1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

FiftyFifty Brewing in Truckee, CA

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by bonercity, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I'm getting a cabin in Tahoe with some friends soon and we were hoping to buy a keg of something nice. I'd rather pick something up out there then haul it all the way from Sac.

I know that FiftyFifty is renowned for their barrel aged stouts, but does anyone have any experience with their other offerings? Something that they may have available in pony kegs? Any info would be appreciated.

2. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

I'm not even sure if they offer kegs for sale, but I really enjoy their saison du pric and totality stout.

3. I live close Almost everything they have is good! Facebook them they will reply within a day or two , usually fast and friendly

would recommend
    BART or
    ICED BART
    Total Imperial Stout ,which is the stout they age to make Eclipse
    Concentrated Evil , a good strong ale

4. The Donner Party Porter is their best year round beer, in my opinion. I've heard rumblings that it would be their first regularly bottled beer if/when they start bottling regularly.

RyePA is delicious as well.

5. Thanks for the info. I guess the first step would be calling them to see if they even offer kegs.

6. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

My vote is stay with dark beers - they better hide the flaws that seem to plague most of their light beers.

I recommend Donner Porter. Easy drinking and it tastes great.

7. aaaarrrrgh! Asked em about kegs, no dice. Any recs for a place in the Truckee/Tahoe City area that has craft brew kegs?

Might just have to hit Auburn Alehouse on the way up or something.

8. walterfredo

you might consider driving about 20-30 minutes passed truckee to reno, might have better luck. Call Ben's on Lakeside Drive (ask for Dan). There are actually 4 Ben's stores in Reno, but I think the Lakeside one has the best selection. Again, not sure if they have kegs but it's definitely worth a shot.

9. I picked up a couple kegs for a wedding last year at Lakeview Wine and Spirits in Tahoe City. You might want to give them a call and see what they might be able to get for you.

10. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I have a friend who I am hoping to cajole will stop in after his ski trip to Tahoe and pick up some goodies to take back.

Is it safe to assume they have growlers available? Whats the price on those?

I've never seen anything bottled other than the Eclipses and I'm pretty sure those are long gone for the season.

11. walterfredo

I haven't been there in a few weeks, but it's possible they still have bottles of Eclipse. Might have Iced BART too. From time to time they have BART in bottles. I usually get a growler of the Totality Imperial Stout (base beer for Eclipse) and I want to say it's about $20-$25, a bit expensive for a growler fill but it's delicious, and potent. The growler fill prices vary quite a bit depending on the beer, and they won't fill growlers of the barrel aged bears (eclipse, BART, concentrated Evil, etc.)

12. I've decided to haul up a pony of Rubicon IPA instead. But I will definitely check this place out when I get up there. Thanks for the suggestions.