1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Febrewary at BWS

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aussieoverlord, Feb 5, 2013.

1. http://www.beerwinespirits.com.au/

Look at the HUGE range of craft beers available there.

Buy some Sail and Anchor and get a free BBQ spatula. Have to love Wooly's for the effort. BBQ tongs would be more practical.

2. foles

foles Savant (420) Australia Jan 28, 2007

I'd rather use the money to buy some tongs than S&A.

3. hmmm - anyone know why (financially and mark-up wise) the mixed-6 at 20% off is restricted to bottles 500ml and under?

1st Choice do it and Danno's sometimes do it tho it varies from store to store.....

4. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

A couple of reasons I've been given...

Responsible service of alcohol - it seems that we can handle 6 small bottles but not 6 large ones and they don't like to encourage us drunks.

Re. mark-up I was told that because of some of the larger format beers, ie Chimay, they take too much of a GP hit. That doesn't make sense to me, because, once again ie Chimay, is in 330ml as well.

Can you shed bottle shop logic light Lukie?

5. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Seems odd. There's never a shortage of 2 for $80 (or other $ amount) deals being run on cases.

6. curiouser and curiouser - you can of course buy two 6-packs (!)

7. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Oh I'm fully aware of the oddity. I rang up some BWSs, 8 of them (3 W.A, 3 Vic, 2 NSW {this is what happens when Mistress M goes away and I get bored at home}) and asked them. Apart from 'Ummm, just cause' those were the two most common responses I got.

8. IMHO - it has nothing to do with RSA and more to do with margins and stock levels held in the general warehouse that 1st choice and Dans source from.

9. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

There is also the fact that you would get cheeky bastards like me buying 4 of the cheapest possible beer and 2 magnums of Duvel just to get the 20%.

10. The same applies for 20% of wine deals for say 4 bottles or more - buy 3 cleanskins for 5 dollars each and then get 20% of a bottle of Moet.

The system works for whatever quantity of the premium purchase you buy as the 20% has already been factored into the without discounted price so the bottle shop will still make GP on the sale.

11. hmmmm -methinks I am gonna start having chats with staff at these stores when I am there..... there has to be some hidden reason.

Most obvious one I can think is it used to be 'free size' in 1st Choice..... until ........ Ambassador hit the shelves briefly. I can maybe understand the idea of protecting price on that.

All other arguments on here tho agree that beer price = wine price in terms of all things financial and markup on bottle size...

danieelol likes this.
  12. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I would imagine it is some stupid "responsible service" when it comes to woolworths.

Cause it's totally okay to sell 15 litres of wine for 30 bucks, but not okay to sell 500ml bottles of beer. Dear, sir, no.

13. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

14. There is also the argument, and I don't know the ins and outs of the arrangements for the stocking of beers such as chimay at dans or 1st choice, but I would have a guess that these sort of beers are 'direct'.

And when I say direct it means the actual store orders from the brewery or whoever has distribution rights in Australia and it comes to the store through a courier - those beers don't necessarily come at that cheap a price compared to say if it comes from Dan's or 1st choice's warehouse, so it would stand to reason that they might be excluded from any 20% deal.

In saying that, and I did go to Dans tonight, they had 10% off for a mixed 6 pack; that is a much more reasonable discount for the stores to allow for their 'direct beers' rather than 20%.