1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Variety 12 Pack

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mkennedy119, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ommegang has a nice one - belgian pale ale, abbey ale, three philosophers, and hennepin. great stuff
  2. Not sure how these 2 havent been mentioned.

Smuttynose: Finest Kind, Robust Porter, Old Brown Dog, Shoals Pale ale. I can get it in mass for 12.99 when on sale, cant beat that man. (I hate when the put in star island single over robust porter)

Sam Adams Winter: Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, White Christmas, BL, and Chocolate Bock. And you cant put a price on the nostalgic value of fezzi and holiday porter(love the label).

Under the Radar. Ipswich: Oatmeal Stout, IPA, Pale Ale, Dark Ale. Oatmeal stout is world class. All Real good value, not all that common though.
    Beerista and mkennedy119 like this.
  3. Founders for sure my fav, ommegang is good, but the new southern tier super pack is really good, 12 oz bottles of unearthy....hell yes.
    Geuzedad and Potatocrawler like this.
  4. Great Divide that came with the following:
    Hibernation
    Yeti
    Hercules DIPA
    Hades
    Geuzedad likes this.
  5. I dig the Troegs snack pack and buy it quite a bit, especially when hosting beer-loving out of town guests.
    Pale Ale
    Dreamweaver
    Hopback
    Javahead

Still not sure why Stone doesn't do a mix pack:
    Levitation
    IPA
    Arrogant Bastard
    Porter
  6. I'm not sure you can beat the Victory 12 pack for $15.99
    RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  7. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (350) Illinois Nov 13, 2011

You're right. I forgot that it had been switched with Elliot Ness. It's been a while since I've bought it, but I think it's a switch for the better to be honest.

I also am not a fan of Burning River. Would def prefer Commodore in its place.
  8. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Nice! Actually to my knowledge they have never differed w/the 12 pack's selection. I think Ness is underrated, I feel it gets overshadowed by Dortmunder. They are both great but I've had friends who swear the formula has changed in Dort & prefer Ness. I've always enjoyed them both immensely, I think Ness is a bit maltier and smoother w/o the lager's funky bite @ times from Dort, but that's my palate. To this day Dort is the only beer I had so much of coming up that I can guesstimate where the keg is at level wise, i.e. just tapped, near the bottom. What do you think of Conway's Irish Ale?
  9. Blueribbon666

Wow, it's like seeing a unicorn wish I could find these in the wild. :eek: That goes for SN Beer Camp too, the only place I saw that carried it went outta business in 11/12. They sold the Beer Camp whole or as singles, this year's Oatmeal Stout was worthy of being a regular brew.
    Jules11788 likes this.
  10. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

ST
    Smuttynose
    Founders
    Brooklyn
    Rock Art
    Geuzedad likes this.
  11. eajb24

eajb24 Aficionado (150) Connecticut May 26, 2005

Heavy Seas does a nice one also.
  12. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Same story here, its about 25 bucks in VA. A deal IMO though. I six pack of Unearthly 12oz would be about12 or 13 I would guess. Bombers go for 6.99.
  13. The Tröegs winter pack is pretty solid.

-Hopback
    -Pale Ale
    -Java Head
    -Troegenator
    Geuzedad likes this.
  14. There are tons of them to be had here. See them everywhere. I guess it's Founder's way of saying "sorry you have to put up with all of those arbitrary PLCB rules. Here, have something awesome."
  15. Blueribbon666

:eek: Never seen this one either the addition of Java Head & Troegenator already make this better than their normal variety pack
    fugazidps likes this.
  16. Blueribbon666

I find this amazing given that delivery wise I'm closer to Michigan than you & the original poster, see Founder's all over but have yet to see a variety pack anywhere. I can buy cases of particular beers no problem.
  17. Beerbuddy21

Beerbuddy21 Savant (365) California Nov 19, 2011

I was thinking Lagunitas should sell a mixed 12'er. We should lobby Lagunitas to make one with exactly what you're saying; Pale Ale, Sumpin Sumpin, Maximus and IPA
    Jules11788 likes this.
  18. I always loved theNew Glarus sample pack
    Geuzedad likes this.
  19. The new Odell's pack is pretty decent.
    cran852 and timontheroad like this.

20. Currently they just released their first one
    -90 Schilling
    -IPA
    -St Lupulin
    -Looseleaf Session (Variety exclusive)
    rather likes this.
  21. Dark Horse Single Hop IPA 12-pack. Best and most unique use of the 12-pack formula. Other breweries should take note. A 12-pack, or even a 6-pack can be something more creative than just a lineup showcase or a seasonal package.

(not my photo)

[​IMG]
  22. I notice someone mentioned Ommegang, but all I've seen is 8-packs. In some order, undetermined, Ommegang, Victory and Southern Tier. I could last weeks just on the Victory one alone.
  23. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

WAY jealous!
  24. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Maybe where you are...and must be a small out of the way town.

I regularly see: Pyramid, Sam Adams, New Belgium, Gordon Biersch, Blue Moon, Shock Top, Redhook, Widmer, Kona, Double Take in chain grocery and sometimes also see (e.g. Whole Foods) Speakeasy, Bridgeport, He'Brew and even more that I'm missing! (Not to mention the SN Beer Camp when it comes out.)
    VictorWisc likes this.
  25. PhilLesh

PhilLesh Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jul 30, 2007

Summer = Oskar Blues and Butternuts
  26. Would love to see the Sam Adams Decon IPA variety pack. I believe it was 6 beers, 2 each and 5 showcased single hop profiles. Still remember how good the Simcoe single was.

27. I recently saw that at the beer distributor the other day, with those exact beers in the case for around $30. Unfortunately, when I found the best by date, it was for some time in January...
  28. I would have added New Belgium to my list too, but 1) I haven't seen any since my last trip to Colorado and 2) they always have three good ones and throw in some garbage to make you gag. I'll take Victory pack over that any day, even if I may like some of the NBs versions slightly better (by a very slim margin).
  29. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

When very fresh, I really enjoyed this as well. If Victory swapped out the Golden Monkey, I'd buy their mix pack constantly. I've lobbied to no avail.

I'm yet to find a mix pack that works for me.
  30. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I buy Brooklyn's now and again. Made the mistake of buying Saranacs Summer pack a few days ago, which disappointed big time. There is a continuous thread of oddball sweetness in all of their brews

Oh,I buy the Kona variety quite a bit.
  31. Mattco

Mattco Savant (250) Illinois Jun 5, 2011

This