recent Jaws post reminded me of this scene and I remembered this thread, so resurrection engaged.

Yeah, not so good that it is Miller Gen-you-whine Draft, but the facial expressions are priceless.

This movie also has one of the best lines (if a bit on the sexist side) when Figs says "You know, I can't think of nothing finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun. You know you're just all kinds of fine, don't you?"

34. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

35. that part in beerfest where theyre drinking beer. that's my favorite part

36. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

they are drinking BMC...

jRocco2021 and Snowdog like this.
  37. Seth Rogan was drinking Stone IPA in This Is The End.

38. I used to try to convince my "Film Studies" class that The Deer Hunter wasn't about Vietnam at all, but was simply a metaphor for the then-current "Beer Wars" and the death of the local and regional breweries at the hands of the national brands. The "good guys" drank Rolling Rock and Iron City, while the Viet Cong drank Miller. I mean, c'mon, how obvious can you get?

I forgot what grade I got in that class now.:eek:

kemoarps and zid like this.
  39. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Stooges:

LeRose and kemoarps like this.