FedEx Shipping Price Adjustmetns

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ACESFULL, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ACESFULL

ACESFULL Aficionado (110) Illinois Sep 13, 2011

So I have sent close to 20 packages out from trades to BIF's & never had any sort of adjustment to the pricing that was FedEx calls its "estimate" any rate just shipped a box w/i the state of IL & had it adjusted $9 more than what was supposed to be. The weight wasnt an issue as I use a scale to weigh. Anyone had this happen before (my search came up dry) & would I have any luck calling to complain about it or just deal with it?

2. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (420) California Jan 15, 2010 Verified

Sometimes they'll readjust the shipping cost if the box sizes are off, this happens quite often to me.

3. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Savant (370) New York May 24, 2007 Verified

It happens from time to time (rarely in my favor :( ). After reading your post I went online any most recent shipment had changed from ~$70 to $80.11.

4. ACESFULL

Seems this is common or at least happens more than I thought. Any chance calling them to find out why? Also why I wasnt notified outside of checking my bank statement?

5. Are you sure this has never happened to you before? I constantly get pricing changes - it simply depends if they measure/weigh the box or not. A human is never going to be as accurate as their computers, unless you put in painstaking effort to measure/weigh.

You can definitely call them and ask, but there isn't much to say. It's pretty standard...

6. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (715) Indiana Nov 29, 2007 Verified

I usually don't see it until it hits my account on My FedEx or whatever. I've had adjustments, but usually when I mark a box at 25lb and it ends up being 35lb. There seems to be a considerable markup after around 25lb. I could be wrong, but it sure does seem that way.

7. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

In a related question - does anyone know when FedEx does put in a price adjustment, do they aways update the weight of the package? I almost always put thru my packages at nice round numbers - 15, 20, etc. If a package is reported in the tracking history as 27.4, I know it was weighed and there will be a price adjustment. But I don't track my credit card statements close enough to know whether there could have been a price adjustment without someone actually updating the package weight.

8. ACESFULL

Yes I can say that for certain. I went back and checked 20 packages sent & not 1 adjustment, thats why the $10 adjustment was a bit concerning. But if this is what is common for most I should expect it more.

9. goodstrongbeer

goodstrongbeer Aficionado (220) Illinois Mar 29, 2009 Verified

Do you remember if it was a large box?

Since you sound like a stickler for the details, here is the Length and Girth formula (which maybe they apply more readily when their trucks are packed for the holidays) :

Length + Girth = L + (2 x W) + (2 x H) length=longest side

A package weighing less than 30 lbs. (13.5 kg) and measuring greater
    than 84 inches (213.36 cm), but equal to or less than 108 inches
    (274.32 cm) in length and girth is classified by FedEx Ground as an
    Oversize 1 (OS1) package. The shipping charges for an OS1 package will
    be the same as a 30-lb. (13.5 kg) package being shipped under the same
    circumstances.
    A package weighing less than 50 lbs. (22.5 kg) and measuring greater
    than 108 inches (274.32 cm), but equal to or less than 130 inches
    (330.2 cm) in length and girth is classified by FedEx Ground as an
    Oversize 2 (OS2) package. The shipping charges for an OS2 package
    will be the same as a 50-lb. (22.5 kg) package being shipped under the
    same circumstances.
    A package weighing 150 lbs. (68 kg) or less and measuring greater than
    130 inches (330.2 cm) in length and girth is classified by FedEx Ground
    as an Oversize 3 (OS3) package. The shipping charges for an OS3
    package will be based on the greater of the package’s actual rounded
    weight or a 90-lb. (40.5 kg) minimum billable weight. An oversize charge
    per package will also apply to any package measuring greater than
    130 inches (330.2 cm) in length and girth.

dimension includes a fraction, a fraction of one-half
    or greater will be rounded up; less than one-half
    will be rounded down to the next whole number.

creepinjeeper and franklinn like this.
  10. ACESFULL

It wasnt a huge box a touch bigger than a case of bomber bottles would fit in. Just seems odd thats all. Maybe with it being close to the holidays & your example of trucks being packed could cause this. I just have never had it happen & this was a BIG adjustment IMO.

11. goodstrongbeer

goodstrongbeer Aficionado (220) Illinois Mar 29, 2009 Verified

Then call them up and see why they adjusted it, maybe another package got stuck on the scale with yours. Tell them you weighed it properly, and they will probably reverse the adjustment.

12. hwy395

hwy395 Savant (360) California Jan 20, 2012 Verified

If you guys are shipping by any method other than ground, you have to take into account the dimensions of the box. For instance if you ship a nice box of Pliny from Cali to a BA in CT in a box with the dimensions of
    16 x 16 x 16, the weight of the box is considered to be 22 lbs ( rounded up from 21.3333 lbs ) by FedEx even if the box itself only weighs 16 pounds, hence the adjustment on your bill. The formula is L x W x H / 192 for domestic shipments / 166 for international shipments. If you ship ground this formula does not apply, but I wouldn't make my guy wait a week for his fresh Pliny !