1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Feel the Burn: Stone Brewing Co. Releases Crime & Punishment

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 6, 2013.

1. 18 bucks at stone company store/ I thought was a good price - firestone xvii was 25 bucks this year that was kinda wack

2. At least FW17 is a 22oz bottle that is known to age well. I would argue that more work goes into making that beer than these stone releases. I just don't see the allure of a highly priced barrel aged chili beer. I love hot peppers but this just seems like overkill to me, especially the abv. Alcohol + capsaicin = death.
    jahbulon, johnnieoz and Modernrickk like this.
  3. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Had punishment tonight, and this was probably the worst beer I've ever had. It brings the heat, but the taste is of peppers long forgotten in a vegetable drawer mixed with weak bourbon and double bastard. The aftertaste is brutal.
    johnnieoz likes this.
  4. Crime has this seedy component to it. Then you get some crab mustard and bong water.
    I'm glad I didn't shell out the money for it.
    jahbulon and johnnieoz like this.
  5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Fortunately I haven't had these and won't. I'm pretty much done with Stone other than Espresso Stout. It's like they are turning into a more intense version of Rogue.
  6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I have both and I'm curious about them, no way are these hotter than elevators ghost scorpion lager. That shit was the 7th circle of hell in a bottle.
  7. jcos

jcos Aficionado (205) Maryland Nov 23, 2009

I posted this elsewhere but..I like spicy food, I like stone beers..I didn't like this one at all. Split a bottle with a friend for $10, and was glad to drain pour it instead of keep working on the 8oz I had.

Maybe I should have saved it for cooking, oh well.
    Siggy125, Jameswoody and johnnieoz like this.
  8. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

I thought for a pepper beer it was decent, however i think i would have preferred it without the peppers, something to keep in mind with this one is that at least you get some of the bourbon notes and smoke, and the original sweetness of the beer coming through, i was able to easily drink the whole bottle over the course of 45min during a poker game. I have heard many complaints about this beer, and I have to agree that it is a novelty and not somethiing i would buy again. However, I also must state what were we expecting it is Stone, they dont push the envelope, the destroy the envelope. What I think we have to consider is this, why make regular BA Lucky or double when they could destroy it and our pallets, all in all it is what it is, and they have no apologies, i think it is best summed up by the original statement of stone (your'e not worthy) haha
    corby112 likes this.
  9. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Savant (455) New York May 14, 2013

Saw Crime for $26, seems a bit extreme.
  10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (900) New York Aug 25, 2010

And I did --> link ;)
  11. I made the stupidest move of all. I was down in Escondido visiting my folks when these were released. The press releases said something to the effect that Southern Charred was to be released nationwide, so I figured I'd pick that up when I got back to Seattle. While visiting Stone, they had a huge cooler case filled with Charred, Crime and Punishment with a notice that it was limited (all three where $18 at Stone). Figuring it was my only chance, I bought one each of Crime and Punishment and had them shipped back home. I left the Southern Charred. When I got back to Seattle, most places still had unsold Crime and Punishment (and they are still there); there wasn't a bottle of Southern Charred to be seen. One of the bottle shops had put aside a bottle for me or I would have been completely skunked on that one. It kills me to realize that I was just standing next to a cooler with hundreds of bottles of Charred and passed it up. Talk about bad judgement....
    I haven't cracked them yet, but you all are not being very encouraging.
  12. johnnieoz

johnnieoz Savant (295) Texas Feb 11, 2005

Can't wait till Greg Koch or someone replies...I read in BA Magazine that Stone had understood that the End of Extreme Beer was here, they were at the forefront of this new phase of craft beer, that all their shtick was in their marketing only etc. Well, these two beers (Crime & Punishment) sank that battleship. Sad.

If as "promised" either of these are actually available next year, I'm betting and hoping they won't be, I promise to buy one and pour it down the drain again.
  13. I found a bottle of Crime last week and picked up Punishment and Southern Char today. I loved Twisted Pine GFK(wallabee champ!) so I'm really excited to try these. Plan on splitting the chili beers with four or five other guys.
  14. WallyHop

WallyHop Initiate (0) Kentucky Nov 25, 2013

I haven't seen them yet, but I do know we have gotten the Stone Smoked Porter w/ Vanilla beans and Southern Charred.
  15. iccccceman

iccccceman Aficionado (130) Georgia Sep 18, 2009

Picked up Punishment for ~18 because the SO has been bugging me about finding a spicy beer. The spice definitely delivered but the smell of the beer and subsequent burps were brutal. We got about halfway through the bottle before we just gave up. I liked the spicy but hated the smell.
  16. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

These beers look to be leading contenders for worst beers of the year.
  17. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Best reference I've seen on here...lol!
    corby112 likes this.
  18. I didn't think Punishment was spicy at all. It just tasted horrible. I like Double Bastard, but this was bad.
    Ristaccia likes this.
  19. montman

montman Aficionado (215) Virginia Mar 10, 2009

Geez, I picked up a bottle of Crime yesterday and was initially excited. Although a little less so now, some of the reviews are kinda brutal, guess I'll see for myself.
  20. My store has both but only a couple of each since they are 19.99 on sale.
  21. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

Rather than drainpour it I tried to make chili with it. Wasted another few bucks when I dumped the chili. Terrible. I generally like Stone beers - not my absolute favs but usually solid. This was a SOLID RIPOFF.
  22. Chidecki

Chidecki Initiate (20) New Jersey Dec 17, 2013

Guess I should coat my stomach before drinking my bottle of Crime...:D
  23. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

A little too spicy for my liking. I think Central Waters Space Ghost was much better balanced and enjoyable. Anyone can fire up food or drink by stuffing tons of hot peppers into the mix. A tasty fine balance is more impressive.