1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favorite year-round Deschutes brew

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beerbiatchMD, Mar 3, 2012.

?

What's your favorite?

1. Mirror Pond

23.5%
  2. Black Butte Porter

36.5%
  3. Inversion IPA

9.4%
  4. Green Lakes Organic

1.2%
  5. Obsidian Stout

25.9%
  6. Cascade Ale

2.4%
  7. Chainbreaker White IPA

1.2%
  1. beerbiatchMD

beerbiatchMD Savant (270) Maine Nov 19, 2011

I think I'd have to go with Black Butte Porter. I miss that beer so much. Cheers.

2. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Black Butte Porter. My go to sixer is that and Avery White Rascal. Black Butte beats it because it's cheaper, sessionable, and I'm never not in the mood for it (usually in the mood for White Rascal, but sometimes not)

3. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

Gotta agree with Black Butte Porter. It's my favorite porter and one of my favorite beers overall.

4. It's a toss up between Mirror Pond and Black Butte Porter. If I'm at home drinking bottles I usually go for the Mirror Pond. If I'm out at a restaurant I'll order the Black Butte Porter 7 out of 10 times.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Good old Mirror Pond. I drink this stuff constantly during baseball season. Tasty, smooth, even, balanced, Mirror Pond defines Pale Ale for me. Deschutes' regular lineup is so strong across the board, you really can't go wrong with any of these beers. The only one I don't particularly care for is the Chainbreaker, but it's still a very good beer. It's very possible Deschutes gets my vote for Best Brewery in America.

6. I miss the Bachelor Bitter, that was my go to for years. They need to bring that one out of retirement.:(

[​IMG]

Still got love for the rest though especially Obsidian on nitro....... mmmmm Beer Milkshakes.....

hopsbreath likes this.
  7. I really didnt like/love any of Deschutes year round releases until I tried chain breaker last week. That being said, I love their seasonals and big beers that they do. Hop Henge is amazing, I drink the hell out of Red Chair, Abyss speaks for itself...

Maybe I need to revisit Mirror Pond. I havent had it in a couple years but I remember I tasting (and looking) like pond water.

8. I would have to go with Black Butte, even though I don't drink it as much as I used to.

9. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

Obsidian. I like Black Butte too but Obsidian is closer to the top of its style for me, whereas Black Butte has two beers that clearly beat it in Ed Fitz and Founders Porter.

10. vkv822

vkv822 Advocate (600) Oregon Nov 30, 2009

I definitely have the same feelings. Mediocre year-round choices but exceptional seasonals. The one regular I do enjoy/occasionally purchase for myself is Obsidian Stout.

11. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I'll take Obsidian. I'm usually 'surprised' by how good of a beer it is.

12. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

This is me starting two months ago. I just can't believe this beer is only a dollar! Add vanilla ice cream for the best dessert you have ever had!

13. Inversion all the way.

14. I love Inversion. I don't think Chainbreaker should be on this list yet. Didn't they just start bottling it? I really like it (have had it a few times at the Portland Pub), but it will take some time for the novelty to wear off so I can determine how it compares to their other offerings.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  15. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Mirror Pond and Obsidian Stout are my favorites. Black Butte Porter is amazing too.

16. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Seems Black Butte is getting lots of love. I just bought another bottle as I haven't had it in quite some time. Should be a great revisit.

17. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (315) Washington Oct 27, 2009

Obsidian stout and inversion ipa for me.

18. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

It's pretty rare that I buy their year-rounders, but I buy a fair bit of their seasonals, Bond St Series, and of course the Reserve line. If I find myself in a place with a limited tap selection I almost always go for Black Butte.

19. Obsidian Stout. Best everyday stout on the market.

woemad and johnnyboy76 like this.
  20. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I've had Black Butte & Mirror Pond the most, probably because they're available at virtually any establishment that serves or sells liquor out here. I've only had Chainbreaker once, at the PDX pub, and I liked it but don't think I can give it a fair assessment. I also had Obsidian on nitro at the PDX pub last time I was there, and that's a damn fine beer. Hadn't had it in a while.

None of their standard lineup is super exciting, but they're all well made and fairly inexpensive, which makes it a tough choice. I think I'll give the nod to Black Butte though.

21. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Use to drink a lot of Black Butte, but not so much any more although it is my pick when the selection is really crappy.

22. For me its a toss up between Black Butte and Obsidian, both are amazing beers that are at the top of their styles. That being said I have Black Butte a lot more so that gets the nod here.

23. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Thing about Black Butte is that it can be a gateway beer for non craft drinkers while still being solid to the already craft drinkers. I don't know if any of the others have the same effect.

24. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Call me crazy, but I think Session falls into the same category. Sure, there are hundreds of better lagers out there, but there's something about cracking open a few of those stubbies on a hot day that just makes me happy. Plus, it's light enough that you can hand one to your friend who only drinks PBR and they'll most likely enjoy it.

25. +1 to this. I really enjoy Hop Henge and I love grabbing a one-off from the brewery/brewpub when I'm in Portland.

26. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Gotta go black butte, but the funny thing is I don't really like porters all that much, every time I have one I just wish I was drinking a stout, but that's not the case with black butte. It's awesome every time.

27. year-round... Black Butte porter...

28. scmath

scmath Aspirant (25) Mar 11, 2012

The Black Butte is always my go-to Deschutes brew. Such an excellent porter. It's also been a great introductory porter for several of my friends who shied away from porters in the past.

29. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

I've always been a fan of Deschutes and most of their lineup, but if I had to pick one it would be Obsidian - just a great stout. I really dig Inversion too, and all of their seasonal/reserves (I'm leaving The Abyss out because it's on an altogether different plane of existence).

30. I know I am in the minority, but Cascade ale is definitely one of my favorites! I used to live on the Oregon Coast and bought Cascade all the time, only because we cannot get it in California. I really wish they would sell Cascade in the NorCal and Bay Areas.