1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FfaC LIF - ISO: A female, wife, g/f, relative who's faced breast cancer & kicked/is kicking its ass

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by leschkie, Oct 2, 2012.

1. leschkie

leschkie Savant (495) California Jan 30, 2011

I love what Russian River does every year with proceeds to Framboise for a Cure, and I want to continue their good example by giving away bottles of FfaC to those females, wives, significant others, or family relatives who (i) enjoy raspberry sours and (ii) have been affected by breast cancer and has either given it a good whoopin' or is currently being treated. I currently have some bottles for this LIF already, and plan to make another trip up there specifically for this to send out as much as I could.

I myself have a family member who is a breast cancer survivor and just finished her medications for good just this year, and I couldn't be proud of her. So, please, I encourage your special someone or yourself, if applicable, to share your story of victory so that we can all celebrate as a community together. I will try to personally send out as many bottles as I can to those who reply or send me a BM, and I encourage any other bay area BAs with a bottle or two to spare to join me in this initiative.

Cheers, and I salute you all for your bravery and courage! Kurtis

2. My mother in law is a breast cancer survivor, has had a double mastectomy and had her ovaries removed in an effort to keep it from coming back. So far so good. My wife though, carries the same gene that caused her mother to get it in the first place. So it's somewhat of a crazy high chance she winds up with it as we'll by the time she's 60. We've been told to to try to have kids as soon as possible and when we're done to have her ovaries removed also to help her chances of not getting sick. We just had our first baby, a girl, so obviously we're concerned that the gene has been passed down once again.

Fuck you cancer.

3. Leschkie strikes again with another ridiculous show of generosity and good will that shames us all...cheers, man.

4. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I shared my story with Kurtis, but will share it with you all as well.

I lost my Aunt to breast cancer in the 90's. My Grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 and had a double mastectomy in 2005. She beat cancer seven years ago and during that time was an inspiration for me as she never once complained or got upset at the situation.

My mom has had some scares in the past, but nothing as serious as my Grandma or Aunt, thank God.

I too salute everybody who has been affected by this. Here's to finding a cure!

5. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

This is truly amazing of you. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer right after she had her first child and was devastated, However she stayed positive and tough and is now cancer free. I don't want a bottle, I just wanted to say cheers to you.

6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Very nice idea for a LIF! Unfortunately everyone in my family that gets diagnosed seems to die within a year. Cheers to all the survivors!

7. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

**No need to send beer; I've been on the receiving end of way too much of your generosity as is**

Just my mother's story:
    My family's been through a lot in the last decade, including my mother's battle with breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy (complete removal of both breasts) and a (at the time) brand-new treatment/reconstructive surgery which consisted of rebuilding her breasts (cosmetically) with ligament and tissue material from her upper back and thighs. Everything went incredibly well; she's happy, healthy, working, and in great shape, to this day. Completely cancer free going on 10 years now.

8. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Obviously I'm not entering / eligible for the LIF, but I thought I'd share my story too. It's not breast cancer -- it's ovarian cancer in this case. My mom has been battling it since 2006; at the time of the diagnosis, they gave her a 1.5-year prognosis, but she beat it and went cancer-free for 5 years.

Unfortunately, it is back for round 2 and it has spread farther, but I am confident that her strong spirit will prevail. She is on treatment and I call her often to keep her spirits up.

It is very hard watching a loved one suffer -- my condolences to everyone who has been through it, and a toast to those who survived.

9. huadog

huadog Savant (350) California May 13, 2009

Not entering / eligible either - and it was good to see you today Kurtis :) truly generous dewd.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1997 - it was a hard time for our family... she had a single mastectomy and has been in remission ever since.

Cheers to RR for their efforts and Kurtis for his generosity!

10. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Here is the story of my mom's battle with cancer. When I was a freshman in college back in 2000 my mom was diagnosed. She didn't want me to worry about her so my family decided to keep it a secret from me until the school year was almost over. They were worried I would drop out and come home. At the end of the year I did take a break from school to be closer to family and work and my mom was able to kick the breast cancer while she continued to work full time. 5 years later she was told that she was still cancer free and to celebrate her victory she trained for and completed the Susan G Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure. I couldn't have been more proud and she was able to raise a lot of money for the organization.

A few years later my dad was diagnosed with blood cancer and after thinking he had kicked it post bone marrow transplant, it came back last year. He has been fighting with it ever since and staying strong. Recently two of my parents friends died of various cancers, so to honor their friends and my dad's struggle, my nearly 60 year old mother decided to train for the Team in Training 1/2 marathon in Chicago to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Her goals were:
    1. To raise at least the minimum of $1000
    2. To no get injured
    3. To not finish last

Not only did she not finish last and not get hurt but she also raised over $3000 and averaged under 10 min/mile! My mom doesn't really drink much, but I'd love to open a bottle at dinner with my family and toast in her honor.

Thanks for the LIF, it is great to be able to share her story! Cheers to all of you and your families.

11. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2010. At the time I just graduated from college in 2009 and just moved into a apartment 6 months prior to her diagnoses. I broke my lease and moved back home to help take care for her and help pay the bills. Thankfully she caught it early (Stage 2) after 6 months of chemo and a surgery to remove the lumps and her lymph nodes she is now in remission for the past year. The picture is of me and my mom shortly after she started Chemo and I helped her buzz her head. [​IMG]

12. Very good of you for doing this! I have been fortunate enough to not have or lose anyone I was close to to breast cancer. However, my best to those who have.

13. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Savant (450) Texas Mar 5, 2010

Great LIF idea! As someone who has recently traded with Kurtis, he is definitely the epitome of a helpful and generous BA. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years ago. No one else in our family had ever had it so it was somewhat of a surprise. Anyway, it was a blessing that the doctors caught it early and my aunt requested a masectomy immediately. Post-masectomy, she was cancer free and still remains cancer free until this day. Talk about a cancer ass-kicking! You don't need to send me a bottle as I am unsure if she enjoys raspberry sours but just wanted to share her story. Cheers to Kurtis and double cheers to all the courageous women out there fighting this terrible affliction.

14. i love this idea, Kurtis.
    will you forward one of the BMs my way so i can send a bottle out in support?

15. Man, you Hammond's are a tough bunch! Such an amazing family.

16. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

also not entering but just wanted to share

mom found out she had breast cancer last year & thanks to early detection they were able to go in surgically & slice any irregularities out as well as start chemo before it spread. they found out that it's her hormone medication that was causing the unusual growth so while she has to find a different way to regulate her hypothyroidism she is now cancer-free! hooray for survivors & BA advocacy, cheers!

17. leschkie

Absolutely, thank you Krista!

And thanks to everyone thus far who have shared such inspiring stories regarding their loved ones' struggle, courage, strength, and conquest over not only breast, but other cancers as well! This is definitely a cause that a majority of us can relate to and celebrate in together as a community.

Just a quick update. Thus far we are sending out bottles of FfaC to 9 of our BA friends to share with their surviving loved ones! How awesome is that!!! And a special thank you to TheGr8BeerState, kristalynn, and another BA who wished to remain anonymous for purchasing and sending out bottles as part of this LIF. And another thank you to Shagtastic for volunteering to purchase a bottle as well.

18. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Thanks for putting this LIF together!

My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer seven years ago. She and my uncle were blown away since she was not even forty. She battled the cancer tooth and nail for over a year. She lost her job, they lost their house, filed bankruptcy, and struggled to make ends meet after she had a double mastectomy.

Fast forward six years: she is still in remission, they have a new house, she got her job back, and she has participated in the race for the cure the past four years.

Cancer sucks, but people keep kicking its butt with the help of those who care (Doctors, companies, friends, family, BAs, etc).

Leschkie, your generousity is crazy huge and I know it will not go unnoticed by your fellow BAs!

19. Not trying to get in as I do not qualify, but just want to say thank you, as my mother fought cervical cancer and kicked the shit outta it!

20. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

My grandma is a tough one. In the past 10 years, she had been diagnosed with breast cancer two separate times, and had two other types of cancer. Beat em all and continues on like a boss. She is a source of strength in the family and continually shows that you can overcome just about anything.

I've never participated in these things before, but she's German and grew up loving beer. I'd love to share this with her.

What your doing in this post is just awesome. Kudos to you!

21. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

My paternal grandmother beat breast cancer, though I don't know much of the story. Give me your FfaCs Kurtis!

22. I have had various family members and loved ones that have fought cancer, most have beat it, but not all.

Reading this thread brought a tear to my eye.

Kurtis thanks for starting this LIF, you are a real asset to this community. Thanks for all you do for BA. Also thanks for being my tasting partner, and more importantly my friend.

23. I (thankfully!) do not have an entry to contribute to this, but this is really awesome on your part to do.

24. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

This is really an inspiring thread. Cancer is one of those things that affects most everyone you've ever met, but most won't speak of it. My mother in law, who after 13 years of knowing her and after living with her for 6 years with my wife, is essentially my mother, had been diagnosed with lung cancer. After smoking for 40 plus years that might be expected. The hard part was that after radiation "zaps" she eventually had notice that it had broken apart. Good new of course... The unfortunate news was that in the diagnosis of her lung cancer progress they found a mass in her breast. they did a biopsy which turned out to be malignant as of yesterday. I'm still in a state of shock now but the stories of others kicking cancers ass gives me and my wife so much hope. It has been a roller coaster to this point to say the least...

Thanks to everyone for the stories. It helps so much to know people are going through the same thing you are...

25. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

Love this! So very generous of you, Kurtis!

26. leschkie

Thanks buddy.

But there are many other local and non-local BAs that deserve recognition for their generous contributions to this LIF: Ynot2, kristalynn, TheGr8BeerState, and 2 other BAs that personally requested to remain anonymous (you know who you are). I can't thank you guys enough for your good nature and gentle hearts!

27. leschkie

Well, we are now at the point where we are officially going to close down this LIF. For those of you interested in a final tally, we have sent out 19(!!!) bottles of Framboise for a Cure (so awesome :) ) to our BA peers to share with their mothers, mother-in-laws, aunts, wives, and grandmothers who have taken on breast cancer and have either defeated it for good, or are well on their way.

I never would have imagined that we'd be able to extend our congratulations and gratitude to so many incredibly special women through this single LIF, and we definitely would not have if it weren't for the help and generous contributions of 6 of your fellow BAs (Arbitrator, Ynot2, kristalynn, TheGr8BeerState, and 2 anonymous). Please join me in thanking these wonderful individuals for their genuine human character.

To the recipients, you should be receiving your bottles in the next 1-2 weeks (with exception to those being hand-delivered at DD). If for some reason something happens to your bottle during transit, please send me a message letting me know. Also, and please don't feel obligated to do so, but I think it would be special and enjoyable for all of us if you wouldn't mind posting a picture to this thread of you and your special someone(s) celebrating their victory and existence when you do decide to open up the FfaC with her/them.

We look forward to hearing updates to these stories next year, and new stories of breast cancer triumphs when this LIF returns next October! Until then, here's to breast cancer survival!

28. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Kurtis for president :D

29. I do not want to be considered for this. Just want to say it is awesome of you for thinking/doing this and it is great to see threads like this. My son, who just turned 17, spent the summer dealing with testicular cancer. 3 chemo treatments and one nasty abdominal surgery later and things are looking pretty good. He was so strong through the whole thing and made me so proud. Thank you again for this and thoughts going out to all those affected by this.

30. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Just wanted to give a quick update. I got my bottle on friday and had a chance to share it with my Grandmother tonight. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1984 and had to have a single masectomy. She survived and is still kicking it hard today at the young age of 95! She really enjoyed the bottle and I enjoyed the chance to drink it with her. Thank you Kurtis for this special event!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. huadog

huadog Savant (350) California May 13, 2009

if you read above you know that my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer about 17 years ago when I was in High School. Tonight I found out that 16 years ago she had stage 1 cervical cancer. Tonight I also found out along with her that she now has Melanoma Cancer in her arm. They sent the sample to Standford and the result is that she has beyond stage 1 - that's really all they know right now. Tomorrow she will speak to a doctor and and make an appointment to get a dye treatment and take 1/2"x1/2" out for more tests to see if it traveled into her lymph nodes (hopefully not). I know this month is breast cancer awareness and there are so many others out there - get your body checked people. :(

32. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

You rock Kurtis!

33. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

My mother's cousin, who (as far away and abstract as it sounds) is probably our closest family member, has been struggling with ovarian cancer for roughly three years now. She has been in remission five times, but it stubbornly keeps popping back up. We keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't end up spreading, as it could all be over very soon then. We do notice, however, that her undying willpower is so essential in keeping her going and getting her through every damn day of this process.

I think that by now we have all accepted the fact that she will have to succumb to it at some point, but we can only hope for nothing short of a miracle. I might not be a religious man, but I have faith in the doctors trying to help her. As has been stated: get your body checked regularly, especially after 40. Ovarian cancer is supposedly quite manageable if detected in an early stage, but does get very aggressive once it runs rampant.

Someone I met via an internet forum, and who has since become a close friend, was actually diagnosed with breast cancer as a male at a pretty young age. He didn't only heal, but now runs marathons. Truly inspirational.

Shagtastic likes this.
  34. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

I received a bottle yesterday from someone who shall remain nameless for now. When this first started I thought this was an amazing idea for a LIF and wasn't lookin for a bottle so I didn't tell a story, thought bottles should go to those that can celebrate kickin cancers ass. So the short version is that this will be opened on Christmas Eve to toast my Aunt Katie. Back in the 90's she was able to beat breast cancer after a short battle. Even looked on the bright side of things and told everyone that it wasn't so bad because she got free lipo and breast enhancement out of the deal. However her luck took a drastic turn ten years later when in early 2010 she was diagnosed with a brain tumor. On Dec. 12 2010 she passed away all too quickly.

This bottle will be opened by her husband, Uncle Frankie, and hopefullly her daughter Jennifer. I say hopefully because Jennifer has never touched beer, I think she has had wine. Maybe she will see this as a good enough reason to sample one, if not the other half of the bottle will go to her husband Jeff who just happens to like fruit beers and played a very important role for the entire family while going thru a very tragic 7 months.

Thank you to everyone involved!

Matt

edit: I will try to get at least one pic at christmas with them enjoying it.

Shagtastic likes this.
  35. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

An all-too-generous bottle of Framboise for a Cure from kristalynn and leschkie arrived at my doorstep a few months back. My mother had battled and defeated breast cancer http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...-kicked-is-kicking-its-ass.41891/#post-526961 years ago and to celebrate, the two aforementioned BAs thought it only right we open the bottle together at Thanksgiving. That was the plan, anyhow...

In a sick and cruel twist in my family's story, the bottle arrived the same day my 24-year-old sister was diagnosed with APL leukemia. Life was put on hold and my family rallied around her as she spent the next 46 days in a Northern California hospital. After a month and a half of battling the cancer, and aided by the miracle of modern medicine, my sister defeated the disease, officially being declared "in remission" in late November, days before Thanksgiving. :)

The holiday was a rushed, hurried get-together of visiting family members. My sister was still under doctors' watchful eyes, and alcohol was still a no-no at the time. The bottle of Framboise for a Cure was largely forgot about, sitting untouched in the cellar.

Fast forward to last night with my sister visiting for an evening of sushi (also a doctor's previous "no-no") and she asks me "Can we split a beer before dinner?" "Yes, yes we can." :)

[​IMG]
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...you-drinking-now-90.62692/page-10#post-856232

Sister is officially in-remission and doctors have told her "forget you ever had cancer." She will return to grad school in the Fall of 2013 with a new lease on life.

Again, a million thanks to kristalynn and leschkie for the bottle and the memory. Cheers!

Shagtastic likes this.
  36. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I did not get a picture, but was able to share the bottle with my aunt on Christmas. She was very grateful. Thanks again, Kurtis!

37. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Just wanted to give a quick update. My mother in law had her "dye test" (not sure of the scientific term) last week. Cancer is GONE!

I've been holding onto this bottle of FFAC to share with her when this happened because I knew it would!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts throughout this thread. This community is amazing!

ehammond1 and Shagtastic like this.