Fermentation "chamber" smells fishy

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by peter831, Feb 8, 2013.

1. A week ago thursday I brewed a IPA/APA and had some serious fermentation within 24 hrs, and it blew off some steam in the fermentation chamber through the air lock, so I had to put on a blow off tube (plastic 5 gal bucket).

so I decided to give it a shake as well before putting it back in the chamber.

The chamber has solid insulation (but the aluminum cover is torn) on the all sides and I am wondering if some of the "beer" is souring one the sides or the floor.

now the air smells pretty bad, beer may have a slight sour taste.

Its not done, started at about 1.054 and is at about 1.018 and should be should finish at about 12.

I brewed again today, (thats when i noticed the smell) and I hope my next batch is not going to "catch the cold".

Bummer

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Concentrated CO2 plus fermentation aromas that are scrubbed off can make a smelly/burning combination. What does the air smell like?

3. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Nothing to be done but clean up as best you can and let the beer finish up. Some yeasts can smell pretty funky at certain points in the process, so it could be nothing. But I'd want to know that for sure before I put any more beer in there.

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I got the same rotten fish smell in my fridge when I had a blow off that erupted through my blow off container spilling yeast and starsan on the floor of the fridge. Give it a good lean and you'll be fine. Beer should be fine as well.

5. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

if by fishy you mean strange then relax. CO2 and fermemtation can sometimes smell unusual and unpleasant. but its just part of the natural process. yeast are bugs after all.

if by fishy you mean like the dumpster at an Arizona Red Lobster then your probably not going to enjoy this beer. keep it sanitary, always keep it sanitary. but just wait it out for now and see how it works. worrying won't help your beer one bit.
    Cheers.

6. sorry for the delay,
    by fishy I mean a bad night out....:(

but I think it was the material that came out of the top and not the beer,

will clean up the bottom of the chamber tomorrow

cheers

peter