1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FedEx Shipment exception

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by mwrecording, Jul 26, 2012.

1. I just had one from Chicago come back unharmed. They will ship back.

2. Yep. My FedEx tracker shows that is is being returned on Tuesday.

3. Mine is coming back from Chicago on wednesday. Whats going on in Chicago that they are finding the beer?

4. Anyone ever have the delivery date go from the day you viewed it (package is on truck for delivery), to N/A?

example... Box was placed on truck for delivery roughly 8am this morning. as of 4pm the estaimted delivery date (2/12/2013) went to N/A. I guess this means it will show up tomorrow instead. seemed like an odd time for N/A to show up.

5. Yeah, that box isn't getting delivered. The driver probably dropped it and something cracked.

You should call right away and see if they can ship it back. Otherwise it is a crapshoot as to whether it gets dumped or shipped back.

6. Really damn! It was so close! This is the second try from the same trader too. I am the recipient unfortunately

7. Update: FedEx showed up at 8 pm for some reason. Dropped my box off and made my night. I was going to call them tomorrow morning but I guess I got lucky! Score!

8. Here is what a package looks like that comes back from Chicago. If it was at all legible, you would see that someone wrote "Illegal Alcohol Shipment" with a sharpie.

[​IMG]

9. I shipped out 4 Silvas, 4 Shaggys and 1 Pure Hoppiness. I got back 3 Shaggy's, 2 Silvas and the Pure Hoppiness. I would guess that one bottle of Silva leaked and someone decided to help them self to a Silva and a Shaggy. They didn't want to get greedy.

[​IMG]

10. Wow.

Fuck this dude TJ. Everything in my box was intact, and nothing missing. They must have flagged DMAN5400's address or something.

[​IMG]
    fedex by ficklenicholas, on Flickr

11. You got "Improper", I got "Illegal".

12. DMAN5400 is a good buddy of mine that lives about 5 minutes away from me. If you would like, please feel free to BM him and you can send it to my address. I can hold on to it for him.

13. If you read back in the thread, something is happening at the Chicago Hub. A lot of boxes are not getting through to DMAN.

14. I read back and checked it out, I wonder if his address is flagged.... I recently received a package about a week or so ago no problem.

15. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

Yeah I recently (this week) had a package shipped back to me from FedEx because of "improper shipment". The box destination was Chicago. Everything inside was still perfectly intact and nothing was removed, which was great. I shipped that box back out the next day via UPS...hopefully it makes it.

Wondering if something really in going on at the Chicago hub.

16. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Hmm. Just shipped a 30lb box of beer to a buddy in Chicago, and it made it through with flying colors. Makes me nervous about the next one, though.....

17. Recently sent a growler and a piece of glassware via FedEx. I got an update saying it was on truck for delivery, followed shortly be an exception notice. Interesting thing is that they sent the piece of glassware back in a different, smaller box. What happened to the growler is a mystery.

18. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

I had 2x boxes make it through to a Chicago partner in the last couple of weeks. Is it possibly just linked to just one person?

19. I had a box go to Chicago and another go through Chicago to Iowa in the last few weeks both with absolutely no problems. The idea that FedEx can tell its beer seems far fetched. And they can't possible inspect every box there. I think a few addresses have got to be flagged by an employee(s). They help themselves and send it back.

Unless FedEx is all TSA on us now and is using XRay scanners

20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Image of TJ from Chicago's FedEx hub that I found:

[​IMG]

JustXBeer and ficklenicholas like this.
  21. Same thing happened to me. Came back with red sticker, illegal alcohol. Nothing damaged. I think flagged addresses is the problem. Time to go UPS.

22. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I received my first exception notice last week: the package made it all the way from LA to my recipient's city, Cleveland, before it was marked as "damaged, returning package to shipper." Got all the way back to LA, where it's sat for the last 6 days. I've been making daily calls to FedEx attempting to find a way to recover the box so I can ascertain whether there's anything salvageable inside, but I'd been getting completely different answers from everyone I spoke with. Finally learned today that the package was ultimately thrown out after sitting in the Los Angeles facility for a few days.

So the lesson for me was that while theoretically they were shipping back, actually getting my hands on it was a completely different story. People have obviously had very different experiences though, and I don't know if there's a consistency to how FedEx handles these things.

23. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Damn, all this shit worries me now. I've never had a problem, I'm surprised at all these stories.

24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I can say that UPS definitely dumps your stuff.

25. Wilb

Wilb Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 18, 2011

I had my first exception from FedEx today. I spoke with them and they are shipping the remaining contents back to my company. They did not seemed bothered by the beer. The trade was with dipaguy and I am shipping out a new box this weekend so he is not delayed his end of the trade more than necessary. I'm curious to see what remains since it was bubble wrapped and double boxed. Zip lock and garbage bagged from now on.

26. Where were you shipping to?

27. Wilb

MI to FL. First time in several trades in and out of BA. I also ship $1000s of dollars of work related equipment per year. I usually get a few exceptions of inbound equipment per year and a few that I have to refuse to accept related to work. In this case they were surprisingly easy to work with this incident. The important part is getting the beer shipped that I committed in trade. I also shipped to CA x2 and RI this week.

28. Wilb

The important part is being able to supply the agreed beers or agreed upon replacements when this happens. The way I look at it is, I made a deal to provide my end of the bargain. There is a certain amount of risk in shipping alcohol that should not be absorbed by the recipient. I plan on making this right so I do not damage my reputation as a trader. An agreed trade is the same as giving "your word", which is a valuable agreement. IMO

29. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Last week I shipped to Chicago and had one shipped to me from Chicago with no problems..Got Lucky I guess

30. So I shipped via fedex a box with a Pt5, KBS, FBS, Wake and Bake, Peruvian Morning and Bourbon Barrel Aged, and it was damaged, then returned, now its being held by FedEx. They said I need to file a claim to get the box released. Any advice?

31. File a claim.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  32. Just admit its beer? Im inclined to do this, because they sent it back after something was damaged rather than just trash it.

33. "Collectible glassware"

34. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

Had 2 incidents regarding Chicago in a matter of 2 weeks. One was from me and was in Chicago, when I the tracking said it was damaged, and being returned to shipper. The other was a box being sent to me, and the shipper was called an hour later to come pick it up, as they suspected alcohol. I received my box intact, and everything in it. And the warning letter from FedEx Legal. I've received a box from FedEx since, so I dont think my address is flagged. But I do think something's up with Chicago.

35. Sorry to revive an old thread. Just wondering how people that had something sent back did in the future with shipping stuff....did pretty much everything get sent back or were you able to keep trading?

36. nc41

I had a box busted FX going to Ca, they just asked me to come get it and said shipping beer was against the rules. A whole case of bombers of Creme Brulee, if it was a case of killer stouts it would have disappeared I bet, being it was shitty beer they gave it back.

37. And you've been able to ship fine ever since?

38. nc41

Yes I have, I guess they don't red flag a person. I've shipped FX exclusively for the last year, and they're cheaper than UPS too.

fire34fighter likes this.
  39. Good to know....Got 10 trades in and have my first box coming back to me today after it was damaged...I thought I packed it really well so I'm interested to see how it comes back...Am I okay to go back to fedex tomorrow with the same package, or should I go through UPS to ship it this time?