1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

FedEx Shipment exception

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mwrecording, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hey all,

I was away on a beach trip this weekend and when I got around to checking the packages I sent out last week I noticed that one had been held because it was damaged(at the location 25 minutes from where I dropped it off)
    This particular box was just a random small box I put together for a friend without him knowing.

I havent gotten any calls from FedEx and I've sent 3 boxes since, one in transit still and 2 already delivered so I'm guessing my account isn't flagged(my real worry here)

I intend right now to forget about the damaged box(nothing too special in it) and just continue on as I fear if I call about the damaged box they'll ask me about the alcohol and flag my box.

Any insight or thoughts?

Wrote this on my phone so I apologize for any weird errors

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Normally they just re-package it and send it back to you. I've heard of them doing this even with beer. I'm surprised there's not a message or any info on the tracking number that says"return to sender". I just recently had this happen and they shipped it back to me. I wouldn't worry at all about your account being flagged.

BobsLiquors and chugalug06 like this.
  3. Yeah fedex gives your beer back to you. UPS throws it in the dumpster.

4. I think "flagging an address" lies somewhere between mythical and extremely rare. Your call - if there is anything worth salvaging, a phone call can't really hurt. If it's truly just some cheap locals and half of them broke, then sure, just let it go.

FishPondManager and mwrecording like this.
  5. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

No worries about your account being flagged, I had this happen to me a few weeks ago and I've sent out 4 boxes successfully since then

6. Thanks for all the responses, the box was just a few local bottles he likes and can't get anymore, if they return the box to me fine if not, oh well.

Glad to hear everyone seems to be sure I won't have any further account issues.

Thanks again for the replies.

7. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Agreed. Has anyone actually ever had their fed ex account "flagged" or is that all hearsay?

Beeryurt likes this.
  8. I think I had a more unfortunate experience. I've been flagged by Fedex for a similar incident last week, they sent me a letter from a paralegal stating that I am not allowed to ship alcohol unless I fill out the proper paperwork and that I need to call my account representative to 'fix' this situation or face consequences. I can find the exact letter somewhere around here, scan it and post it to show what it stated. I think the thing with me is I signed up for a Fedex account whereas some others who didn't have any issues just mailed from a retail location.

9. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I'd like to see yours. I got a letter too but it didn't seem that serious. Did yours have a checklist of reasons the shipment was "exceptioned"?

10. Yep. It was definitely check-listed and mentioned that I had to contact them to resolve this situation..

11. Me too, just yesterday. Hello UPS!

12. How soon did you get the letter after the damaged box?

13. 7-10 days it seemed.

14. Guess I'll find out soon...I dont even know where a UPS is around here really.

15. Just create a new account and new user ID and use your girlfriend's name instead :)

mwrecording likes this.
  16. What's the "consequence"? Another mildly threatening letter? My gut says this is more legal CYA in case you ever run into legal hot water for shipping beer. At least Fedex can say they actively warned you when they found it out.

17. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Yeah, I got one of those letters, got freaked out and shipped a couple boxes with UPS, then got over it and went back to me evil ways with Fedex (using the same account). I've shipped a bunch of boxes with no trouble since then.

dumptruck81 and franklinn like this.
  18. But did any of your future beer shipment break and did you get any warning or other form of consequence for the 2nd infraction? I think the issue is what happens AFTER they send the letter and catch you shipping beer again? That's what I want to know.

19. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

Can't help you there. I've never had a bottle break, so hopefully I won't find out (the first time was caused because I made the mistake of shipping a half acre bottle - they have a suspect capper, so the cap launched itself mid transit and drenched the box).

20. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

People, let this be a lesson to you all, to line your boxes with garbage bags. It's not that hard, it's cheap, and it prevents problems like this from happening (in most cases). I had a bottle explode in transit recently, but nothing leaked outside of the bag, and the box was still delivered.

21. ..no such thing about Fedex flagging. You would have to be doing some heavy law breaking for this to happen. Shipping drugs,weapons,bullets, or even worse. And the phone call that you would receive wouldn't be from Fedex. Try US Marshals or DEA. I think your in the clear.

22. uvm2003

uvm2003 Savant (340) Pennsylvania Oct 1, 2006

I got a similar letter, but interestingly it had nothing to do about calling to rectify. I had sent out 4 boxes for a group BIF and a growler broke in transit. They repackaged the remaining bottles and shipped it back to me (and charged me for the regular shipping).

I'm interested to hear that they really don't 'flag' account as I'd prefer to ship fedex when possible but am weary because of the letter. Good luck, OP.

23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I am not sure where it comes from that they don't but Fedex told me they absolutely CAN flag an account as suspicious shipper. Now whether they do in practice is a different story. I was told my account would NOT be flagged even though I admitted to shipping alcohol. My issue was a driver theft of 2 packages so a bit different than typical as from what I was told it is VERY rare.

24. csano

How did you figure out that it was driver theft and not, say, packages stolen after it was delivered?

25. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Because it was tendered at the pack and ship by a FedEx driver and never made it to the hub. The driver told the pack and ship the hub discovered alcohol. I called FedEx just to play dumb and see if I could get my bottles back. They researched the tracking numbers and discovered it never made it to the hub in the first place. They launched a full investigation and don't know the specifics but I do know they paid me $268 plus refunded my shipping on two boxes which is what I stated value to be, they even told me to use eBay prices if I had to but I didn't do that. Hell they added an additional $10 in packing supplies as well. They told me I was free to ship with them whenever I like as from THEIR standpoint I never actually shipped beer that was discovered. Of course they told me not to do so (off the record he told me if I shipped with an adult signature tag they likely would send it through even if beer was found). There is a lot of confusion with them of what is and is not allowed where. I was told different things by the various employees I spoke to....7 in all. Anyway, that's how!

26. dimce

dimce Aficionado (160) California Aug 24, 2011

As far as being "flagged", I believe my account has technically been flagged. For awhile I was going trade crazy and was getting at least 1 box a week sometimes 2. Had no issues with FedEx before, then I noticed some of my boxes were not making it to my door despite tracking info stating "on vehicle for delivery". I'd see the FedEx guy park his truck and make his rounds, but he'd skip my house. Later the tracking info would say something along the lines of damaged goods, sending back to shipper. Then would go into detail stating improper shipment. From then on, my FedEx guy sent back 5 of my following boxes. And I had to have my traders send it back via USPS or UPS and had no problems

So then I was pretty fed up and decided to investigate. I called my local FedEx is played dumb. They told me that the box was somehow damaged and is being sent back automatically. Some were still in my city but still on vehicle so I was able to stop them and pick them up. They were sent to a I guess you can say FedEx HQ (very large, like a COSTCO). Desk at entrance where I had to show ID and all that mess. I pretended I didn't know what was in it. Employee there just wanted to check that I was 21 or over before anything. She then said that my boxes contained alcohol and that they needed someone over 21 to sign for them...but they never got to my door??? Then she stated since the employee delivering found out there was alcohol, he automatically kept it. How the FedEx guy knew there was alcohol, I have no clue. Then the employee at the FedEx HQ said I need and alcohol license to ship and receive liquor/alcohol. She said she could help me with it, but I didn't want to get involved further at that point, just wanted my beers and get out.

I then tested to see if my FedEx guy would open my stuff again a month later and sure enough he did. I don't know how he knew, either my account had been flagged or the big, heavy, used, massively taped boxes were a dead giveaway. And it's the same FedEx employee every time that drops off to my community.

Interestingly enough, I've never had any of my boxes I've shipped out ever been sent back to me and I always ship FedEx. Not saying my shipping and packaging is better than others, in fact it's exactly the same as ones I receive. If the BA I'm trading with ships FedEx, I give my parents' address which is a 15min drive from my house so it all works out I guess.

All in all I guess I'm trying to say my account has been "flagged" in one way or another.

27. csano

Wow, so you dropped it off at some 3rd party store and it never even passed through the FedEx system? That's balls, man.

28. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

One of my trading partners has been flagged by FedEx or at least was last time we traded. My package came back to me completely unharmed except for the fact that it had been opened and then re-taped. He said a few other packages suffered a similar fate. I re-sent UPS and had no issues.

29. To add to the original post, another box of mine was held up today in the state the trader lives
    in. He's on his way to pick up the box, they said they removed the damaged item. Waiting for more.

30. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (300) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

Just got my letter today, complete with the check boxes and paralegal title. Again, I'm most interested to see what happens if you have ANOTHER box flagged or stopped for some reason. I've sent two boxes out since I had a box stopped enroute for a broken bottle. They sent the remaining bottles back to me as well, which was nice.

31. I've still never got anything...even a call asking "hey, this box didn't leave your state because it was leaking, any thoughts on what to do with it?/why are you shipping beer?" about a different situation.

32. I got the letter today. Package made it all the way to recipients local driver, was on the truck, then I got the exemption. Came back with no damage and no leaks, what gives? Why would he have opened it? No sounds of liquid, no leaks, no smells. Is it possible shipper was flagged? I'm baffled.

33. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

In my experience, what happens when alcohol is discovered completely depends on the location. I had one box make it all the way to the state of my receipient, only to be opened and everything was tossed. Another time, a bottle broke before it left my state; box was repacked and sent back to me.

34. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (720) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

I had a pretty solid experience with FedEx when I had a bottle break in December. I saw the exception the day it was supposed to be delivered and it was at the nearest facility to my shipping target. I called FedEx to see what's up and they informed me something broke. I nicely asked them if they could still continue it on since it's so close to the destination and they agreed to do that. They also sent me a claim form to get reimbursed for the damage. I decided what the hell and sent in the claim form claiming "collectable bottles" broke. All they did was send me a claim rejection letter for "shipping alcohol". That was the end of it.

35. I had 2 bottles freeze recently and break. When the first one broke I got the exception noticed so I called FedEx to see what happened. The lady I got asked me if I was shipping soda. I said I was so she said they were sending it back to me. I asked if they could just deliver the remaining contents. They said they would. Then I got a voicemail a few hours later saying that a second bottle broke and they discovered it was beer, not soda. They told me my options were to have the contents destroyed or the recipient could come pick up the remaining cans. Got the letter, haven't shipped a box since then. I may switch to ups or just not use an account.

36. Has anyone actually had a package shipped back? I just got the call today about a package stuck in Chicago. They opened in saw it was beer. They claim that they will ship it back but I am not holding my breath.

37. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I have had 2 boxes shipped back to me. One was damaged the other was flagged. I've sent about 50 boxes via FedEx since then. No worries. Cheers!

38. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

The FedEX drivers are taking up arms! Pretty soon all our boxes will be stolen and FedEX drivers will be kings of the craft beer universe...

39. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Hey, liberating and smoking the best ganja in the country gets you thirsty.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  40. hope all worked out for you man