1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Favourite Belgian-brewed American beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by patto1ro, Jan 23, 2013.

1. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

? really so taking a known style and tweaking it makes its a new style?, I have to disagree with you here. Besides read history about beer and you find its been brewed already 200 years ago most of the time. just my 2 cents...o_O
  2. azorie

I never said a thing about rice, I was just commenting on styles invented here, simple as that. I think the op topic has confused me, sorry...
  3. I was about 3 or 4 in, didn't read that right haha.
  4. I saw and drank Wildman Farmhouse IPA for the first time last year (2012). The first review on BA for this beer is dated 2012.

Cheers!
  5. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Technically, that's not too uncommon in brewing history where even different regions will have similar styles that aren't too distant cousins. There are separate Pilsner styles and the North Germans used to brew fruit beer and spiced beer before it was outlawed thanks to the application of Reinheitsgebot. These were similar to the Belgian styles and probably different enough that if these styles never disappeared, they would be listed as separate styles. Of course, the popular Munich Helles was inspired by the Czech Pils as well.
  6. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It was first brewed for the Wildeman 25th anniversary. Just looked it up and that was April 2011. I thought it was about two years ago. I should remember, I was there at the party.
  7. “I was there at the party.” Sweet! Did you wear a party hat!?!:)

While Wildeman was brewed on April 2011 it was not distributed to my ‘neck of the woods’ (Pennsylvania, which is very close to Maryland) until last year. I think I first saw it at a beer store in May/June 2012. A beer store dude was nearby:

Me: What is the Flying Dog beer called Wildeman Farmhouse IPA?

Beer store dude: I don’t really know, we just got it in. It is a new beer from Flying Dog.

Me (talking out loud): Well, I like Saison beers and I like American style IPAs so this beer must be good!?!

And I was right, Wildeman Farmhouse IPA is really good!

Cheers!

P.S. Below is from brewbound.com

ABV 7.5
    Style IPA
    Updated 2/13/2012

Brewbound Review:

When done properly, there are very few beers that have the appeal of a well-crafted Belgian IPA. Wiledeman is the first of 12 new beers being introduced this year (2012) by Flying Dog and if this offering is any indication of how the other 11 will turn out, we can’t wait to sample. It’s a variation of the Farmhouse IPA brewed in 2011 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the legendary Amsterdam taproom, In De Wildeman. It’s also now a permanent part of the brewery’s portfolio, and for good reason …
  8. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I always wear a paper hat at parties. Or military uniform. A paper hat would look silly with a uniform.

April 2011 is when it was first served, not brewed.

Now I understand why it's always on tap in Wildeman. They've brewed it more than once. I'd wondered why it hadn't run out.

I'm pretty sure they had it cask-conditioned at the anniversary bash. I can definitely remember that the De Molen brett Porter was on cask.

9. I don’t know whether it is a good idea to wear a paper hat at Wildeman parties. It may get wet from spraying beer and then it will sag.;)

So, I am guessing that you drank this beer: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/69698

The beer that I drink is this: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/77837

Cheers!
  10. azorie

yes well then there is the whole thing about what is a style. My point is you may think you invented a "new beer" but the odds are its been done and most likely it was done in Europe 100 years ago or more. anyway its beer and we like it....:D
  11. Oh, I guess this is what you meant. +1 credibility point for Longstaff!
  12. Given the basic ingredients there isn't much scope for doing anything entirely new.But it's great fun trying :)

13. Blueberries are the world's most useless fruit???
    Love to see you try to explain that one.
  14. Mmmm. Sort of like saying:

'Cars. Nothing new there. Four wheels, covered seats, room for passengers, horse power. Totally indistinguishable from the horse and carriage.
    acevenom likes this.
  15. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

At least for aging darker beers on :p Blueberries are sweet and generally "heavy", so they offer little to no contrast to the coffee and chocolate notes of porters/stouts. They're a great contrast in lambics/sour blends.
    Zimbo likes this.
  16. Yep. That's the one. In terms of beer and alcohol, blueberries have no business in either.
  17. azorie

yea I guess it all depends on how you determine when 1 set of ingredients varies enough to be called a "new" beer.
    But its new to this generation so you know how that is....:D I rather drink good beer and be happy, but we all need something to talk about. beats fighting over who the best team is all the time, lol
  18. whoops