1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FedEx or UPS

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ILOVESTOUTS, Dec 11, 2012.

1. I have always shipped FedEx and never have had an issue. Although, after reading Alpine/HF/Lost Abbey debacle with FedEx, I am open to hear what others thoughts are.

robinsmv and cfrances33 like this.
  2. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

What debacle do you speak of? I've never had any issues with FedEx.

3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

UPS store is 15 minutes away. FedEx is 20 minutes away. Plus the woman at UPS sees me so often she stopped asking what I'm sending and doesn't question me if a box sloshes around a bit.

sleuthdog and robinsmv like this.
  4. Long story condensed.... Alpine got charged shipping when they shouldn't. Alpine shipped to HF making it to New Hampshire, only to get sent back by FEdEx. Lost Abbey had the same problem when shipping to HF. FedEx pretty much told all 3 breweries to screw, all 3 breweries implored their customers to use alternative shipping methods than FedEx.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/alpine-vs-fedex.53781/page-2#post-706790

davey101 and robinsmv like this.
  5. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

Thanks for the low down

6. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

My local FedEX store has one particular employee that always seems to be there when I go in and he just asks a few too many questions and seems like the shipping police. My local UPS store has employees that are not too interested in my contents and are just much more pleasant so that makes me go back to UPS.

franklinn likes this.
  7. I hope that FedEx isn't too damaged economically by losing that 1/1000 of a percent of their total shipping business.

Did all 3 breweries have the proper licenses to ship the beer? Is they did, they have a legitimate beef. If not, too bad.

On a lighter note:

A Redwood City, California man stupidly tried to ship methamphetamine and cocaine through the mail, then, got himself arrested after he called FedEx to ask why his packages hadn’t been delivered to their destination in the Philippines!
    That would be because the packages containing three kilograms of meth and 100 grams of coke had been intercepted at Customs. But until Gabriel Uribe-Bautista gave FedEx a call, they had no idea who sent them. Guess you can say he delivered himself! Hi-Yo!
    Bautista was arrested on charges related to the sale and transport of illegal drugs. Bond was set at one million dollars, although as of this posting Gabriel hasn’t been able to make bail. Aww, man. If only he had, say, three kilos of meth and 100 grams of coke he could sell.

8. In my experience Fedex is Cheaper, But Im not really POSITIVE. Plus, the only Time ive had Damaged bottles was through UPS, broken bottles on both ends

9. 1/1000? I think you are being rather generous of all 3 breweries shipping practices. It's not a question about loss of business, but a major corporation saying FU to 3 rather small, independent business owners.

My reading comprehension is rather low, but I took away that the 1st 2 shipments had grey areas, however the Lost Abbey to HF was completely legit and FedEx just said "tough".

10. I have sent and received from both, no problems. Granted, I am only 10ish trades in to this. I find FedEx to be a few cents cheaper though.

11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

100+ boxes sent, 100+ boxes received. UPS perfect record coming and going. FedEx 3 boxes badly damaged coming. UPS only and always for me. The few extra dollars is worth the peace of mind.

12. I just shipped out my first 2 boxes last week. I took the time to reinforce the boxes with duct tape and wrapped them in brown paper. When I took them to FedEx, the guy at the counter made me take off the wrapper and the duct tape. Unfortunately, I was shipping in wine boxes. The counter guy made the comment, "I hope that there is no wine in those boxes because you need the correct license to ship it". I calmly responded that there is no wine in the boxes.

They have made it to Chicago and New Jersey so far. We'll see if they show up intact tomorrow at their destination.

13. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

I've always used Fed Ex, no complaints...

14. Both are solid but UPS is slower, sometimes way slower.

smutty33 likes this.
  15. I used FedEx because it was cheaper in my neck of the woods.

16. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (280) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

My story is the same if you switch the companies around. When packages from UPS go out for delivery to me, they mysteriously end up "Damaged - Destroyed". I don't trust my local UPS driver. I think he knows i'm receiving beer and either damages it or keeps it.

I advise anyone sending to use UPS at their own risk. Overall, i have no problems with the company, but I will default to Fedex largely because of my local UPS issue.

17. I use UPS and have never had any problems with them. I think the guy at the UPS store knows what's up but he doesn't seem to care. Just be friendly with folks the usually let things slide. It also helps to have a cleanly packed box (all labels removed doesn't look like shit), although sloshing doesn't help the situation, contents shifting is much worse in my opinion. Use more bubble wrap and newspaper/packing nuts.

On the converse, one of my frequent trading partners uses FedEx and I have never had any problems (but he packs bomb-proof boxes as well...).

18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I know for a fact that in Pa. there is a route that the driver routinely looks for and steals certain items that are not supposed to be shipped and which he is able identify in box. Not gonna mention the company as I am sure both shippers have some bad apples, as do all companies.

All I can say is one of the "damaged" boxes from FedEx that came my way were cleaned out of all 6 bottles also supposed to be inside, had one growler in it, and there was no residue of beer on the growler. YMMV

19. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Sounds like both companies screw things up on occasion. I used UPS faithfully for my trades. The shipping store was five minutes from my house and I didn't see much of a cost difference when printing labels online. However, I shipped once again with UPS on my last trade and got the dreaded "Damaged/Destroyed" notification. I packed as well as I ever do, but I guess it happens. So I switched to FedEx and I guess I'll use them at least in the short-term future. They don't have the convenient stores but I'll go a little out of my way to ensure my boxes arrive safely. I've also heard more about FedEx returning damaged packages, whereas UPS seems content to trash everything. That can get pretty expensive, even if it only happens once.

20. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

UPS is raising prices 5% starting Jan 1 btw guys.

21. Angst

Angst Aficionado (195) California Nov 8, 2007

I've always used Fedex just because its close to where I live and never had any problems. That being said, after hearing Alpine's gripe and then reading this:
    FedEx Overcharged Customers for Years, Sealed E-Mail Says
    FedEx Corp. (FDX) has been “systematically overcharging” customers by billing businesses and government offices at higher residential rates, a company sales executive said in an internal e-mail unsealed in a lawsuit.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...d-customers-for-years-sealed-e-mail-says.html

I now might use UPS.

22. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

I work for a company that has to send out large Checks overnight daily. We only rely on FedEx. I have had only issues with ups.

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I only use FedEx. Cheaper, faster, at least from my neck of the woods. 1 box had a broken bottle and they repackaged it and forwarded to me...no flack.

I sent a box on Tuesday to CT and my trader got it yesterday! Fast?;)

Djsaturn1 likes this.
  24. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

From my experiences FedEx is faster, cheaper, and has never lost or damaged any of my 100+ packages.

Djsaturn1 likes this.
  25. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

FedEx: It's cheaper, gets to my recipient/me 1 day faster usually and one guy that works at the FedEx office store caught me shipping beer only to tell me how to pack it better (knowing their processes) and told me to take it to their other office 2 blocks away because they don't ask questions. I'll keep my business at FedEx until they prove me otherwise.

Djsaturn1 and chase2634 like this.
  26. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

Fedex. Well over 100 trades using Fedex without issue.

Djsaturn1 likes this.
  27. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I've always used fedex. I'm friendly with the drop-off people, the drop off is super convenient and prices are lower than UPS.

28. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I use UPS mostly, because they are closer and I have had issues with FedEx. That said I still ship FedEx sometimes as they are a bit cheaper.

29. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

same here and I have never had a single issue!

Doh!Hope I didn't jinx myself.........

Cheers

30. DmdJoe

DmdJoe Initiate (15) Feb 2, 2013

I have both a UPS and Fedex account....BUT sign up for Unishippers. Google it... Send them your bills to show you have good rates with fedex. They will provide 10% cheaper rates, then go back to fedex with your unishipper quote and they will beat it again.... just what you have to do sometime! why let them have your money if you dont have to...

31. I had UPS deliver these 2 leakers to my house this week. Both were still moist and the bottoms were blowing out.

[​IMG]

32. Denoas

Denoas Aficionado (215) New York Jan 22, 2013

UPS for me. I've shipped about 15-20 packages and no problem at all. I do package the bottles like they're going to be thrown off a cliff.