1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Feds reduce Redhook Brewery fine in fatal keg explosion

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by barknee, Nov 26, 2012.

1. barknee

barknee Savant (250) New York Oct 5, 2004

When we lost Ben Harris, a much respected and liked craft beer man earlier this year in April, the news of the tragedy was posted in another thread here, followed by an update from Todd on 4/27 who posted a statement from Redhook.
    The following link provides an update to the investigation as well as some disappointing news relating to the 14 alleged serious violations of workplace safety standards at that facility.
    It appears, as is usually revealed in hindsight, that this tragedy was unquestionably avoidable.
    We will remember you brother.
    http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20121121-NEWS-121129933

2. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

It is still mind-boggling that there were no regulators on the air lines of the keg cleaning equipment.

3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

It's a fuct up situation, but I feel even worse that his death has to be quantified in dollars.

4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

His family will probably get a reduced settlement because the keg he was filling wasn't even a Redhook one. I'm sure he wasn't following proper procedures if he was cleaning a keg that CLEARLY did not belong to the brewery (Redhook does not use plastic kegs). It'll be a case where the plaintiff is a certain percentage negligent and the factory is negligent... settled out of court and with a sealed amount.

Pretty dumb not to have regulators though. My $10 bike pump has one.

tronester and thecraftculture like this.
  5. I was thinking the same thing...

6. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I love when the Feds get involved

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (860) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

And still there's a lot of people on here who think the beer industry should be de-regulated. :(

8. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Every death that isn't "natural" is essentially avoidable. It's a horrible tragedy and obviously a great loss for those who were close to him, but money is not the solution. Let's use Ben's life to further improve the way small breweries operate -- as a brewer, that's a legacy that I would love to have.

smutty33 and KansasBeerLover like this.
  9. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (335) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

Since this is an OSHA violation, I don't think deregulation comes into play.

Amen!