1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Regional and non-Regional U.S Bocks

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ZAP, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

1. What is your favorite Regional Bock in the Twin Cities area (Available in Twin Cities/Hudson, WI). Once again I am just really impressed with Schell Bock....bought three 12 packs so far and will buy more I would guess. Is there anything regionally in Minnesota/Wisconsin that compares to this outside the German beers? I had Hinterland Maple Bock and that is decent but not in this league.....not sure if New Glarus still does Uff Da or not....anything else I am missing?

2. What other U.S. breweries do quality bocks? I haven't traded in awhile but seem to recall Penn as a quality German brewery.

2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Capital Autumnal Fire and Great Lakes Doppelrock. Honestly I don't think many bocks in the US are good enough to bother with.

3. Schells Bock

4. adsel45

adsel45 Initiate (20) Illinois Jul 1, 2012

New Glarus has discontinued making Uff Da.
    It was my favorite Bock of any I have tried.
    I too am looking for that elusive flavor.

5. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

not quite fitting your bill, Zap, as it is a brewpub, but I recently had Einhorn bock from Delafield Brewhaus near Milwaukee and it was quite good.

But looking through my list of reviewed bocks that is all that is coming up of some quality that is available now (Uff Da was a very good bock).
    I haven't had Millstream bock for several years, so I just don't remember.

6. lit202

lit202 Zealot (95) Minnesota Feb 8, 2011

Ive been drinking a lot of Capitals eternal flame at my local watering hole. It's one of my favorites right now.

7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

never had that. back forty isn't that good.

8. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

How about the Einbock from Point? Easy to find, easy on the wallet, not bad tasting and even Jay Cutler likes it...

9. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

There are only two that I really look forward to, followed by a Top Tier (and "The Rest"):
    1. August Schell
    2. Sprecher "Winter Beer"

Top Tier:
    - Capital is in a three-way tie with itself: Dunkel Doppelbock (although I haven't seen it in a while), Autumnal Fire, and Maibock. I liked their Eisfire as well -- not sure on that (did Eternal Flame replace it?)

-Summit Maibock: Summit Maibock is a different style of course, but we takes what we can get! ;)

- New Glarus. I used to like Norski, but their Bock was a bit tepid ("Uff Da" was a fine replacement).

The Rest (I have enjoyed these brands/labels in the past, but don't think I've rated them here):
    Lakefront's Bock (haven't had it in a while, so maybe it's discontinued?) and "Big Easy" are/were both enjoyable, and their Holiday Beer is a lager... it's like an insanely spiced doppelbock and worth kicking a few back at 9.5%! Stevens Point Bock was never my favorite back in the day but was solid (and their new "Three Kings" Kolsch-style replaced it, recently).

Leinenkugel's haven't brewed a decent bock since the returnables went away. "1888 Bock" is slightly better than the last revival, but the returnable-era Bock was simply a cut above these recipes*. Ironically, "Big Butt Doppelbock" was a decent enough bock, but didn't quite cut it as a doppelbock.

Boulevard's "Boss Tom Bock" is a decent seasonal maibock.
    Special mention: Huber. It's year-round, cheap-ish, and has been fairly consistent for twenty+ years.

Sierra Nevada Glissade! But it was a maibock and is also gone now.:( High Point/Ramstein doesn't have a standard bock, but I bet they'd make a good one.

Shiner Bock doesn't really count and nor do Amber Bock/Ziegenbock, as none of these have quite got the profile down-pat, but instead are merely undifferentiated dark lagers looking for a good home. Shiner's anniversary Doppelbock --was-- passable for the style, but was regrettably a one-off. Crap....

Genessee Bock? Well, it's a maibock, too (but Hey! At $6.99/12 it'll get you crunk!) Mendocino did or does a "Bock", and it was actually a fairly boozy Helles/Mai Bock (but was acceptable enough for that style). Seems that there are a few other examples I'm forgetting (I used to love Pandora's Bock from Breckenridge, but it's either changed or my tastes have changed) -- Bayern Brewing, maybe?

Altogether the standard Dunkel/er/es Bock style is one that many American breweries have made attempts at, but which comparatively few have ever have truly mastered, which is why I'll still turn to a fresh German import for reference. As a result I've purchased very little by way of "American Craft-brewed" Bock variety in more recent years, since a couple of cases of Schell's Bock in the winter have gone a very long way to satisfying my primordial palate and its longstanding taste for one of my favorite styles.

* I have read in some dusty old beer book or other that there was once a separate "Wisconsin Bock" sub-style, so a lighter-bodied but full strength (5 to 5.5%) bock-style beer, and Leinie's, Point, Huber (and Rhinelander) and a few others really had that down-pat. Schell's Bock (and later Caramel Bock) were close enough to that, but in my opinion the Caramel Bock was a bit "off" for the style. Shiner Bock is pretty close to this "style", too.

hoeg0015, ZAP and evilgenius1917 like this.