FiftyFifty Eclipse experts, Question

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jbaakko, Sep 28, 2013.

1. jbaakko

jbaakko Aficionado (185) California Jun 22, 2013

So I picked up several bottles of 2012 Eclipse, and now I'm wondering...

SO the list says:
    Metallic Red Rebel Yell®
    Blue Old Fitzgerald®
    Green Rittenhouse® Rye
    Beige Bernheim® Wheat
    Black Evan Williams®
    Purple Elijah Craig® 12-yr
    Metallic Gold Mellow Corn
    White Elijah Craig® 20-yr
    Bronze Grand Cru
    Pink w/ Purple Swirls Coffee Eclipse
    Steel Grey GHS Special Blend

Of which, I know I have the Blue, Gold, Green, Black.

However, two of the bottles are an off black, don't believe they could be the Steel Gray. Possibly just the Black wax faded (which scares me, that means UV, I.E. sunlight).

Anyone? I can take photos if you'd like.

Josh Baakko
    San Diego

2. Gray is Jack Daniels.

3. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (425) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Tashbrew will sort this out for you.

4. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (435) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

I'm not an Eclipse expert, but I think you had to attend the Eclipse release party in Truckee, CA to acquire the GHS special blend (steel grey wax) .. so if you bought if off the shelf, you can eliminate that possibility.

5. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

No, the GHS blend was only available in bottles at GHS. It was on tap at the party though.

OP, without a picture I don't think we can really help you.

BlastBeats likes this.
  6. jbaakko

Didn't think it would be the GHS due to that fact, plus, as you can see the wax is dark Gray.
    [​IMG]

7. jbaakko

Both 2012, the black is BR/1 the Dark gray wax bottles are BR/2
    (sorry not an expert in Eclipse so...)

8. stupac2

Looks kinda like fitz to me, but I dunno. I do know that their wax fades pretty hard over time. You could e-mail them and ask, they're pretty responsive.

PaulStoneAnchor and jbaakko like this.
  9. jbaakko

Not Fitz, the Fitz is much more blue than that (have one of those to compare it to).

10. jbaakko

So I sent them an email, We'll see what they say.

11. Fluteswell

Fluteswell Savant (330) Maryland Feb 15, 2011 Verified

Looks like Evan and Old Fitz to me.

12. jbaakko

So, I determined that that photo might be misinterpreted, so I added the known Old Fitz bottle to the photo for a better comparison.
    [​IMG]

Also, should that happen to be a genuine GHS blend, should I go back an get more?

13. stupac2

Yes, I think it was the best blend they've ever done, and one of the best types period, but that seems incredibly unlikely to me.

jbaakko likes this.
  14. The fact that you are talking about "going back and getting more" tells me it is not the GHS blend -- it was sold in bottles only at GHS a long time ago. They are not selling it to-go (and may be totally sold out). If you bought it in a store, it is something else. Period.

The gunmetal color also has slightly shimmery metallic flecks. Yours looks like a standard, faded blue (Old Fitz).

It's probably the Jack Daniels.

15. Nope not Jack Daniels... Which was in 2009 only and Honey colored wax.

Based on color I'd say it was GHS Blend. I can't speculate where you got it but clearly it had a price tag. The distributor could have made a order pulling error and a case made it to a one off retailer somewhere?

16. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Advocate (705) California May 13, 2011 Verified

It is not the GHS. The GHS doesn't have a batch number on the bottles just the year(at least mine were that way). And the wax has silver flakes in it. My guess is it's Evan Williams that was put on display in direct sunlight

17. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (420) California Nov 7, 2011 Verified

Regardless of what it is (no expert) that is a great sticker on your fridge. I am a fan of the platform myself.

18. Honestly, I had the same thing happen as the OP. Picked up an eclipse with that same steel Grey wax in San Diego a few months back. Place looked like they had just gotten the case in or remembered they had it in the back, had all 12 sitting out on sale. Drank the mystery one side by side with an Evan Williams eclipse and they tasted very different. Actually, I'll admit I was clearing out some cellar space. Drank 6 different eclipses over the course of a week, all normal shelf ones minus the mystery bottle, and the mystery steel greyish one was the best imo.

19. jbaakko

Well, I found someone in the know at the store in question...

Turns out they got two cases of Old Fitz, and all 24 bottles were this grayish color. So I've got three Old Fitz. I'll compare them to the pure blue wax version.

20. jbaakko

Alicia at FiftyFifty says it strikes her as GHS, but I'm still going to lean on it being the Old Fitz (liquor store opinion based upon their order).

21. Out of curiosity since the same thing happened to me. Was this Mesa Liquor and Wine on Convoy? (I think it's Convoy atleast...)

22. stupac2

It does look like GHS, but that seems so unlikely...

23. jbaakko

Oddly, yes.

24. Maybe they just got a stray shipment in of GHS? I remember checking it against my other eclipse bottles and none of the other waxes looked similar to it. I also remember it being quite a bit more expensive than the other eclipses I've purchased, like $32.99ish per bottle but were also on sale. I did try it almost side by side with the other eclipses you've mentioned, over the course of a week though, and didn't think the mystery bottle tasted like either old Fitz or Evan Williams.

25. jbaakko

I got them for $25 a bottle (had a sale that day).

I'll compare one to the Old Fitz, maybe grab a few more bottles next week (Just cleared half a dozen Green Monster's from there).

26. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Savant (350) Illinois Feb 8, 2012 Verified

Found some bottles labeled old fitz on a shelf at a local shop, and they look almost exactly the same. I took some pictures, but I'm not sure how to upload them via my phone.

27. billverstein

billverstein Aficionado (210) Ontario (Canada) Dec 31, 2011 Verified

I saw some similar looking bottles at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa AZ, I believe also labeled Old Fitz. I scratched my head as well as my Old Fitz is the brighter blue. Probably just a different batch of wax.

28. Did this side by side tasting ever happen? I was at an out of the way store today and picked up one of these 'steel grey' looking 2012 bottles as I recalled reading this thread a while back. Being familiar with the series and knowing I've never seen that wax color for 2012 around, I pulled the trigger on buying it. Guy at the shop said he found a box of 2012 recently and there were three bottles of the grey mixed in with the Elijah Craig shipment and he had them set aside to ask the distributor when they came back in and things got misplaced in the shuffle, so they've sat until this year's came in and he just put them out without double-checking what they were. Last one left. Said he's been telling people they were a different year Elijah Craig. lol