1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Feel the Burn: Stone Brewing Co. Releases Crime & Punishment

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

"HA!" - Ms. Krabappel

2. Just picked up a few bottles of each..l'll keep ya'll posted!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. I'd say Crime and Punishment are at least as intense as HabaƱero Sculpin. I wouldn't be surprised at all fit the Stone beers were spicier. The Sculpin is lighter/crisp and Punishment a little thicker with a little bit of sweetness. Crime somewhere in the middle. I personally love super spicy food so I really enjoy all three beers. Not for everyone I learned after serving at a BBQ. Hope that helps. Cheers!

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Damn. Sounds like stones reputation for affordable beers is going to hell.

TickleMeTony likes this.
  5. josmickam

josmickam Savant (250) Georgia Apr 19, 2013

Has anyone seen these in Kentucky? I haven't seen them in any of the beer stores that usually receive most releases.

6. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

You're not alone. I haven't seen any of them here in Sacramento, CA either..

7. I know Roseville is a stretch but maybe the WF there...?

8. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (390) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

What, no Scoville ratings?

9. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (555) Texas Jul 13, 2013

I'd never spend that much on a beer that is getting such poor reviews. Considering I'm not a fan of that level of spiciness, I probably wouldn't buy them even if they were getting great reviews though.

johnnieoz likes this.
  10. Had Crime at a family Thanksgiving party. I'm a huge fan of spicy food, and this didn't disappoint in the spiciness department. Flavor was pretty much all pepper up front though -- not the heat, the actual pepper flavor (smoky, vegetal). Then the heat slowly creeps in and raises intensity on the back of the taste and lingers for a while. My only wish was that something from the base beer shone through. I didn't get any bourbon or barrel notes at all, unless they contributed some of the smoky char flavors.

I paired it with some really rich and creamy flan, and the combo was very nice.

Probably wouldn't buy a bottle again unless it was cheaper, so I'm waiting for the eventual clearance sale on these.

RummyRedbeard, StLeasy and corby112 like this.
  11. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

If it really smells and tastes like roasted raw chile peppers, I'm in for a treat :)

DeanMoriarty and oxcitypauze like this.
  12. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

If it really smells and tastes like roasted raw chile peppers, I'm in for a treat :)

13. Buzzardsuds

Buzzardsuds Initiate (0) Ohio May 27, 2013

Opened a Crime last weekend! What a change from Cave Creek Chille Beer! At least it was drinkable! Definately a sipper! Most everyone hated it! Glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll buy it again, especially at $20!

14. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (310) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Tried Crime. Completely undrinkable to me. I tried Ghostface Killah and thought nothing could be worse than that, but I think this beat it. If you love spicy beers, you're in for a treat.

15. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Actually Roseville is right in my wheelhouse, but I have not seen it anywhere there as recently as last week (Whole Foods, BevMo, TW, and Nugget). Although I would most love to run across some Southern Charred...

SanFranJake likes this.
  16. That I have yet to see, even in the Bay Area but I hear it's around in the East Bay at BevMo at $20 a pop.

17. As an aside, those of you in San Diego county who like spicy beers should also try Iron Fist's Death of a Blonde aged on vanilla and ghost chiles. VERY nice.

18. Seriously though, how are you supposed to pronounce 'Basartd.' Is it Bah-sar-ta-duh?

19. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

$19.99 each, those Bastards...
    [​IMG]
    Originally only picked up Punishment, thinking, why bother with Crime, but my willpower is quite poor in these regards.

Be drinking both tomorrow :rolleyes:

TonyJ815 and DeanMoriarty like this.
  20. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

I love chili beers, and Crime had a wonderful spice. However, the flavor was awful. It was like drinking bell pepper/jalapeno juice. I tried to like it. But its really bad.

johnnieoz likes this.
  21. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I had an opportunity to pick these up in Indianapolis a few weeks back, but at $20 a bottle I passed.

22. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Aficionado (195) Oregon Oct 22, 2010

Anyone try these yet? Supposedly they are made with quite the line up of peppers that are no joke! Do they leave ya dying or???? I was thinking about picking one of em up but I'm also not sure as to how they differ. I've consumed a dried ghost chili and good lord I was in agony for about 15 minutes, almost made it through an entire gallon of milk which ontop of being in such pain, I also had to struggle to keep all that leche down. And I wont even mention that next morning lol.....

23. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

these are lackluster, and that is putting it lightly.

jcos likes this.
  24. they're spicy as hell. they literally smell like nothing but pepper and taste about the same. save your $$.

TonyJ815 and jcos like this.
  25. IPAguy2009

IPAguy2009 Aficionado (195) Oregon Oct 22, 2010

Thanks for the info, I wouldnt expect anything less coming from stone, if it is supposed to be spicy, I dont have any doubt it is at scorching hot levels!

26. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

These beers are a real puzzler for me. (Caveat: I haven't tried them. I bought one each of Crime and Punishment, then returned them to Whole Foods after I took a quick look at the reviews.) Stone's generally known for pretty reasonable pricing on its beer. They experiment, but they don't often put out straight-up objectionable product. And if they do, they don't also charge out the nose for it. I just don't get why Stone priced these beers so high. Just seems really out of character for this brewery.

These beers might outlast Collage in the pricey shelf turd category, and Collage is actually good.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  27. You returned beers to whole foods!?

28. draheim

Sure, why not. Then I went and spent that $40 elsewhere on about 3x the beer.
    EDIT: Note that WF is overpriced, to the contrary. Just that $40 for 1 liter of beer (that's not even regarded very highly) is pretty ridiculous.

29. Eighty

Eighty Savant (365) Washington Feb 17, 2013

I never enjoyed Mike's Hard until I had one right after drinking Crime. Sweet, sweet salvation.

imbrue001, zid and Kurmaraja like this.
  30. jwhancher

jwhancher Savant (305) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2009

Just curious what others have paid for these. A buddy of mine told me he shelled out $25 a pop for these. I'd like to try them, but not at these prices.

31. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Advocate (670) Washington May 21, 2013

What makes it even more perplexing is that they released Southern Charred at the same time which is currently their HIGHEST rated beer. Perhaps it was a clever stunt by which the atrocities of Crime and Punishment serve as a backdrop for how sublime Southern Charred is?

(Note that I haven't tried any of the three, though I do have a bottle of Southern Charred waiting for consumption - picking was like Russian Roulette and, thankfully, I avoided a loaded chamber.)

32. draheim

Well the stunt backfired, on me at least. I saw Southern Charred, also priced @ $20 for a 500mL, and passed on it.

33. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Punishment is FANTASTIC when added to chili.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  34. Kurmaraja

My speculation about the stunt was sarcastic - high prices and a crap shoot on quality isn't a great marketing ploy. But if Southern Charred is as good as people say, I won't hold it against them.

35. Kurmaraja

You just have to find a way to charge $30 for a bowl of chili and you're in business.

chinochino likes this.
  36. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

Bought both. Tried Crime, poured it down the drain. Only pepper flavors, nothing else shone through. I mean, any old Scotch, Vodka, Bourbon, brandy will burn your throat but at least they have some balance. Returned Punishment the next day. What a joke, Stone. Really.

37. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

What do the Bros think? Should Stone, or any brewer, release a beer that's beyond the pale and just plain unacceptable. And then laugh all the way to the bank? I eat a lot of spicy food, but that food has varied flavors unlike these beers.

38. krustster

krustster Aficionado (230) Michigan Nov 22, 2013

Maybe they were happy with the beer they created and released it because they thought other people would like it too. Just a thought~

bozodogbreath likes this.
  39. draheim

Sell it to beer geeks?

40. Just picked up Punishment for $16. I was a little taken back considering that Stone is usually very reasonably priced.