1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Quad?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LOCAL, Jan 25, 2013.

1. My Top 10 Quad's (or listed on BA as a quad..)
    1. Pannepot Reserva
    2. Pannepot
    3. Pannepeut
    4. Roch10
    5. WestyXII
    6. St. Berny 12
    7. 3 Phil's
    8. Allagash Four
    9. Malheur 12
    10. Dieu de Ciel Rigor Mortis
    Dead last was Karl Strauss Two Tortugas.. waste of $6.
  2. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

Since Westy is a trophy. ..I will vote for R10
  3. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

Pannepot 2007 All day and Twice on Sundays...

Cheers!
    darky and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  4. You must be a pain in the ass to deal with in life. We get it cool man Luke.
    ao125 likes this.
  5. Ciocanelu

Ciocanelu Savant (460) Romania Aug 30, 2012

Urthel Samaranth was also nice.
  6. St. Bernardus Abt. 12, Allagash Four. Westy 12 is gold standard and fantastic-but I favor these two over it
  7. It's about the same as the difference between a Porter and a Stout!
  8. I think the Westy 12 is by far the least delicious of the big three.
  9. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Nor enough love for Gulden Draak.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Urthel Samaranth, Three Philosophers and Harpoon Levitation 2011.

I thought those were better than brick-pack Westy and St. Bernardus 12.
  11. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Gulden Draak is good but its a bit heavy on the sweetness.
  12. rfbenavi80

rfbenavi80 Savant (360) Missouri Mar 15, 2010

Westy, Rochefort, St. Bernardus ABT all solid, hard to choose just one.
    I personally think the American trophy goes to Boulevard for the BBQ and The Sixth Glass.
    mrhartounian likes this.
  13. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

I'm not so bad in person, I save my bad attitude for the internet.
  14. Do it. Matt opened one of the unlabeled 750s of it with me at the brewery recently, and it blew my mind. Also, according to him a tasting group threw it in to a blind tasting of Quads as the only American example, and it came in second to St. Bernardus 12. It beat out a couple little-known beers like Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren 12. Good thing it's still on shelves all over CT! :D
    davey101 likes this.
  15. '05 Pannepot Grand Reserva
    davey101 likes this.
  16. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Though not necessarily my favorite, I had a Straffe Hendrik Quad before a brewery tour at De Halve Maan and between the beer and the atmosphere and the weather, I was in heaven.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I don't want to be that guy, but I am going to have to go with Westy 12, with Rochefort 10 and Abt 12 being in a very close second.
  18. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Quad City DJ's
    dcloeren likes this.
  19. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Seconded. Love this beer!
  20. I view the BSDA vs. Quad as a Venn diagram: All Quads are Belgian Strong Dark Ales but not all Belgian Strong Dark Ales are Quads. One of the distinguishing ‘features’ is alcohol level. I have an expectation that a Quad will have a high alcohol level (i.e., 9 – 13% via the BA style description). A BSDA has a broader range for alcohol (i.e., 7 -15% via the BA style descriptions). Also I have an expectation for Trappist brewed Quads that they be dry. I have consumed a number of BSDA’s that are sweeter and fuller bodied in comparison.

So, for example a beer that is 8% ABV and somewhat sweet and full bodied is a BSDA to me.

A beer that is of higher alcohol (e.g., 10% ABV) and dry (with complex & layered flavors) is a Quad to me.

Needless to say there is potential for overlap here. A beer could be 10% ABV with moderate dryness and be labeled either as a Quad or a BSDA in my opinion.

Cheers!
    Etan likes this.
  21. Dont forget about Weyerbacher Quad.
  22. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Pannepot. While it doesn't have the cool "brewed by monks" back story, I prefer it to the ones that are.
  23. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

I love the big hitters (Westy and friends), but excluding them, I love Ommegang Three Philosophers and Boulevards The Sixth Glass
  24. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Well... <---

Beyond St. Bernardus, Rochefort 10 is amazing. Boulevard's Sixth Glass is also vastly underrated. Definitely a contender for top domestic Quad, and I love 3 Philosophers. We can expand to North America and add Trois Pistoles.
  25. MudDrinker

MudDrinker Aficionado (210) Ohio Oct 16, 2012

Rochefort 10. But Bernardus is still pretty damn tasty (and cheaper around here).
  26. 1fine69

1fine69 Zealot (75) Virginia Oct 1, 2010

I'm surprised I don't see St. Bernardus Christmas Ale on here more, it's basically the 12, but with delicious spices that take it over top! That one is my favorite (I can also get it year round). For my runner up, I'm gonna go with something a little less conventional. Unibroue Terrible definitely does it's own thing amongst it's quad peers, but I just can't get enough of that signature yeast they use!
    keithmurray and MudDrinker like this.
  27. I am looking forward to the Ovila Quad with plums. So far my favorite Quad is Mystic's Day of Doom from MA
  28. NateMac13

NateMac13 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 10, 2011

I was very surprised at the La Trappe Oak Aged Batch #9 I had. It has been my favorite so far. After that it has been Rochefort 10, Westy 12, St Bernardus Abt 12. I love quads.
  29. Beat me to it... Completely blown away!!! Had this recently and I think my bottle was at least 6 months old and it was amazing!!!
  30. My favorites have been mentioned already, but an American example I hold in high regard is Victory's V-12.
  31. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

Aside from the usual suspects already mentioned, I also like Avery's The Reverend. Easily accessible, affordable, and really good IMO.
  32. Westvleteren 12
    St. Bernardus Abt 12
    Pannepot Reserva

For a recently released American example, AleSmith Decadence 2012 is great.
  33. Rochefort 10
    St Bernardus Abt 12 is very good too
    Don't sleep on Malheur 12 - very good quad that no one mentions
  34. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (335) New York May 16, 2012

Kasteel Donker- Brouwerij VanHonsebrouck..... soooooo rich love it!
    Cheers!
  35. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Quads...BSDAs..oh well, FWIW, here are my top ones:
    1. Rochefort 10 (fresh.... aged....anywhere in between)
    2. Gulden Draak (aged 2 years, the complexity is mind-blowingly amazing)
    3. 2011 Boulevard BBQ
    4. Chimay Blue and St. Bernardus 12 (both aged around 2 yrs)

Time to empty the cellar - I'll soon be popping open some Boulevard Sixth Glass, 2011 Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw, 2011 Alesmith Grand Cru ...so this list might change...
  36. Oak aged La Trappe’s are fantastic, fav. are #1 phenomenal now, #3 & #5 are very good as well #8 is brilliant for an Islay BA now, Quercus #2 is excellent as well. #9 – #11 are not very good, I blame the barrels.
    Pannepot Grand Reserve is great as well, even beating the Special Reserva.
    Rochefort 10 is great as well esp. for availability & price it is brilliant, even without it.
    Westy 12 has never been that impressive & I tried it early before even knowing the hype, been aging some just to check.
  37. My favourite quads belonged to Tom Platz.
  38. The first use of the name is La Trappe which is quite atypical, although I do not believe in the style.
    I did once get a great explanation as to the difference between the Belgian Dark Strong & Quad - BDS uses spices & Quad's don't use spices.
  39. St. Bernardus Abt 12 for me. I've had Westy 12 and Rochefort 10 but St. Bernardus blew my mind the first time I tried it. The one time I had Rochefort 10 it seemed watery/weak so I need to give it another try and Westy 12 was a great experience but I think I over hyped it, so it was slightly disappointing.