1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

February 2013 Cellar reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by 4DAloveofSTOUT, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I'll start the February cellar review thread for this month!

Cracked a bottle of 2010 KBS this morning with breakfast.

A: really looks nice. 2 fingers of head from a hard pour.
    S: really big bourbon. faint coffee that is kind of stale.
    T: big bourbon that still got a little hotness to it. Vanilla, milk chocolate, and a hint of stale coffee.
    M: starting to get nice and silky.

Still prefer KBS fresh, but this was an experiment that I started back in 2010 that I wanted to see what would happen for myself.
    garymuchow likes this.
  2. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I also had a 2010 along with a 11 & 12 over the weekend. The 10 to me was pretty week on the bourbon, your right on the stale coffee.
  3. im a bit of a noob when it comes to aging because most of the time i dont age beers i drink them lol. have any of you aged bourbon county coffee or cherry rye? if so was it worth holding on to them or should i enjoy both fresh?
  4. founder26

I cant speak for the cherry, but I will say I much prefer bcbcs with some age on it, after having one fresh lately it had too much booze in the nose.
  5. Cracked open a 2010 and a 2011 Bigfoot during the game Sunday.

'10 was markedly better in my opinion. The hops died down just enough so that the malt bill really stood out. Nice sherry, caramel, molasses and toasted bread quality. There is definitely still some bittering hops that lend some pine and a touch of earthiness to tone down the sweetness. Really nice.

'11 had too much muddled hop character. The malt was quite as developed and the bitter hops really overpowered anything else. It opened up a bit as I got past the initial bitterness, but still not as good as the '10. At a bit of a weird point currently.
    garymuchow likes this.
  6. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Just had a Founders Curmudgeon from 2012, only 10 months old but figured I'd post my thoughts. Had very nice caramel and leather notes and the hops have definitely faded. Seems to have mellowed out over the 10 months. Slightest bit of oxidation but much easier drinking and less harsh than fresh. I know a lot of people like this one fresh compared to aged but I bet it's got another year on it. A good representation of an old ale in my book.
  7. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Old Ruffian, bottled Nov 2010. Probably spent a fair amount of time in a fridge (maybe half?). The hops had toned down a whole lot, and it was smooth as can be. Not a hint of the 10.2% ABV. Very nice, although I think another year could maybe made it even better.
    danimalthegreat and garymuchow like this.
  8. osubeerkind

osubeerkind Aficionado (100) Ohio Jan 12, 2009

2010 Pere Jacques bottled 1/13/10 just missed its third birthday. Pour gently, lots of floaties. As expected flavor is dominated by Belgian yeast with a very dark fruit finish. Overall I'd say this is close to or at its peak. If you have any I'd say give her a try.
    garymuchow likes this.
  9. argock

argock Savant (490) Virginia Dec 30, 2006

2010 Ommegang Three Philosophers. 2010 on neck label. Stored at 60-65F. Served at 50-55F in a Chimay goblet.

It took me longer to check this out than planned.

The appearance is hazy and murky with a 1 finger light beige cola-like head with some spots of lace. The aroma is more heavily cherry and pear than in the other two recent vintages (2008 and 2009) but there are still plenty of plum and fig type aromas. The flavor is exceptional with more tart cherry character and a lighter feel than the older two. It is probably even a little more drinkable although has noticeably less depth. I enjoyed this beer as did my wife who asked me to buy more of this to cellar! I still think the 2009 is the best of the three I have tried (2009 > 2008 > 2010). It is time to 4 or 5 lingering 2012s and put them away for 3-6 years and see what happens. I have a 2011 that I will hang onto for sure.
    garymuchow likes this.
  10. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I agree with founder26. I kept a bottle of 2010 BCBCS cellared and drank it a couple months ago with some friends and it was outstanding. So smooth and the coffee has taken a very nice back seat to the stout base. Yes, I've also had that vintage fresh and definitely prefer it with a couple years on it. Many people will say not to age coffee forward beers since the coffee is known to fade, but in this beer it faded wonderfully. It didn't completely go away, it just found its perfect place in the beer as a whole.
    stx00lax, Fluteswell and founder26 like this.
  11. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (750) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

2010 KBS
    Alright I'm game since so far this seems to be the cellared beer of the month, although I thought of pulling out a 3 Philosophers, but I wasn't ready for hitting a 750ml by myself.
    Still pours very attractively with a 1/2 inch and very dense head covering a thick black pour with very dark red highlights. Aroma is heavy chocolate, coffee and initially quite boozy but that seems to be moving towards the background. It is a more balanced drink now than originally. There is a slight oxidation, but it's not too disruptive. As noted previously the coffee flavors have a bit of age on them, but overall the blending of flavors is quite nice. Smooth, but there still is a soft bite. I'm not sure if I have any more hiding in the cellar, but this is drinking nicely right now.
    founder26 likes this.
  12. Just did a review for Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze. ~1 1/2 years old

A 375ml bottle dated 03 NOV 2011. Got the wire cage about half way undone when the cork went off like a fucking rocket(did not foam over however). Left a dent in the ceiling. Don't look down the barrel when opening this one.

A: Amber, orange, golden would all fit. Large rocky, white head and easily the most vigorous bubbling I've seen in a glass. 4.25

S: Sour, sweaty, and earthy(like dirt/earthworms). Some sweetness is also detectable. 4

T&M: Very earthy, and tart. Makes my mouth water like crazy. Incredible effervescence and dances on the tongue like its fighting to not go down. Geuze guts anyone? An after taste of salty sweat. 4&4.5

O: Enjoyable and refreshing but hard to find at a decent price. I'm glad I tryed it but no where near as complex as I was hoping. It was nice to have a Geuze that was devoid of the dreaded acetone/nail polish remover flavor(I'm looking at you Experimental Cassis). 4.25
    corby112 and Bluecane like this.
  13. Cracked a SN 30th Anniversary Stout during the Super Bowl with another BA and it was amazing! It has aged beautifully, so if you have any sitting in your cellar I would crack them. I still have 1 left so I'll probably give it another year or so to see how it comes along as they are just about to hit 3 years old next month. Didn't do a full review but I am 100% comfortable saying that it was amazing and better than when it was first released.
  14. osubeerkind

osubeerkind Aficionado (100) Ohio Jan 12, 2009

Schlafly Reserve Barleywine aged in oak. 2007. Doing some cleaning with friends. Lots of sherry notes. Malt character with some dark fruits. Seems to be past its prime because it falls off after initial taste. Should have had this one a couple years ago.
  15. Southern Tier Choklat, bottled January, 2010. I'm a fan of this beer, despite it's insane sugary sweetness. First time I've had it aged...and I see the '10 version is 11%, whereas the newer versions are 10%.

It's a bit thinner than the fresh bottles. Chocolate is not as strong, age has definitely smoothed it out a little. To be honest, this is a little over the hill. The muted chocolate flavor has left behind some very stale roasted notes, very much like stale coffee. There's still plenty of chocolate, and this isn't bad by any means.

But, I'd definitely prefer a very fresh bottle of this. I feel like it'll be a hell of a lot easier to work through this bottle myself than it would be to work through a syrupy sweet fresh bottle solo, because it's definitely going down easy. But, if you're after the chocolate bomb that this beer really is, then go for it on the fresher side.

Yup, 3-year old Choklat on Valentine's Day, alone. Single life!
    kagent777, Steimie and landrewg like this.
  16. kagent777

kagent777 Savant (260) Utah Dec 6, 2009

2010 Old Ruffian opened last night. This is an incredibly balanced American Barleywine. The balance of the sweetness of the malts edged right up against the bitterness. I did not have it fresh as we do not get Great Divide here in Utah.

A wonderful Barleywine drinking very well right now.

Cheers,
    Scott
  17. Opened a 2008 Gueuze Maraige Parfait, a 1998 Old Crustacean Barleywine, a 2004 Old Crustacean barleywine and a 2011 Hunahpus the other day. All tasted amazing but the 2004 was one of the best barleywines I have ever had right next to the 2004 Stone Old Guardian I tried at Falling Rock during the GABF. I think 8 years is prime for a barleywine like that. the 1998 was falling off a little, could have been due to the capping there was a little rust around the inside edge of the cap. The Hunahpus was great, definitely better then the 2010 I drank not too long ago.
  18. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Opened a 2010 Wet Willy tonight. Purchased it fresh and put it right into the cellar having drank the other two bottles I bought. It mellowed out slightly and the fruit became much more pronounced. Light addition of sherry and a mellowing of the oak noted, without them being negatively diminished. Really delicious.
  19. fvernon

fvernon Savant (360) Indiana Mar 1, 2010

Opened a 2010 WWS tonight - it's a dark chocolate brownie with rum-soaked cherries. drinking exceptionally well right now.
  20. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Even though it is now March...About to have buddies over for a cellar drinking night. I hope to get into an Abyss Vert of 3 years and then a Parabola Vert of the same.
  21. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (750) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

Put this in Feb as I had this, Schell's 2011 Snowstorm, earlier this week.
    This wee heavy has aged pretty nicely. There is a touch of oxidation to it, but the smoothing out of the grains took away a little sharpness and made it actually a little more enjoyable than previously. It probably won't do much better than it is now.
  22. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Decided to try my 2+ year old Allagash Tripel.

This was really just an experiment but I did not expect much. Great look with a wonderful fluffy head. Aroma is tropical fruits and spice. It has definitely faded and the brightness has mellowed. The taste is sweet and a bit one-note. Did not expect any miraculous changes over time with this beer. That said, it still is enjoyable. I love this beer fresh!
  23. Had a 2010 Oskar Blues Ten Fidy on Saturday night. Kind of gross actually. It had devolved into mostly an artificial plastic flavor with a bit of smoke. I think perhaps we just caught this particular vintage in a bad year. If you have 2010, keep siting on it.
  24. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

Cracked a 2012 and 2013 Expedition side by side over the weekend. Both bottled in January. What a difference a year makes. This beer has improved dramatically over the year. Still have 5 - 2012 left and look forward to revisiting this vertical next year.
  25. founder26

Shared a 2011 parabola with michpaul last night. I have had 2012 both fresh and aged a year, but man 2011 is drinking great, pracically no abv burn, pure chocolate bourbon bliss!
  26. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

no the plastic your tasting is because they use a can instead of a bottle. They coat the metal with plastic so the beer doesn't taste like metal but then eventually the beer tastes like plastic. I refuse to buy their beer very often because of this. Please any beer company that reads this post stick with bottles.
  27. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I drank a sixer of January '12 Expedition over the course of the last few months (half of them were in February, so it counts for this thread!!!), and yeah, it's fucking great at the year-long point. Bought a sixer of the Oct '12 batch to hold onto until this October. Really need to stash away at least a bottle or two for longer term storage (yes, I shoulda just bought another sixer.. or two.. hindsight my friend).
  28. Cracked a 2011 DFH Bitches Brew and a 2011 GD Oak aged Yeti. Both were not as good as they were fresh. They developed a much earthier/dirt flavor that I wasn't a fan of.
  29. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Had '10-'13 Central Waters BBBW...
    Do not age this beer. '10 was so far gone, '11 was marginally better.
  30. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I couldn't disagree with this post more. One of my favorite beers in the world to age. I would love to have more of the '08 & am sad over my last couple of '09.

Did you cellar these yourself?
  31. Cracked an Abacus tonite .
    First ever was delish
    Got a Sucaba 12 and 13 put back !!
  32. will1256

will1256 Savant (370) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

Did a '12 and '13 mini-vertical a few weeks back and found '12 to be excellent right now. 13 was a little hot, and a little hoppy for my taste. The 12 had really mellowed and come together quite nicely, with prominent caramel and molasses, while maintaining a nice bourbon flavor. Can't speak to earlier vintages, but I will continue to age my remaining 2012s to see how they do.
  33. Agreed here, I think CW BBBW is an absolute beast of a beer at 1-2 years of age. Definitely better than fresh, for my tastes, although I do enjoy it fresh as well.