1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Quad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LOCAL, Jan 25, 2013.

1. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

I've had my fair share of quads, but only recently had Rochefort 10. I was blown away by it's flavor and complexity. So I ask you BA, what are your favorite quads? ...both whale and easy to get.

2. That one is actually my favorite. St Bernardus Abt 12 is great as is Westy 12. But Rochefort 10 is my fav.

PABSTMASTER likes this.
  3. Rochefort 10 definitely. St.Bernardus 12 doesn't even come close in my opinion. Leviathan's Quad is actually pretty good as well.

4. Besides the big hitters mentioned above Allagash Four is prob mine.

DarthGuitarHero likes this.
  5. cspinoso

cspinoso Disciple (50) New York Feb 10, 2012

St. Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10, Chimay Blue, Ommegang Three Philosophers. What a line up!

6. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Westy XII FTW

Stockfan42 likes this.
  7. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The usual Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus Abt. 12, Westy 12 and Chimay GR. I will add Boulevards The Sixth Glass as well.

Mgm54, Danielbt and rfbenavi80 like this.
  8. Chimay blue or Westy 12

9. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Hardywood Park Bourbon Quad. Hands down. That stuff is friggin delicious.

rfbenavi80 likes this.
  10. danwho

danwho Savant (405) California Feb 18, 2010

Hardywood makes some good shit.

ao125 likes this.
  11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

12. St. Bernardus Abt 12 and La Trappe.

13. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Honestly, I'm in love with Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt. 12. But (thanks to a good fellow) I received a Westy 12 today, so I will report back next week!

I was surprised by Three Philosophers. It was different when compared to the heavy Trappist or Monk Quads. The flavors were layered differently and it unfolded into something beautiful.

The Quad is an old friend that I like to visit often. The first Belgian I ever tried was a Rochefort 10. I had to set it down and look at it because I couldn't believe my tastebuds. I usually keep a dozen bottles in the cellar and pull one out every few weeks

14. New England Brewing Friars' Quad has really come into its own lately. It went from being merely a solid American take on the style to a serious contender for the best Quad I've ever tasted. It reminds me a lot of Rochefort 10, actually. Amazing beer.

davey101 and LOCAL like this.
  15. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I almost forgot about my purchase today!!! I picked up 2 LaTrappe Oak Aged Quads Batch 9 & 11

16. Kasteel donker....can't get enough

17. deebo

deebo Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

St Bernardus Abt. 12 is my favorite. A big fan of Westy 12 too-but that guy is a little tougher to get. Nothing else is in the same class but some of the other Belgians versions are quite delicious and yet another step above any from the US.

18. Rochefort 10.

19. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Rochefort 10 is definitely my favorite quad. I actually think that it's the only quad I've had. However I probably won't pull the trigger on a 6-7 dollar 11.2 ounce bottle again any time soon.

20. Chimay Blue (but I have bottles of ROchefort 10, Le Trappe and Westy that I have been saving for a blind tasting. There's another Chimay Blue in there too, so we'll see who the true winner is soon enough).

21. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Chimay blue, bernardus 12 was a little too minty for me

22. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

The "Grand Three" of Rochefort 10, St. B 12, and Westy 12 are all great, but I have a soft spot for La Trappe's Quad. The dark fruit flavors are especially prominent in that one.

23. Belgian quad: De Struise Pannepot

American quad that tastes like a Belgian quad: Alesmith Decadence 2012

American quad that's clearly not a Belgian quad: Deschutes The Stoic

Gosox8787 and davey101 like this.
  24. Rochefort 10, without a doubt.

chrispoint likes this.
  25. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Whale: Westy 12, it's amazing.

Easy to get: Rochefort 10, semi easy to get: St. Bernardus Abt 12

26. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Schlafly's isn't bad, Weyerbacher's is great (and better aged, Blasphemy), Allagash Four and Three Philosophers are solid efforts, but the Belgians know the style better than anyone. Rochefort 10, Abt 12, La Trappe, Gulden Draak, Chimay, etc. all are great. I've never had a bad quad besides local guys Wild Heaven's Eschaton. It's a good take on the style but waaaaay too sweet. I'd say the Rochefort is the best though from my tastes.

27. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Quad = not a style

BDSA - been so long since I had westy, i've gotta say roche 10, though st b aged is a safe bet, too.

American - Skipping Pappy was the bomb. thanks JR.

Never had Pannepot - maybe i should head down stairs and fix that!

28. Rochefort 10 is hands down my favorite, and St. Bernardus Abt 12 is a close second. For an american interpretation, I really enjoyed Brau Brothers Barrel-aged Quad.

29. Westy 12. Best beer I've ever had.

30. Graviz

Graviz Savant (280) Colorado Feb 26, 2012

Boulevard BBQ Baby!!!

WassailWilly, Auror, dcloeren and 4 others like this.
  31. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Abt 12 > Westy

darky likes this.
  32. benidy

benidy Aficionado (130) Missouri May 4, 2008

To the sticklers of style: Yes, Quad is technically not a style. Quads fall into the generic Belgian Specialty Ale category. But, people put Quad on their labels so I think it is fair to talk about them in the context of best "Quad".

Anyone feel bold enough to explain the difference between a Belgian Dark Strong and a Quad?

davey101 likes this.
  33. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I recently did a blind tasting with all the classics and a couple of American ones as well. Rochefort and St. Bernardus blew everything else out old the water. As much as I love the taste of the Rochefort yeast, it was a little sharp and harsh going down. St. Bernardus edition on it's lush, creamy mouthfeel.

One that wasn't in the tasting, but is worth mentioning is Common's Bourbon Little Brother. This one really surprised me the first time I had it and I've been drinking a ton of it since.

34. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Pannepot>Abt 12>Chimay Blue

davey101 likes this.
  35. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Wat? Had a fresh growler and a few bottles over the summer and never thought of it as more than a decent American take on the style. Comparison to R10? Must. Buy. More. Now!!!

Pannepot is my favorite quad, especially the grand reserva. That extra calvados kick is just perfect.

36. Easily St. Bernardus Abt 12

37. Westy XII > Rochefort 10 > St. Bernardus Abt 12 > Sixth Glass

Mgm54 likes this.
  38. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The label? :D

TheBrewViking likes this.