1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Feel the Burn: Stone Brewing Co. Releases Crime & Punishment

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

ESCONDIDO, CA (Nov. 4, 2013) – It takes a certain kind of person to drink a beer infused with the world’s boldest, fiery chilies – they are called masochists. Only those at the center of a Venn diagram combining pain-seeking individuals, the most audacious beer enthusiasts, and avid chile lovers have the palate stamina and discerning taste to handle such a beer. If you’re not anywhere in this Venn diagram, you should heed this as a warning and stay far, far away (especially those who have a penchant for whimpering and whining in online forums). However, for those who dare sample two insanely intense beers: You’re in for something special…and both unforgettably and unforgivingly spicy.

This chapter of the #LiquidArrogance story started back in 2010, when Stone Brewing Co. CEO and Co-founder Greg Koch decided to ruin a beautiful bourbon barrel-full of Lukcy Basartd Ale by dumping a variety of chile peppers from his personal back-yard garden into the beer. That was a criminal act. Concurrently, Greg annihilated another delicious beer by adding more of his estate-grown chile peppers into an oak barrel-aged batch of Double Bastard Ale. As a result of the elevated alcohol level, there was an increased transference of pain-inducing capsicum into the beer. It was punishingly hot. With these discoveries, the beers were naturally named Crime and Punishment. Since these beers are near and dear to Greg’s heart — and to the tiny fraction of the populace that fit in the aforementioned Venn diagram – the beers were re-brewed this year and, thanks to the increased capacity of a new 500ml cork-finished bottling line, are being released nationally for the first time today.

With the release of these two brutal behemoths, there have been rumors circulating that one or two international human rights advocacy groups are organizing protests against Stone Brewing for engaging in “cruel and unusual” punishment. However, these reports could not be immediately verified at press time.

Any that dare to approach the beers should do so with heightened awareness and a preponderance of extreme caution.

The peppers used to create this searing duo were sourced from Stone Farms as well as other suppliers. The list of scorching edibles includes red and green jalapeño, Fatali, Caribbean Red Hot, habanero, Ghost, Black Naga, Super, Moruga Scorpion, 7 Pot, Aji Amarillo, Scorpion, Giant White Habanero, 7 Pot Douglah and Douglah peppers.

Both beers are ready to drink now, or may be properly cellared for months or years. When to open the bottles depends mostly on the procrastination level of the imbiber.

This is the first time that Stone has released beers from their limited Stone Quingenti Millilitre Series for national distribution. Previously, they were only available at special events and Stone Company Stores in Southern California. These releases also mark the unveiling of Stone’s barrel-aging program, which the beer company has been ramping up significantly since first barrel aging its beers in 1996. It’s no surprise that Stone has been barrel aging beers, but to what extent has heretofore been largely kept quiet. But no longer, as someone at Stone is evidently a bit of a blabbermouth.

With a new facility dedicated to the aging and bottling of these rarities, the beers may not actually be so rare in coming months. With more than 1,300 barrels, ranging from bourbon to wine, brandy to Scotch whisky and more, the company has plans to release future Stone Quingenti Millilitre Series bottles nationwide.

“Expanding our barrel-aging program to include national distribution is something we've been working towards for many years,” said Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele. “Now that we have the ability to produce more of the Stone Quingenti Millilitre Series due to our new aged and bottling facility, our fans should expect to see many new barrel-aged flavor combinations as well as some re-brews of favorites we've released in the past.”

“Barrel aging opens up a whole new spectrum of possible flavor combinations when it comes to beers,” said Stone Research and Small Batch Manager Steve Gonzalez. “You get some flavor from what was in the barrel before, whether wine or spirits, and then you get the wood flavors as well. Experimenting with various flavor combinations from the beers and the barrels is really intriguing, and I’m excited to share what we've been working on for years with our fans.”

Crime Quick Facts
    Name: Crime
    URL: http://www.arrogantbastard.com/500ml/#crime
    Stats: 9.6% ABV
    Availability: Limited 500ml bottles and draft, beginning November 4
    Hops Bill: CLASSIFIED
    Distribution: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, and WA

Punishment Quick Facts
    Name: Punishment
    URL: www.arrogantbastard.com/500ml/#punishment
    Stats: 12% ABV
    Availability: Limited 500ml bottles and draft, beginning November 4
    Hops Bill: CLASSIFIED
    Distribution: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, and WA

http://stone.com

###

corby112, Alex_Mraz and xShoWTeKx like this.
  2. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

My ass is on fire thinking about these beers! Jesus! Look at that list of peppers!

3. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Interesting that they decided to release this as their first foray into barrel aged national distro... I still have yet to try a beer with chiles though, and Stone usually being pretty reasonably priced, I might just have to pick one of these up.

4. They've been selling these at the brewery for a while. I like Crime but it hurts my heartburn worse than sours.

5. And I was just looking to see if this was coming to SC too.

6. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

How hot actually is it? They make it sound in the video like it's going to be like biting into a ghost pepper... I mean I like spicyness, just hope it doesn't overpower everything else.

7. Wasn't it just reported that Southern Charred was to be the first nationally-distributed release from the Quingenti Millilitre Series? Is there some misinformation going on here?

8. crime and Punishment aren't hot at all. You can definitely taste the peppers but it's more of the flavors not the kick. It's not like GFK or an order of lamb Vindaloo. Just a high flavor unique brew.

9. Wylde

Wylde Aficionado (230) Ohio Oct 9, 2008

Any ideas on the price for this? Pretty sure I want to try this but not if its too much, especially being a 500ml bottle

10. They were $18 at the Stone company stores.

11. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Had this beer last night and it is quite hot and in my opinion it was absolutely awful. Never liked peppers in beer though so I'm not exactly their target audience.

12. Oh man, I can't stand Stone, but this looks delicious!

13. I had these the first time. Never again! Couldn't even finish a taster sized glass. But if you love Spicy this is for you.

When I was buying Southern Charred someone was buying Crime excited to finally be trying Lucky Basartd. Good luck with that one, so many people wont even know what they're buying!

johnnieoz likes this.
  14. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (445) Illinois May 6, 2010

These sound awesome. I'll definitely be looking for them.

15. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (470) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

This will be a share. Ive only had two pepper beers, and both were a little rough. Mango Magnifico and Surly Dumpster Fire. Dumpster kicked my ass.

16. Habenero Sculpin was pretty intense. Has anybody had the Stone brews and the Habenero Sculpin? If so, how do they compare.

dianimal and Alex_Mraz like this.
  17. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Anyone know how this stacks up against Ghost Face Killah?

18. I can't wait to try these! Picking some up on monday.
    What are some other good spicy beers? I've had the Chili pepper spicy ale by Six Rivers, and it was alright.
    Looking for some other good ones for my boyfriend.

TickleMeTony likes this.
  19. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (225) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

We're supposed to be getting a keg of each at work, so I'll give it a shot. I'm not overtly optimistic (pepper beers are not my cup of tea), but Stone rarely disappoints.

Let's hope it's more Prarie Bomb than Ghostface Killah.

20. Have you had their Tropical Heat Ruination (Habanero peppers and Mangoes)? It is quite balanced for what it is, at least compared to other spicy IPAs that I've had. I prefer it over Habanero Sculpin.

21. Crime on tap was okay...I wish I hadn't paid for it. I would have much rather have had Lucky Bastard.

jcos and dianimal like this.
  22. Yeah, I kinda wish they had released Lukcy Basartd along with all of these. I love DB but I haven't had LB yet.

23. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

"stay far, far away". OK, we get it. We're not worthy. We will obey and stay away.

MarcWP likes this.
  24. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Scorpion's the one you gotta be scared of. I have some Trinidad (Scorpion) pickles in my fridge and they KILL my bowels.

gillagorilla likes this.
  25. If this comes to New Hampshire I will be shocked! We only get the normal line, not any special realises Old Guardian, RIS, Double Bastard, Anniversary Ale, Ruinten, or the Vertical series. I was very happy Enjoy By made it to New Hampshire that was progress. I would love to try these fiery beasts. Will see?

26. This could not be a more true statement.

27. Double Bastard is currently on NH shelves... waiting on final state approval but both these beers will be in the Granite state ... IRS in 2014 as well as Ruin Ten and others....

28. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I'm not a fan of super spicy beers and will be staying away from these.

Are they going to bring back Lukcy Basartd? I couldn't get enough of that last year!!

29. Wow awesome news, I won't have to travel to Mass for these anymore. So happy thanks for the information! Seriously such great news!

FarmingtonRiver likes this.
  30. I believe they will, but we will not be seeing it this year. (Friend of a Stone Rep)

dianimal likes this.
  31. Alextricity

"Lukcy Basartd" just pisses me off every time I see it.

Dat deliberate misspelling.

32. The price tag for these is not something I want to pay for potential drainpours.

johnnieoz, Hatzilla and mcrago like this.
  33. Spinaltapped

Spinaltapped Aficionado (225) Iowa Oct 24, 2013

Just saw a video via email about how spicy it is. Arg. I think I'm going to try samples first. It seems REALLY spicy.

34. These were pretty gross when I had them at Oakquinox many years back.

jasonmason, Earlycsquid and dianimal like this.
  35. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (480) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Just what I expected and was not at all interested in buying these. My only interest lies with the Southern Charred. What's the word on that?

36. It's supposed to be released nationally as well...my state made the website distro list but the guys at all three of my local shops said their vendor told them our state wasn't getting any. So either my local vendor or Stone is mistaken (hopefully the vendor)

37. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (635) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

How ironic!

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  38. Alextricity

...well, no shit. That was the point. :rolleyes:

39. I WA
    S FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO TRY TROPICAL HEAT RUINATION, WITH MANGIOS AND PEPPERS, ON DRAFT IN VERMONT AND IT WAS INCREDIBLE. KEEP THE SPICY STUFF COMING

40. $17.49 at my local BevMo and grabbed Punishment though still looking for the Charred.