1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite Wet Hop Beers in the Fall of 2013?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerIsland, Nov 17, 2013.

1. In a midst the pumpkin beers, wet hop beers become available. I'm curious if local versions of these are being made. I've been able to get about 1/2 dozen on tap in Lancaster, some national, most not. What are the favorites out there?
  2. I thought Troegs Scratch 116 was awesome.
    GreesyFizeek and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. Sunn

Sunn Savant (450) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

I've tried a few different ones over the last couple of weeks I really enjoyed. Founders Harvest Ale, Deschutes Chasin' Freshies, and Deschutes Hop Trip were all really good. Port Brewing High Tide's another good one as well.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  4. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (465) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

SN Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop, Deschutes Hop Trip and Chasin Freshies, and the NB Hop Kitchen Salmon free are the ones I have had so far. All pretty good IMO.
    MSmooth likes this.
  5. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Odell's Hand Picked IPA was (I thought) a different but very enjoyable take on a wet hopped IPA. Dry Dock's High Wired was really good too. As was Equinox's Hop Harvest 100% Amarillo wet hop IPA.

Deschutes's Hop Trip proved once again to be fantastic and my favorite of the year, though.
    fatsnowman22 and dawg1969 like this.
  6. Pumah25

Pumah25 Aspirant (40) Iowa Feb 14, 2012

Harvest ale.
    admobeer34 and beerindaglass like this.
  7. Msudukie

Msudukie Savant (325) New York Oct 26, 2013

I really enjoyed Broo Doo. Harvest Ale is very drinkable but just a step below in my opinion.
    Hirshi, Kyrojack and Sunn like this.
  8. I only had a few this year. Wasn't crazy about SN Northern Hemisphere. Was pretty happy with Founders Harvest. But what really blew me away was NJ's Kane Brewing with their Oast House Head High. Really phenomenal stuff.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. Sunn

Sunn Savant (450) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

Completely forgot about Broo Doo! Damn that beer was good, and the bottle art is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.
    creepinjeeper, thampel09 and Msudukie like this.
  10. In the past I have enjoyed the Victory wet hopped beers (Harvest Ale & Harvest Pils). I have not seen these on tap (yet).

I had a number of wet hopped beers at a Capone's event. I suppose my favorite there was a wet hopped beer by Great Divide (I don't recall the specific beer name).

Cheers!
    Halluxone likes this.
  11. Fremont Brewing Company's Cowiche Canyon Organic Fresh Hop Ale was the best one I had this year, absolutely amazing beer.
  12. Fresh Hop from Great Divide was really great this year...super piney and grassy and the greenest label I've ever seen.

Really like Celebration, Hop Trip, and Harvest too. Favorite time of year with a wet hop in one hand, giant football team foam finger over the other. Life is good.
  13. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Savant (405) Texas Oct 15, 2006

Freetail Hopothesis G.

Bottled in San Antonio, no distro yet. So insanely good.
    dawg1969 likes this.
  14. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Fat Head's Hopportunity Knocks and Hopstalker were amazing.. Founders was great as usual.. Columbus Super Fresh H-O-P was really good.. and FFF Broo Doo was extremely solid this year.. those were the standouts for me..
  15. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Broo Doo was fantastic.
    creepinjeeper and Msudukie like this.
  16. madtrixter787

madtrixter787 Savant (285) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Sixpoint Autumnation. All mosaic. All delicious.
  17. Most of mine have already been said, but there is one that has been overlooked. Bridgeport Hop Harvest Pilsner was excellent.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  18. bosoroni

bosoroni Aficionado (110) Illinois Oct 31, 2007

BrooDoo, Founders Harvest, Sixpoint Autumnation

eff! forgot Mr. Goroboros by Half Acre!
  19. Roguer

Roguer Champion (890) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I'd take Founders Harvest Ale over SN Celebration, so far. However, I've never tried either of the Northern/Southern Hemisphere ales by SN, nor any of the others listed above, so I can't speak to them.

Honestly, these wet hop ales are a little disappointing, considering you can get some truly amazing "normal" IPAs year-round. Not bad; just not mind-blowing.

(Typed as I drink a Heady Topper....)
    Msudukie likes this.
  20. MattLatuchie

MattLatuchie Savant (270) Illinois Jul 29, 2013

Broo Doo has probably been my favorite. Also really liked Sticky Fat (Half Acre) and Fresh Hop (Great Divide).
  21. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

I like love the heavier pine and green flavors, and the longer resin-y bitterness. I think many of us would take a Harvest over Celebration, but Celebration is much cheaper, much more available, and IMO a damn good beer.
    And if you don't like these wet/fresh hopped ales, don't drink them! :p Save your money for the year-round IPAs you love.

(Typed as I nurse a Celebration)
    Roguer likes this.
  22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I hate to say this, but deschutes really disappointed me this year. Chasingfreshies was my favorite wet hopped brew last year but didn't impress me at all this year. Mystand outs were ska brewing hoperation ivy and gdbc fresh hop. That was a damn fine beer.
  23. WheelsPSU

WheelsPSU Aficionado (240) New York Aug 25, 2013

Founders Harvest Ale. Oh, that was already said by everyone? A local Brooklyn favorite from Sixpoint (Autumnation) is pretty good.
  24. Rasmon

Rasmon Savant (370) Minnesota Oct 17, 2013

Surly Wet
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  25. ChesterHop

ChesterHop Savant (255) Connecticut Sep 14, 2010

Founders Harvest Ale without a doubt.
  26. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Savant (360) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Founders Harvest, Indeed's Mosaic Fresh Hop, and Town Hall's Fresh Hop 100 were all outstanding - really missed Brau Brother's 100 Yard Dash though.
  27. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I only had one this year. Fresh Founders Harvest Ale. Nothing to compare it to, but it was outstanding.
  28. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Correct. Thread over.
    surlytwinsfan and chinochino like this.
  29. Surly Wet by far my favorite

And on the next level
    Chasing Freshies
    Autumnation
    Great Divide
    Founders Harvest
  30. “Honestly, these wet hop ales are a little disappointing, considering you can get some truly amazing "normal" IPAs year-round. Not bad; just not mind-blowing.”

I hear what you are saying. The best way that I can articulate it is that wet hops provide a different quality from dried hops. Perhaps a good analogy for those foodies out there is cooking with fresh herbs vs. dried herbs. I am not prepared to say that one is ‘better’ than the other but they are certainly different.

I homebrewed a Harvest Ale using Nugget Hops that I picked as the wort was boiling (that is a fresh as it gets!). That beer is a very nice and pleasant beer. It certainly is not a beer like Heady Topper but does every beer need to be a Heady Topper? I should caveat that I am a HUGE fan of Heady Topper.

So, I suppose a proper summary would be that wet hopped beers are different from beer brewed with dried hops and maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Cheers!
    Msudukie and Roguer like this.
  31. sethmc01

sethmc01 Zealot (75) Wisconsin Apr 29, 2013

As I sit here enjoying a SN Celebration, I remember why I look forward to it every year! Fantastic.

My first year trying Founders Harvest Ale. Thought it was outstanding.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  32. Roguer

Roguer Champion (890) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I should clarify that I do not, in any way, dislike these fresh hop ales (Celebration and Harvest). Rather, I felt a little let down after all the hype on the forum, and they ended up not being right up my alley as far as my preferred IPA profile.

Nothing wrong with them at all; I can appreciate them, and I DO like them, just not quite as much as I'd hoped.

Prost!
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  33. The broo doo I had was very disappointing. Seemed like a malty mess which really confused me. Wonder if something was up with it
  34. willth

willth Aficionado (235) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

Shorts kind ale. Hands down
    HopHeadHerman likes this.
  35. I realize it's been said on this thread, but Founders Harvest Ale was great. Not only the best wet hopped ale of the seasone, but one of the best releases of the year.
    RacerX5k and Ivegotmule like this.
  36. i liked Schells fresh hop pils (mosaic) this year
    morimech likes this.
  37. Just picked up a growler of Great Divide Fresh Hop. Very tasty.
  38. Hophead21

Hophead21 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Sep 19, 2013

Just had SN Northern Hemisphere, amazing beer
    scotorum and creepinjeeper like this.
  39. largadeer

largadeer Champion (755) California Sep 24, 2006

Had quite a few this year, and most of them sucked. Cellarmaker's Questionable Origins was probably the best.
  40. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Yea I thought that's what you meant. And they do generally have a different profile. For those of us that want a vegetal, piney, almost kushy beer- they're great! I'd be really interested to trying a wet/fresh Centennial hopped beer like Two Hearted to see how citrusy it is.

IMO it was a very good year for wet/fresh hops, IF you really like the flavors they provide. The raw hop flavor seemed surprisingly strong in both SN's beers and Founders. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Deschutes, but they were still great beers.
    Roguer likes this.