1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Favorite Red Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BirdFlu

BirdFlu Member

Flying Fish's Rutgers-themed Exit 9 Scarlet Ale (now, sadly, tamed down and just called "Red Fish")..
    ESeab likes this.
  2. rholmes

rholmes Member

CCB Tocabaga is where it's at.
    FLBeerGuy and Danny1217 like this.
  3. Moose90

Moose90 Member

Hands down:
    [​IMG]

Far away 2nd:
    [​IMG]
    denver10 likes this.
  4. lsummers

lsummers Member

Levitation ale! It's my favorite session and it's a red ale.
  5. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Member

Heretic Evil Twin.

Hadn't realized until this thread how important reds (and ambers and ryes) are to me. Always though of myself as a garden variety hop head, focused mostly on IPAs, with an occasional Belgian diversion, but... Founders Red's Rye, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Troegs Hopback Amber, Two Brothers Revelry, Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye, Heretic Gramarye, Hilliard's Amber, Two Brothers Cane & Ebel, etc.
  6. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Member

I'm not big on red ales but my gf is, I got a bottle in a trade and she loved it. Ranked it right up there with Nosferatu.
    WebGuyMike likes this.
  7. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

Tocobaga for sure. Are they not bringing this to the south Florida area anymore?
  8. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

GL nosferatu. also, really surprised no one's mentioned FFF brian boru. delicious​
  9. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Lagunitas Imperial Red
    Maine Brewing's Zoe
    NN
  10. seplo

seplo Member

Hop Head Red
    Tongue Buckler
    Red Rye PA
    Nugget Nectar
    CHEERS
  11. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Member

I'm generally not a big fan of reds, but I loved Bells' This One Goes to 11. That's the best red ale I've ever had. Two Brothers' Revelry is damn tasty, and Great Lakes' Nosferatu on tap was excellent. Bear Republic's Red Rocket and Green Flash's Hop Head Red are solid and I'll pick them up occasionally too.
  12. saburky

saburky Member

It's been a while since I had one but Smithwicks would be my favorite
  13. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

I don't consider NN a red, so I'll go with Maine Beer Co.'s Zoe, even though it's more brown than red. Runner up goes to my homebrew, "Da Vinci's Code Red Ale".;)
  14. nikbullet

nikbullet Member

zoe from maine beer company.
  15. RangnaR

RangnaR Member

I missed out on the Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale, but I did enjoy Grand Teton Pursuit of Hoppiness...
  16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Member

If we're speaking about "American style" red ale, I guess I'd go with red rocket as well, but that's a pretty loose categorization. I would go with something like maudite or rare vos if we arent' talking only about american style red ales. (even red rocket is loosely based on scottish style beer)
  17. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Member

Definitely tough choice between the Laguniats Lucky 13 and Sam's Tasman Red...hmmmm delicious red malts.. Oh yeah, how can I forget Sam's Brick Red --- so malty, so good.
  18. RyFikes

RyFikes Member

Lagunitas Censored rich copper ale was the beer that opened my eyes to craft beer. So in a way it saved my life. Although we haven't always kept in touch and I've had sexual relations with many other beers since then; Censored will always have a place in my heart.
  19. Lantern

Lantern Member

Lagunitas Imperial Red is my favorite.
    PerdidoKeyBum likes this.
  20. Errto

Errto Member

Forgive me if this is a joke and I'm missing the humor but: this is ridiculous. I admit I don't drink as much Red Seal as I used to but that's mostly because it's not as frequently available. True it doesn't have the hop punch of a Nugget Nectar or Cascazilla, but bigger isn't always better, y'know.
  21. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I can't believe we haven't had a mention of Pipeworks Blood of the Unicorn.

[​IMG]

I'm a huge red fan and this is probably the best I've had.

Other honorable mentions go to:
    Bells - This One Goes to 11
    Lagunitas - Imperial Red
    Green Flash - Hop Head Red

Sadly Red is a style that often produces mediocre results that are more of an Amber.
    pvllbum likes this.
  22. cjoc83

cjoc83 Member

Nugget Nectar and G'night, hands down.
    ESeab likes this.
  23. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Member

Bell's This One Goes To 11 - almost reminds one of a red variation of Hopslam
  24. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Member

Naples Beach Brewery Rojo Especial
    &
    North Coast Red Seal
  25. Maxwell

Maxwell Member

Maine Beer Company's Zoe, it may be my favorite beer period... Also Lagunitas Imperial Red is pretty damn good too.
  26. pvllbum

pvllbum Member

I was at the release party for this beer and I was floored by how good it was. I like Two brothers because they have very solid beers with nothing crazy but the Revelry was just an awesome beer. Also someone else said G'Knight. I was able to have it last week from a cask double dry hopped and it was even better.
    lucasj82 likes this.
  27. redblacks75

redblacks75 Member

Any Red Ale prefaced by the word Flanders.
  28. mymasterpiece75

mymasterpiece75 Member

I haven't had it in a while, but I really enjoyed Half Acre's Ginger Twin.
  29. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Member

YES! this one caught me off guard as I generally don't like red ales. I love it. It is an easy one to trade for as well (I don't get it in Washington DC)
  30. fmccormi

fmccormi Member

If Nugget Nectar isn't a red ale, then neither is Tocobaga.

Or Zoe, Hop Head Red, Nosferatu, or . . . a shitload of the other responses people have come up with. That said, Nugget Nectar and Nosferatu are my favorite reds.
  31. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

Just personal preference. I can't stand red ales anymore. Cheers.
  32. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Member

33. morganmcd

morganmcd Member

Another vote for Ithaca Cascazilla. Helped ease the pain and suffering that was law school.
  34. Nugganooch

Nugganooch Member

35. cam07ds

cam07ds Member

For me its Oskar Blues G'Knight
  36. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I wish we could just call it Gordon again... lol
  37. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Member

Conway's is an irish red, but boy is it good. Three Floyds Brian Boru is Irish style but excellent as well.
  38. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Member

I enjoy GLBC Conway's Irish red and FFF Brian Boru for Irish styles, but when talking American red/amber ales I'd have to say Cigar City Tocobaga, and Alesmith yulesmith winter and evil dead red. I had the tocobaga when I was in Florida and it was excellent. Alesmith is an unbelievable red ale brewery. They have 3-4 that are class. For just a flagship ale though Bell's amber ale is a solid beer. Can't go wrong with that one either
  39. nrs207

nrs207 Member

Last year I didn't think I had one. This year, it's Nugget Nectar. Last year was the first time I had it and I was like "meh, hoppy Yuengling". I swear it's better this year, just tastes more tropical and better overall.
  40. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Member

Sam Adam's Red was OK. But this was more an Irish Red. Hopback was really good. I've tried G'Knight but got some onion and garlic in the taste. Anyone else have gotten onion/garlic from OB's G'Knight??? And what do you think about Hopback??